• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VA or NC?

kindabitey

See, nobody cares
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    With the housing market being what it is, looks like I'm having to expand my search area. Currently in VA, but a few places in northern NC along the US 220
    corridor (Madison, Mayodan, Eden) are within a 40 min. drive to work. That being said, any advantage to being in NC over VA?

One of them picked the right side of the war of Northern aggression and the other one didn't.

One of them picked the right side of the war of Northern aggression and the other one didn't.
    ummm you DO realize that Richmond was the capitol of the Confederacy. Right?

Right?!

M

edited to add: VA is turning more and more blue with the 9 NoVA counties, the beach area(s), and Richmond leading the way. Haven't been paying attention to North Cackalacky

ummm you DO realize that Richmond was the capitol of the Confederacy. Right?

Right?!

M

edited to add: VA is turning more and more blue with the 9 NoVA counties, the beach area(s), and Richmond leading the way. Haven't been paying attention to North Cackalacky

From what I've seen Virginia would be the better pick. NC has gone blue while Virginia, blue in the cities, had the balls to have 100 out of 106 counties declare themselves 2A amendment sanctuary counties. It also is the most historic of states with a true pride...though thats being eroded by the Yankees swarming south like locusts. I dont know about NC but Virginia is a 'Shall Issue' for CCW.

I mean, technically they were both in the successionist states, but Virgina was folded up pretty early and spent most of the war as union territory.

What I said isn't exactly correct.
    I'm no Civil War historian, but the last Capital of the Confederacy was Danville, VA. Prior to that it was Richmond, VA.

And none of that has fuck all to do with looking for a house in either state.

I believe that nc repealed the law, of the local sheriffs office having to approve the purchase of a firearm beforehand or having a "card" on file of the firearm you purchased

Sorry coffee is slow acting this morning.

Reactions: kindabitey
    I'm no Civil War historian, but the last Capital of the Confederacy was Danville, VA. Prior to that it was Richmond, VA.

And none of that has fuck all to do with looking for a house in either state.
    Wow, you are kinda bitey. I'll bet you aren't so cocky in person.

• Sad
    Reactions: Maggot
    In NC you had to have a CCW permit or apply through the sheriff’s office for a pistol purchase permit in order to buy a handgun. The pistol purchase permit is no longer required.
    Is NC universal background check yet. Northam did that to Virginia and Youngkin doesnt have the nuts to repeal it. Thats one thing I like aabout OK, its constittional carry.

Something to consider. I learned the hard way while living in VA, working overseas for a company out of AR, that you have to pay state income taxes in both. One deducts for the other, but still got snagged by local taxes and VA making up the difference to their tax rate.

Otherwise, both are purple as fuck and love to control their population as much as they can get away with. I lived in both and highly doubt I’ll ever set foot in either again.

Something to consider. I learned the hard way while living in VA, working overseas for a company out of AR, that you have to pay state income taxes in both. One deducts for the other, but still got snagged by local taxes and VA making up the difference to their tax rate.

Otherwise, both are purple as fuck and love to control their population as much as they can get away with. I lived in both and highly doubt I’ll ever set foot in either again.
    I'd probably head out to a more red state as soon as I retired, but after a chat with the boss this week, looks like I'll be drawing a check from work as long as I have a pulse.
    After I file for RR retirement, or whatever I can collect on, I'll most likely only be coming in for coffee and lunch, but will still be on payroll for as much as I can make.

I'd probably head out to a more red state as soon as I retired, but after a chat with the boss this week, looks like I'll be drawing a check from work as long as I have a pulse.
    After I file for RR retirement, or whatever I can collect on, I'll most likely only be coming in for coffee and lunch, but will still be on payroll for as much as I can make.
    Ah, gotcha, RR here too. That might make a difference tax wise, we have a lot of guys who work NE but hold WY residency to get out of NE income taxes, not really sure how it works like that but something to do with RR being a bit different law wise and only taxed in your state of residence versus where it's earned and having to file multiple returns like I had to when worked split states. Worth looking into with other guys at work to see how that sorts out, and might save you money on the NC side of the state lines if the drive isn't terrible.

Again though, law wise and all, they're pretty damn identical and really more dependent on local municipalities vs. the states themselves for any pro/con that's going to make a difference.

By then there wont be any red states. A few purples, maybe. Even OK is getting blue in the cities and the cities control the vote. If I were youong I'd consider colonizing the moon, the low gravity would make LR a dream. 30 mile shots. 🙃

NC may have a Dem governor, but the senate and house are both majority Republican (at least at this point). They overrode the governor's veto of repealing the sheriff approval for handgun purchase (you still have to do an easy class and then go through the sheriff for CCW, we're going through that process now).
    Right now VA seems to be somewhat 2A friendly, but that could change in the next election.

From what I read about NC, not sure its any prize, but I have never lived there. You need to investigate the county as much as the state before you decide. The NC pistol purchase permit thing (now removed) always made me think the state was retarded.

Who votes something like that in?

I am born and raised in VA, but in a different time when most of VA was conservative.
    I left VA and lived in AL for many years, recently moved back to VA for several personal reasons - this was a TEMPORARY move!

I am in a conservative county in VA, but fuck VA and all their bullshit tax/theft
    I am done being here and can't wait to move back to AL (I was in a conservative county in AL and loved it).

again look at the county level
    Check CCW process, even though VA is a shall issue, some counties require fingerprints and other stupidness to hassle the shit out of you before they issue (and high fees)
    VA also limits you to 1 handgun per 30 days purchase (if you have a CCW you can buy whatever, but there is extra paperwork on that)
    VA also has some dumb ass Virginia Firearms Transaction Record form to keep more data on you

Check local taxes, the VA car tax (all personal property taxed in VA) is some serious stupid theft that keeps going up with add on fees.
    Also check the local vibe. I live a little more rural and the vibe near me is good, but if I went 20 miles to the west, all that exists is leftist libtards driving priuses alone with masks on. Take a look around you, decide who you want for neighbors.

What does the local county sheriff think about gun rights and the constitution?

I doubt VA will ever have a republican gov after Youngkin, so expect things to get worse in future years. The dems that run for office in VA are extremists. VA house and senate are libtarded, its one reason Youngkin can't do much

Last edited:
    F I live a little more rural and the vibe near me is good, but if I went 20 miles to the west, all that exists is leftist libtards driving priuses alone with masks on. Take a look around you, decide who you want for neighbors.
    Such a shame. Charlottesville used to be a great place to live. Voted 95% blue for Joey. I left.

When 6 counties of 106 in the state control just about EVERYTHING.....f-k VA. We better hope the Dems don't win the next VA GOV race.
    It's more than that: 9 NoVA counties, Richmond, and the beach areas are the bluest and most populated

...and control how the state votes.

The other 80-90% of the state is very red. The further south and west you go, the redder it gets.

I live in the mostly red part of Prince William Co. Used to be pretty much all red, but the mcmansions have sprouted up where the cows used to be bringing the leftists out from farther in towards the city.

The board of county supervisors is mostly blue and keeps outvoting our rep from the Rural Crescent. The rest of the county is hosed. The BoCS keeps seeing all this undeveloped land ($$) They've raised property tax high enough that it doesn't pay to farm any more to get more houses and/or data centers built to hose this part of the county too

Not sure how much longer there's actually going to be a Rural Crescent the way its going

Getting a CCW wasn't tough. Elite shooting sports got bought by the county cops, meaning everyone that was shooting there is screwed. I hear that they passed an ordinance prohibiting any more indoor shooting ranges too. Asshats.

M

• Sad
    Reactions: kenny1773
    In NC you had to have a CCW permit or apply through the sheriff’s office for a pistol purchase permit in order to buy a handgun. The pistol purchase permit is no longer required.
    No longer true.

It's more than that: 9 NoVA counties, Richmond, and the beach areas are the bluest and most populated

...and control how the state votes.

The other 80-90% of the state is very red. The further south and west you go, the redder it gets.

I live in the mostly red part of Prince William Co. Used to be pretty much all red, but the mcmansions have sprouted up where the cows used to be bringing the leftists out from farther in towards the city.

The board of county supervisors is mostly blue and keeps outvoting our rep from the Rural Crescent. The rest of the county is hosed. The BoCS keeps seeing all this undeveloped land ($$) They've raised property tax high enough that it doesn't pay to farm any more to get more houses and/or data centers built to hose this part of the county too

Not sure how much longer there's actually going to be a Rural Crescent the way its going

Getting a CCW wasn't tough. Elite shooting sports got bought by the county cops, meaning everyone that was shooting there is screwed. I hear that they passed an ordinance prohibiting any more indoor shooting ranges too. Asshats.

M
    Virginia still has Greentop, which is a huge plus. More guns than God.

Fuck north carolina.

Up until the permit to purchase got killed it was easier to buy a gun in California than north carolina.

Fuck north carolina.

Reactions: Redmanss
    Back in the day when Greentop was in the original location it was shiznit! Now….just an overgrown Walmart with bullshit guns and bullshit prices. Selling grills, trendy clothes, fish baits for the masses, OAF gear, and I bet if you ask the right person…..jellydongs in the back room.

Back in the day when Greentop was in the original location it was shiznit! Now….just an overgrown Walmart with bullshit guns and bullshit prices. Selling grills, trendy clothes, fish baits for the masses, OAF gear, and I bet if you ask the right person…..jellydongs in the back room.
    I agree on the Wally World, but the last time I was in (a couple years ago) they still ahd a shit load of firearms. They had a counter full of pistols during the shortage.

I agree on the Wally World, but the last time I was in (a couple years ago) they still ahd a shit load of firearms. They had a counter full of pistols during the shortage.

Cause people wanting to buy them were walking out cause the "sales staff" were more interested in gabbing it up with their buds about the VCU basketball game. The frat mentality there is the problem. If they don't know you, they really don't care.

NC may have a Dem governor, but the senate and house are both majority Republican (at least at this point).
    Hopefully Robinson runs and gets it next year.

As for the NC/VA question, I've always been in NC and have had no problems out in the country of a small county.

I live in NW NC and work in VA.

They're very similar states with blue cities and red everywhere else.

That said, I sure as heck wouldn’t live anywhere around Eden or Henderson. The further west away from Eden things get nicer.

I live in NW NC and work in VA.

They're very similar states with blue cities and red everywhere else.

That said, I sure as heck wouldn’t live anywhere around Eden or Henderson. The further west away from Eden things get nicer.
    That’s good to know. I’ve considered a couple places in Eden/ Rockingham county.
    I’m probably going to keep to looking around in VA a little closer to work.

Here’s the thing…..I live in rural Va, I have no services, no water- have a well, no sewer- have a septic, no road maintenance- private drive, no garbage pick up….and EVERY FUCKING YEAR I gotta pay these ass hats personal property tax on my vehicles THAT I PAID WHEN I BOUGHT THEM. FOR WHAT? Just exactly what do I get for the over $2000 I pay for a 2017 GMC Canyon, a 2020 Subaru, and a 2014 BMW X 5(which I would never own another BMW…..but I digress) plus, I pay tax on my retirement income, tax on fuel…so the libtards can drive on the roads I help fund with their green fn pos cars, city personal property tax on top of county tax, real estate tax, and restaurant tax when I dine out!

Pretty much fuck Virginia…….and Joe Biden too!

Rural NC is great. Patriotic, hard working Americans. The cities suck, the liberal POS governor sucks (That is another topic....how in the hell he got elected when the state swept Republican in everything else). ODs and opiods are a big problem like rural everywhere. We are being flooded by outsiders and just like everywhere else mainly rural the real landowners are heavy convservative while they are packing libs in 1/4 acre cookie cutter neighorhoods. In my county there are more votes in a few neighborhoods than all the farms combined. I think the place will eventually be solid purple to blue because of these things. Short term for your needs I cant see any difference choose the best bang for your buck.

Please expand on what Virginia has?
    Property taxes are effectively .75% in VA, this will vary a bit by county. Social security isn’t taxed and other kinds of retirement income are tax deductible. NC does have better sales tax.

This is based on some basic research, it looks like JM4590 has first hand experience that counters what I said.

We just moved from PA to a suburb of Raleigh in a new development of 38 houses. As much as being in a more rural area would be nice, being old with health issues we need to be near good healthcare, which is part of what drove our decision for location. A would say at least 75% of the neighborhood is conservative, and my two closest neighbors are also gun guys. Plenty of shooting opportunities in the area. Thankfully that gun buying permit thing was done away with. It was suprising coming from a northern state that the regulations in PA were more relaxed than in NC.
    And NC does that tax on cars as well, which SUCKS, especially if you own a classic car. But the property taxes are so much less, we're still ahead of the game. And compared to the taxes in NJ where I'm originally from, it's miniscule (I know people who are paying as much in property taxes as half my mortgage payments)

Property taxes are effectively .75% in VA, this will vary a bit by county. Social security isn’t taxed and other kinds of retirement income are tax deductible. NC does have better sales tax.

This is based on some basic research, it looks like JM4590 has first hand experience that counters what I said.
    i wasn't aware that SS isn't taxed here in VA, so IF it's still around when i need it, that's a plus. but yeah they rape you big time with real estate and personal property (vehicles) taxes. from the one thing i just read, the first $12k of retirement income (ie 401k withdrawals) isn't taxed in VA so that helps a little..

In NC soc. sec. is not taxed. Retirement income is taxed at the normal rate of 4.99%. Since I'm managing to live off the interest from my 401k, I pay more on my cars than I do my income. At least to the state.

Taxes in VA vary wildly by county

Example
    here is Green county
    1694996389757.png

Here is Louisa County

1694996471314.png

Homes in Greene are generally more expensive than Louisa, so while the tax rate isn't really different, you end up paying a lot more due to assessed value in one county.

These counties are not far from each other, its not like I picked wildly different places in the state to illustrate my point.

What Greene calls 'personal property' includes vehicles and is over double the rate of Louisa

Watch the fine print and watch exactly where you buy if you decide to live in this declining state

Reactions: MtnGhost
    and another thing!

Virginia has these DUMB ASS FUCKING car inspections that have to be done every year.

Its nothing but a money grab for the mechanics. If your car is outside the warranty period, they ALWAYS find something wrong with your car (or make something wrong with your car). For cars that are in warranty, they tell you that you need new wiper blades, and they tell you they can do that for you now so you don't to come back for a re-inspection for the low low price of $100 (for the cheapest blades China sells direct)

I got into it one year with an inspector, I was so fucking pissed at them for making shit up. He said he was failing my car for brakes. I was like can you be more specific? the pads the rotors, what? oh the brake pedal, it doesn't feel right.

Me: Can you be more specific?
    Inspector: it's too soft
    Me: Did you perform Toyota's test on the pedal firmness (There is a detailed spec for N·m applied to the pedal and mm traveled)

inspector: um no, I have 20 years experience and the pedal is too soft
    Me: can you please pull the Toyota spec and test the pedal per their requirements?

Inspector: I don't need Toyota spec to tell me the pedal is too soft, I can tell, you probably need new master cylinder, this car is totally unsafe to drive.

Me: ok that is your uneducated opinion, Toyota has a specific test for this you need to follow, can I speak to your manager?
    inspector: My manager is the state police, here is his card, you can call him, but I am putting a rejection sticker, car isn't safe you should have someone come pick you up, you might get killed or kill other people on your way home

Me: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLOOOOOLLLLL fuck off give me my keys you stupid piece of shit. I am calling your manager.

I called the big boss man and set an appointment with the Virginia state police to have this asshole's manager inspect my car personally. I explained that I know more about cars than the typical person and what the inspector told me was some of the most ridiculous uneducated assessment of a brake pedal i have ever heard.

I brought the Toyota shop manual to the state police along with my car. Yes, I have the shop manual published by Toyota for my car. I had the page marked, and I went over that with the state police officer. He AGREED with me that Toyota is the subject matter expert and when in question the Toyota process should be followed. We had a long discussion about the subjectiveness of a 'soft pedal' vs using the test from Toyota.

Then he asked me, would you authorize me to drive your car? I said yes absolutely, there is nothing wrong with my brakes and I would love for you to drive it before we run the Toyota test on the pedal firmness

He drove my car for all of 2 minutes, came back and said, there is nothing wrong with you car, can you tell me more about your interaction with my inspector? Did you upset him in any way BEFORE he told you he was not passing your car? I said nope, I didn't say or do anything other than give my keys to the receptionist/cashier person and ask for an inspection, and I sat in the waiting room until the inspector came and found me to discuss my unsafe brakes.

I got angry when he fed me the line of bullshit about his level of experience and he can just tell the master cylinder needs replaced because the brake pedal doesn't feel right. He also quote said "this car is not safe to drive you should have someone come pick you up". We had a long discussion about that outright lying/deception and scare tactic to get me to agree to let them put in a new master cylinder.

I ended up winning, had to take more than 1 day off work, got my blood pressure boiling, who needs to deal with this lying cheating bullshit every year, year after year, for every vehicle you own? NOT ME, this is another thing I loved while I lived in Alabama, no bullshit car inspections.