• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget powder replacement

Engrmikl

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2013
Hey guys.
New reloader setting up on a Hornady LNL AP. I have been told not to try the larger cut powders(meaning Varget) in the power drop system because it binds up the drop assembly.
I am looking for a good powder in short cut to reload some 308 with 168-176 SMKs. I am going to try the H4841SC for a 300WSM with 210 and 220 SMKs.
Any help would be great. Thanks

Varget is proven to be a great powder for the .308 and it's very temperature stable. I personally would not give up on Varget just to make my reloading easier.

You say you have been told not to try it...so does that mean you haven't tried it in your powder dropper?

Here's a burn rate chart that will help you out...look for those close to Varget and then verify with the powder manufacture that it can be used in your particular loads.

vvburnchart.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered some Norma 203B from Powder Valley as a substitute for Varget.

If you want a substitute that meters well, try AA 2520. It is a ball powder and closely matches Vargets burning rate.

The problem is temp stability with the ball powders. None will give you what Varget does. It's give and take. You want ease of metering then you have to give up some temp stability.

If you just want plinking ammo loaded easily on a progressive try CFE223. Meters great and people are using it with the 308 and 168s. Search it here for some load data.

Hey guys.
New reloader setting up on a Hornady LNL AP. I have been told not to try the larger cut powders(meaning Varget) in the power drop system because it binds up the drop assembly.
I am looking for a good powder in short cut to reload some 308 with 168-176 SMKs. I am going to try the H4841SC for a 300WSM with 210 and 220 SMKs.
Give IMR 8028 XBR a try. It is slightly faster burning than Varget, but comparable. Works fantastic in a progressive press. Not as temperature stable.

H4895 is just a tad faster burn, but does good with 155-168 loads in 308. Usually pick up 50-85 fps over varget my experience. In is an extreme powder and is finer grained then varget. 2 kernals of varget is .1 gr, 4-5 kernals of h4895 is .1 gr. Might also try benchmark or 8208, i never got the 8208 to shoot good in 223 or 6 br but u might have luck. If u are scared of varget in ur powder measure then h4831sc will completely be out. It is short cut, but still the kernals are 1.5-2x bigger then varget. It weighs the same,.1 gr=2 kernals.

Thanks guys.I think I might go with Thrusty on try the Varget and see how it feeds through the powder measure. The temp stability situation might be prudent since most of my shooting is South Florida with high temp and humidity.

In 223 with 77s and 223AI with 80s, 8208XBR gives me higher velocity and better accuracy than Varget. Meters much better, too.

It also has proven to be comparably temp stable, from 20 to 95F.

Hi guys, I just wanted to let everyone know that I just got an 8 lb jug of Varget and it is cut finer and meters extremely well. I guess Hodgdon decided to make it even better!

Hi guys, I just wanted to let everyone know that I just got an 8 lb jug of Varget and it is cut finer and meters extremely well. I guess Hodgdon decided to make it even better!

That would be good news. Can anyone else out there confirm this? I haven't read anything on the web or publications about this. Maybe someone can post a good close up photo of "Old" Varget and "New" Varget.

That would be good news. Can anyone else out there confirm this? I haven't read anything on the web or publications about this. Maybe someone can post a good close up photo of "Old" Varget and "New" Varget.

STP61365.jpg

Does this help? This is the actual jug.

H414 should do very well, and it is currently available several places. It should meter better than anything else. Not as temperature stable, but that should not be critical.

The .308 is not a fickle round and likes lots of powders. I've had great success with All those mentioned in addition to Ramshot TAC, BL-C2, 4064 and my new favorite Alliant Power Pro 200OMR. It really is fairy dust in that it flows like water and gives amazing velocity with goos accuracy. It's close to TAC and CFE but faster.

That is great on the new smaller Varget. All we need to do now is find some.
I see Danco mentioned the new CFE223. It is spherical not extruded. Has anyone tried it yet. I see the ft/s along with the pressure is up there.

Hey guys.

I'm almost positive that the shortcut 4831 is the same size as varget. Varget is already a short cut powder so not sure how shorter they can go, maybe thinner? Would be interesting to see pics of the 'new' shorter cut blend vs 'old'.

To answer your question the only thing that will work markedly better as far as metering goes will be ball powder and I haven't found one that works as well as varget, 4064, Rl15.

Well, I can't find Varget, new or old to save my soul. Regarding the metering of the powder, does anybody still use the dipper system? Any leads on where to find Varget available would be great, too.

Man oh man if you can find Varget then get it. But I am kinda partial to H4895 for 168's and .308.
I really like the CFE 223 with 178 AMAX & Nosler 180's for .308 too.

.308 & IMR 4064 can't really go wrong either.

I've been using Imr4895 with my 155gr scenars lately and I've had incredible results. It's a little faster burning than varget and will run about 50-60 fps faster than varget. I shot this three shot group this morning at 900yds with 45.5gr imr 4895 and 155gr. Scenars.
tuqupygu.jpg

I wouldn't try 2000-MR on the 300 WSM, but I've heard it meters like a dream for heavy 308 and 223. I have an 8 lb jug inbound that I'm using for my 223 to conserve the limited amount of Varget I have on hand.

You've probably seen the notice by Hodgdon that demand is the reason for the shortage of powders on the shelf. See here http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Web Page Buying Surge.pdf

But, if you search the website of the company that makes Hodgdon powder in Australia, you get a different explanation lately. See here

Disruptions to powder supply
6 June 2013

ADI Powders are aware that some of our customers may have lately experienced some difficulty in getting hold of some of our powders. We are aware of some temporary disruptions to powder supply at the moment, resulting in a few localised powder shortages. These disruptions are due to a combination of several factors, including regulatory changes, operational changes by transport contractors, and changes to our distribution arrangements. We are working with our distributor to address the issues created by these changes. ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide

I'm wondering wherein the truth lies?

You've probably seen the notice by Hodgdon that demand is the reason for the shortage of powders on the shelf. See here http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Web Page Buying Surge.pdf

But, if you search the website of the company that makes Hodgdon powder in Australia, you get a different explanation lately. See here

Disruptions to powder supply
6 June 2013

ADI Powders are aware that some of our customers may have lately experienced some difficulty in getting hold of some of our powders. We are aware of some temporary disruptions to powder supply at the moment, resulting in a few localised powder shortages. These disruptions are due to a combination of several factors, including regulatory changes, operational changes by transport contractors, and changes to our distribution arrangements. We are working with our distributor to address the issues created by these changes. ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide

I'm wondering wherein the truth lies?

So that's the reason why I haven't seen any H335 in months.

You know, we really need to bring manufacturing of reloading components back to these shores. Over-regulation was one of the reasons American powder manufacturing went overseas. Now that our few overseas suppliers are experiencing increasing regulation, this is ipso facto infringement of the right to keep and bear arms. I'd love to invest in an American company that supplies reloading components. Preferably it should ONLY serve civilians and no government agencies.

As I said in the other thread, I read the letter as being for AUSTRALIAN customers, dealing with Austrailain regulatory issues with getting powder.

I have been looking around about for the new Varget. There is a handful of ads on Gunbroker with Varget so been looking at the photos. Only one of them shows the label with the words "Small Grain" like the one shown above. I did find a place called Lohmans that will take back orders(they say 8 weeks but ??) just not sure what you get.

Use Varget. Change the powder measure. I changed to a JDS Quickmeasure with the progressive conversion. I use it to load precision 260, 308 and 7 WSM. Size my cases and trim in separate operation and then prime,
powder, seat bullet, and crimp(optional) for my semi 308 loads. If not for my semi auto, takes about 2 seconds to take that die out. Fastest way for me to produce match ammo in shortest amount of time. Checked on a accurate
beam scale, its just as accurate as my RCBS Chargemaster.

okay i am new loader and looking for 308 load but using 168 grn and varget powder lupua brass and fed primers

If you want to be lazy. Buy ball powder like IMR. Measures a lot smoother.

But if you want a little better all around performer stick with cagey than IMR.

I always trickle. And no you don't have to buy a fancy $100 trickler.

I usually set it a little lower than my load. And use a empty case filled to the rim or a old scooper from a old protein jug and tap and let a few sticks fall till I get the scale to 0 where I want my load for every case. A little time consuming yea.. But we're make precision ammo the little things matter.

If your loading plinking hand gun or rifle ammo hell go for it use ball but in the LR game cutting corners will do just that on the line.