• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing UTAH Shooters - No metal targets on BLM?

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
I recently moved to Utah on June 1st from Las Vegas. I've been looking on the BLM website and correct me if I am wrong but it says you cannot shoot at metal targets? Can somebody please correct me before I start cursing my brains out?

If you're referring to this: Target Shooting

Targets: Use paper, cardboard, or clay targets only. Use of exploding targets, explosive devices, or pyrotechnics is prohibited on BLM public lands in Utah (Fire Prevention Order). Please do not shoot at glass, metals, plastics, home appliances, electronic components, or furniture.

Notice how it says don't shoot at metal, but not at steel targets. I think this has been left like this and is loosely interpreted because practically anyone I see on BLM land that isn't shooting at 100 yards is shooting at something steel.

There are plenty of signs posted on BLM land cautioning against exploding targets but I have never seen one saying anything about steel targets. I shoot steel regularly I have never had an issue with BLM.

They probably mean cars, washers, dryers, TVs, microwaves, toasters, lamps, beer cans, propane bottles, gas lines, street signs, etc. that douchebags leave littering the ground with.

Ahhh yes. Thank you guys. I'm only shooting AR 500 steel which I spent a fucking fortune on so I kind of spazed out. I need to find a 1000 yard plus area somewhere in Utah but theres so many different types of ordinances I'm worried about being on a reservation, or near houses. I live in Draper, UT. Any of you guys that live in Utah can point me in the right direction, not asking for your hidden spot but maybe somewhere I can stretch my legs or just some handgun drills with steel plates?

I am out in Tooele County. There are places out here where you can shoot as far as you would like. Let me know if you need any help. Don't sweat it so much either you are now in a pretty gun friendly state. We could use more responsible shooters. Come get a load of some of the clowns out here on the weekend and you will see that you arent even close to the problem.

The long range shooting is so good in Utah I plan trips around it.
Enjoy the west desert sir.

I would just like to say that I love every last one of you. No homo of course. I'll be taking you guys up on some of that helpful advice. I just had two little boys born into this world last weekend so I'm trying to plan my time accordingly but all of you are very helpful, thank you.

Congrats on siring the next gen ultramen, Im totally serious if you wanna get together and shoot too. Theres lots of no homo shooters here, if your on FB, look up PCPR (Park City Precision Rifle) thats where most of the "good guys" you'll wanna run with can be found. You'll find no better group of guys to shoot with.