• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget questions?

besheff.308

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
Madera California
Okay, so I am going to receive a .308 pretty soon and plan on shooting 175 SMK's due to the twist rate. So far I have found everything out except for the powder. Of course no one can say X powder is the best, but most agree that Varget is used most. However I read alot of posts and articles about how much Varget velocity changes between lots. Since I do not yet have easy access to a chronograph, I still do but it is at a friends about a hour away I was wondering if anybody could answer the questions below.

Does varget still have this problem?

If it does still have this problem am I better off starting with a different powder or is varget so much better than any other powder I should just buy a 8lb jug right off the bat?

Most of what I read advises me to just buy an 8lb jug (1100-1200 rounds) and adjust to the next 8lb batch.

I just figured I would ask here and get more current oppinions.

Connor

Re: Varget questions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: connor55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However I read alot of posts and articles about how much Varget velocity changes between lots.</div></div>

Every powder I have used has shown some change from one lot to another, some more than others (not every single time I've changed lots but some times). Varget is actually one of the powders that for me has shown the least amount of change lot to lot. That being said, I do recommend buying the 8lb jugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: connor55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, so I am going to receive a .308 pretty soon and plan on shooting 175 SMK's due to the twist rate. So far I have found everything out except for the powder. Of course no one can say X powder is the best, but most agree that Varget is used most. However I read alot of posts and articles about how much Varget velocity changes between lots <span style="color: #FF0000">not by much</span>. Since I do not yet have easy access to a chronograph, I still do but it is at a friends about a hour away I was wondering if anybody could answer the questions below.

Does varget still have this problem? <span style="color: #FF0000">not that I am aware of this is no more volitale a change than any other powder , you will never get the same velocity from a 10 roound string NEVER!! what you need to consider is the spread </span>

If it does still have this problem am I better off starting with a different powder or is varget so much better than any other powder <span style="color: #FF0000">Varget seems to be less heat sensative than others</span> I should just buy a 8lb jug right off the bat?

Most of what I read advises me to just buy an 8lb jug (1100-1200 rounds) and adjust to the next 8lb batch. <span style="color: #FF0000">test it if you like it or reloader 15 then buy say 16 to 32# if you can afford it all same lot </span>
I just figured I would ask here and get more current oppinions.

Connor </div></div>

Thanks for the input so far. One of the reasons I was looking into varget is the fact that it handles heat well.

Also, I would like to spend my time shooting and not reloading. That being said I do spend time on case prep, not as much as I should. So I was trying to reduce some variables without doing too much. And there is no way in hell I am going to buy 16-32 at a time. I do not shoot nearly enough for that.

Once again thank you and have a good day.

Connor

I had more luck with Reloader 15 than varget. But I did have good groups with Varget also.

But I have a bunch of friends that run Varget.

Either buy several bottles with the same lot number or buy a 8lb jug. But stick with the same lot number.
If you can't stick with the same lot number, when you change lot numbers, load a few rounds and shoot them through the chrono and verify that they are the same speed as the previous lot was.
I lost 30 FPS the other day on a different lot of powder.
I just happen to stop and pick up a jug of powder from somewhere that I dont usually buy from. First time that had ever happend to me.