• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes USO is actually less expensive than Leupold

westford86

Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Anchorage, AK
The subject of this thread probably makes no sense, right?

A few months ago I was trying to decide on a 10X scope for my SPR. Long story short I wound up with a SN-3... For a while I was going to go with a fixed power scope, the two best options seemed to be a USO ST-10 or a Leupold MK 4 10X. When similarly specked, Mil Dot or equivalent reticle and parallax adjustment, the USO is less expensive.

USO ST-10 - $1,311
Leupold Mk 4 M3 - $1,500

Why would anyone buy one of the Leupolds new when you can get a USO for less? Not to mention the USO is mil/mil or MOA/MOA if you want. Obviously when buying used you can get a Leupold way cheaper, but I'm strictly talking about purchasing new... After realizing this I thought it was odd that no one had mentioned it before in any of the threads I've come across. I am NOT Leupold bashing, I still think they're perfectly good scopes, but USO is hard to beat. I just fond it interesting that a USO could be had for less than an equivalent Leupold.

Re: USO is actually less expensive than Leupold

I have noticed the same thing, buy i went with the MK4, but it is still SPF with i_rep. but the Leupold has a side focus and USO at that price has AO

Just a quick note, the ST-10 is available in a side parallax version as well. The price is pretty much the same as a ST-10 with the ERGO parallax. This model is not listed on our website but it is available upon request.

The older MK4 10x and 16x scopes used to be awesome. I still have one of the old 16x's and love it. I haven't much experience with some of the newer lupey scopes, but the ST10 I had was a awesome scope, and great value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The older MK4 10x and 16x scopes used to be awesome. I still have one of the old 16x's and love it. I haven't much experience with some of the newer lupey scopes, but the ST10 I had was a awesome scope, and great value. </div></div>

The Mk4 fixed powers are suppose to be great, and from what I've seen the glass is really good; I've only looked through a 10x on a M1. They are also really good looking, very subtle and clean.

I'd like to get one of the Mk4 M3's some day. They can always be found for cheap used, I don't know why they don't hold their value better; especially compared to the less distinguished variable power Mk4's

If you want an M3 buy a used one, there are plenty of them out there (a friend of mine got one off ebay for 680$) and the warranty follows the product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The older MK4 10x and 16x scopes used to be awesome. I still have one of the old 16x's and love it. I haven't much experience with some of the newer lupey scopes, but the ST10 I had was a awesome scope, and great value. </div></div>
I've got one of the older 16x MKIV's and it is awesome but these new 5-25's are tempting me thinking I could shoot better-farther with another 9 power on the top end. The low end power seems very usefull too.

The fixed power mk 4 scopes are the best scopes Leupold has ever built. They are much better than the adj power scopes they build. Also I think they are now availible in mil/mil setups now. m5 turrets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgmaster1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fixed power mk 4 scopes are the best scopes Leupold has ever built. They are much better than the adj power scopes they build. Also I think they are now availible in mil/mil setups now. m5 turrets </div></div>
I was told the M5 turrets wouldn't bs available until after January. Good news is, they are retrofittable, meaning that a lot of those old MK4 fixed 10's and 16's will be back in the game.

the fixed power MK4 i found out are the best one's. the tubes are thicker than the adj. power MK4's and can with stand a lot of abuse. the adj. power MK4's are really VX III. if you go to leupold web sight and look at the specs the fixed 10x & 16x weigh more than the adj. power 40mm mark4's

Great.

Now JBW is going to raise his prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgmaster1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fixed power mk 4 scopes are the best scopes Leupold has ever built. They are much better than the adj power scopes they build. Also I think they are now availible in mil/mil setups now. m5 turrets </div></div>
I was told the M5 turrets wouldn't bs available until after January. Good news is, they are retrofittable, meaning that a lot of those old MK4 fixed 10's and 16's will be back in the game. </div></div>

The M5 knobs are available now on the variables. A buddy just received one this week. Not sure about the fixed scopes though.