• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VA advice please

dmuldrew

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 24, 2002
Missouri
I was recently denied a VA loan. I was in the USAR for 8 years in the 80s. When I called to inquire what was up, they have no records of me drilling after 1983. I'm pretty dumbfounded as I drilled regularly, went on annual training with the unit, and went to officers basic in that time period. The unit in question was decommissioned after the first gulf war, and no longer exists. I would assume records still exist somewhere, as well as pay records and things like orders to annual training. Any idea who to contact or how to correct these errors? FWIW I have a letter showing discharge from the unit when I resigned my commission in 1988. I was never active duty.

I have sent an inquiry to the VA, but I suspect that nothing happens quickly.

Re: VA advice please

You should have a DD214 (for Active and Reserve, National Guard Bureau 22 and I think an NGB 55 for Guardsmen). That is your proof of service for the VA.

Get your NGB Form. Take it to your local VA rep. Your local VFW is the best source to find out who is the best rep also. They will help you get squared away. COntacting VA direct will take forever so be proactive and get a local worker to make some calls.

PS If you cannot find your NGB form, call or go to your state STARC office, they will have your record of service and may be able to hook you up with what you need. Make sure you take your LES's with you as well as any orders for 2 week duty. If you know a guy who was a good NCO, take him with you because as we all know, NCO's lead the way
grin.gif

I have some documents, shouldn't the VA have access to the documents in the National Archive or do they use something different?

I have all the time in the world, but I feel bad for the sellers, cause they were planning on this sale to buy another house:(

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS If you cannot find your NGB form, call or go to your state STARC office, they will have your record of service and may be able to hook you up with what you need. Make sure you take your LES's with you as well as any orders for 2 week duty. If you know a guy who was a good NCO, take him with you because as we all know, NCO's lead the way
grin.gif
</div></div>

All this took place in the 80s, and the unit was dissolved after GW1, so finding any of those folks would be on the level of walking on water. And it was in another state too.

Your records are archived whether or not the unit was dissolved or not.

If you went to Officer Basic on Active Duty for Training you will have received a DD214 or a substitute certificate of service.

It is your responsibility to provide verification documents, as VA will make PAINFULLY clear. YOU served, they didn't, and unless you can document it they don't care.

Wish I knew 30 yrs ago I was supposed to be the official in charge of the records of my service. Kinda thought the US Army would deal with that. Guess I was wrong.

When anyone discharges they give you your personal hard copies -- I got mine as a departing Guardsman from basic and AIT, when I left the Guard, when I got commissioned from ROTC (the Reserve), and at retirement from the Regular Army.

They will have originals in the system somewhere -- if you didn't keep your copies you have to go through the process of getting certified copies.

If it was the Guard you go to your state Adjutant General's office (I did that twice for records over 31 years old).

If it's the Reserve you go to the State Army Reserve Command and Reserve Personnel Command. If it's active then you go to the G1 and Personnel Command.

Pain in the butt but do-able.

Only Active Duy gets a DD214. National Guard gets a form NGB, basically a state version of the DD. Regardless if your former unit was dissolved, the records should have went to STARC for filing or microfilm. Contact them and ask. IF you have anything showing OCS or anything else take it all to teh local VA rep and see what you can do