• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Utah Shootouts March 10, 2012 " VIDEO"

desertratdad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2005
SLC UT
www.utahshootouts.com
Utah Shootouts – March 10, 2012
no February shoot

VIDEO OF MATCH http://youtu.be/5JItJt3avfI

North Springs Shooting Range, Price, Ut

8:00 am gate open. Pay $5 to the range office

Donation: $10 for half day or $15 for all day.

Three events scored separately, shoot any or all.

9:00 am - Practical Precision out to 1000 yds. 50 rounds maximum.

1:00 pm – Practical Carbine 50 rounds minimum. Trial run for a April “carbine only” shoot.

3:00 pm – Practical Pistol 50 rounds minimum.

2012 Schedule is lower in number, higher in quality. Many new targets and scenarios.

March 10, 2012
April 14, 2012 carbine only
May 12, 2012
July 14, 2012
September 8 & 9, 2012 “Fourth Annual Utah State Sniper Shoot”
(Please start checking in with me for helping out this year again.)

Questions call or email Clint 801 599 1574 [email protected]

Email me if you want to be put on or taken off my email list.

Thank You,
Clint

p.s.
Watch your email and Sniper's Hide for a carbine only shoot April 14.

Re: Utah Shootouts March 10, 2012 (no Feb shoot)

Can't wait to get back down there and shoot with you guys, ill be there.

I'm in.....actually probably 2 or 3 of us!!

Im with ya Clint! I'll bring the 100 yard paper... guys let me know if you want to shoot from "THE WALLS". Was thinking of posibly doing a 100 yard "poker shoot" side match $5 a hand winner takes all???

Just curios, but are these going to be "run and gun comps, or will they be limited to a single position multiple shot comps?
Is your pistol going to be similar to the ipsc competitions requiring mag changes and running or is it stationary shooting only?

I'm asking because I want to come and just want to have a better understanding of the competition before I come and make a fool of myself infront of the rest of you.

count me in + 1 more. 2 total from up north possibly a 3rd but he is on the fence and won't know until we get closer to the day.

We haven't done a real run and gun (like 1/4 mile or so)for a long time, it takes to long to run shooters through. It was fun though.

There are some different positions and a little bit of movement on the practical precision. I usually don't know what till we start the match. Robert and Rodney design and run the 100, 600 & 1000 yard ranges.

I usually do the carbine and pistol. There is usually not a lot of movement. Maybe a few yards at the most.

Most of the time it's up to you to reload as necessary.

You can watch the videos of past matches. That will give you a really good idea of what goes on. They are usually on our website but it's down right now for improvements. You can go to youtube and type in utahshootouts and desertratdad and you should be able to see them.

Clint

I'll check the videos out and look at the website to see when its back up.

sounds like fun and looking forward to it.

@ Eznutz -
Rifles - you never know what position you might be shooting from. But its best to plan on prone, kneeling, sitting, and standing. supported and unsupported on any of those positions. Gun straight up or on its side.

Pistols - In the shoothouse you will move and shoot move and shoot. You wont be shooting while moving though.

Carbine- is stationary but at moving targets mostly.

Try to bring a bit more than 50 rounds of rifle. I'm at 41 rounds for the 600 (12), 1000 (14), OTE (15)ranges. I can adjust that down 1 or 2 if I need to. But this doesnt include the 100 yd range.

On the precision section are we allowed to change rifles mid-course? Only ask because I have a long range set up, but if I had to shoot standing I doubt I could hit something 5 feet away.

And just for info sake I'll be the +1 with Eznutz.

I'm gonna try and make it, but I might be in Montana
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the precision section are we allowed to change rifles mid-course? Only ask because I have a long range set up, but if I had to shoot standing I doubt I could hit something 5 feet away.

And just for info sake I'll be the +1 with Eznutz. </div></div>

I think you would be ok this time using two (bolt) guns on the morning practical precision. I haven't talked to Rodney and Robert to see for sure what they were planning. As we get closer to the USSS 2012 it will have to be two rifles only and one has to be a semi auto.

Rodney, I got a nephew +1 coming down from Washington for the shoot. As it gets closer we'll make sure there are rides for all to Price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the precision section are we allowed to change rifles mid-course? Only ask because I have a long range set up, but if I had to shoot standing I doubt I could hit something 5 feet away.</div></div>

The way its always been in Price is that each shooter brings 3 guns. 1 Long range, 1 carbine, 1 pistol.

You can shoot whichever gun you like at the 100 range, and at 600 range, and at 1000 range. You CAN NOT switch guns in the middle of a course. And definately not depending on whether your shooting supported or not supported.

Some OTE (Over The Edge) stages are designed for carbine, others for Bolt guns. The two stages we will have in March are Bolt gun stages. The one allowance we made for someone who is using a semiauto for long range is that they either shoot single feed or lock their bolt back before moving to new postition.

Everyone there has a long range setup. Unsupported is tough for everyone. We all hate it. My rifle is 15 lbs and mine is definately not the heaviest gun there.

Re: Utah Shootouts March 10, 2012

After a discussion with Clint and Robert it has been determined that for this next shoot it will still be that shooters are allowed 1 long range rifle and 1 carbine. If your long range rifle is you carbine thats fine too.

There wont be any official 100 yard range shooting in March. Everything will be either on the 600, 1000, or OTE ranges. So whatever rifle you choose to shoot for the 600 yard range will also be the same rifle you use for 1000 and OTE. No switching between rifles.

To answer a few PM's - I dont like posting what stages we will shoot on here just because we have shooters that dont visit this sight and that puts them at a disadvantage. Its best just to be prepared for everything whether we end up shooting it or not. All stages arent meant to be easy.

I do have a question for everyone though. Ive talked to several of you about the 100 yard range and the consensus is that everyone Ive talked to would rather not shoot more than 10-15 shots at that distance. Also Everyone mentioned they still like to shoot a few rounds at the 100 just to confirm zero if nothing else.
My question is....Would you guys rather just not shoot any 100 yard shots at all? You would still be able to shoot a few rounds before the match to comfirm your zero provided we werent having a Cold Bore Shot. Or would you prefer to have 10-15 rounds at the 100?

We want to make our shoot as fun and challenging as possible for our shooters so it helps if I know your opinions both good and bad. Feel free to PM me also.

Would having a magnified reticle (8x) on the carbine section be a huge disadvantage?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would having a magnified reticle (8x) on the carbine section be a huge disadvantage? </div></div>

Not huge no. Red dots of course are lighter and may help a bit on the moving targets but for the turners its about the same. The biggest disadvantage I woud say is the weight of a scope vs red dot. My Ar has a big heavy scope and a 24" barrel. Still saving up to get an SPR upper with a red dot.

The carbine match in the afternoon only goes out to 100 yds and goes fast. You have to get your sight picture fast and engage or the target will not be there anymore. In my brain that is the biggest problem with a high power scope.

We will have a short meeting this day, for those that are helping (and those wanting to help) with USSS 2012. To clarify a few things so I can finish up the official notice.

I'm game for skipping the 100 yard shots minus a confirm zero shots before we start. either way I'm looking forward to the comp and making a fool out of my self infront of the other hiders. This will be my first LR precision comp so with that in mind i'm pretty stoked. Tell doogie to quit being a pansy and man up to his ~18LB pig. He can outshoot me practically any day of the week so this is going to be fun to watch.

I also plan to have a side "competition" at the match just like in park city. Anyone who wants to participate can put $5.00 in the pot and the winner will get 70% of the pot, 2nd place will get 30%. I'll keep whatevers leftover for myself of course.

It may go up to a $10.00 side "competition" in the future depending on what you guys want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also plan to have a side "competition" at the match just like in park city. Anyone who wants to participate can put $5.00 in the pot and the winner will get 70% of the pot, 2nd place will get 30%. I'll keep whatevers leftover for myself of course.

It may go up to a $10.00 side "competition" in the future depending on what you guys want. </div></div>

Sounds like a good time for me to lose $5.

update on round count. The COF is complete for the LR rifle.
Round count is 46 rounds max.

Partial Spoiler: For the <span style="text-decoration: underline">cold bore shot </span>be sure you practice shooting at a moving target over your shoulder using a mirror while hanging upside down by one leg after being spun around 10 revolutions and at the same time.... Sorry thats all you get.

But dont get cocky, all the stages wont be as easy as this cold bore shot. There will be some difficult stages also.

I will rise out of the southeastern desert to engage in the fine art of banging steel with the brothern and to join brothers in arms as we rejoice in ceremonial shooting of long range targets which is our god given freedom of our right to bear arms. Amen

Count me in

ok Im coming out to play. new gun ready to shoot.see you boys there. Bob

We will be confirming some ground rules for USSS 2012 between the precision and carbine matches. A half hour should do it. All those interested are welcome.
Thanks, Clint

I'm in! This will be my first 3 gun shoot along with EZnuts and Doogie. I'm always down for a little good ole fashion humiliation.

I just put in the date of the "CARBINE ONLY" match at the top of this thread, in the list of dates for this year. April 14.

This will be totally separate from our monthly practical precision matches. Me and Dean will have a hell of a COF for you. Hopefully we will be combining with Cam and crew for this event.

Since I got all the targets working during the winter in the LE Area, I got excited about using them. There will be 47 (welllll, more than that) to watch for. Good guys, bad guys, whatever. Bring at least 200 rounds. A fair amount of moving.

I'll start a thread here after our March match.

We'll see how this type of match goes over.

Ya, since we're right there in the LE area we can do a pistol side match after.

Clint

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eznutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many more rounds will i need for the side comp? </div></div>
Rodney will have to tell us on the gamble stage in March. Not more than 10 I would imagine. If you were talking about the April after match pistol, bring at least 50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longrange4me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to keep the 100 yd shots.I think it adds a little more variety.

John </div></div>

Dropping the 100 yd is not a permanent thing. There has been a few times in the last 4 years we've not shot it. And times we haven't shot other areas. Just depends on how things get planned and set up.

Thanks for your input John

Amen Rev. Sandsniper, we will see all you brothers of the smokeless powder in Price.

Z

I have been meaning to get up there and shoot with you guys. I can't make it the 10th, but If you could put my email in the mailing list you were talking about I'd appreciate it.

[email protected]

How long to drive to Price from Vegas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been meaning to get up there and shoot with you guys. I can't make it the 10th, but If you could put my email in the mailing list you were talking about I'd appreciate it.

[email protected]

How long to drive to Price from Vegas? </div></div>

Got you on the list.

It looks like just over 400 miles

Just to remind everyone Saturday right after the morning practical rifle match, bring your lunch to the main cabin classroom. For a half hour I'll explain the plan for the Utah State Sniper Shoot 2012, get some input, make a few decisions, so that we are all on the same page. I will have the page there and everyone can have a copy. All are welcome.

Thanks, Clint

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronxdogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are we allowed to use suppresors at this competition?</div></div>

Encouraged to