• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget substitute?

bigfish_7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2012
texas
Don't want to pay $400.00 for 8lbs on GB. Anybody had any luck w Vit N140 or N540? Somewhat new to reloading looking at burn rates and availability.

Don't want to pay $400.00 for 8lbs on GB. Anybody had any luck w Vit N140 or N540? Somewhat new to reloading looking at burn rates and availability.

With the shortages right now be happy with whatever you can get.

edit: to put it in a nicer way pick up a reloading manual, make a list of all the powders they list for your caliber and bullet and then go from there. N140 and N540 are good stuff but expensive, around 40$ a pound where I am :(

N140 would be a great candidate right now. It works wonderfully, and is pretty easy to get right now.

+1 for re15 and viht n140. Both shoot lights out in relative charge weights as varget. 5.56 or .308.

Anyone use H4350?

Yes, but in my 30-06. Even Hodgdon doesn't list a .308 load sheet.

IMR-4064 has been a great fall-back for me. Good accuracy and even showing up on the shelf regularly at Cabela's locally.

Also finding that CFE223 is a good, accurate powder for my 168 and 175 gr loads in .308. Combined with the fact that it meters great in my dillon powder measure it's my choice for all my "bulk" ammo in .223 and .308.

While Vihtavouri powders are undoubtably good products, their supply has always been spotty here in the Upper Left Corner of the Country. Put in a good supply of 3N37 a few years ago for my 9mm loads but haven't seen it for a long time, even before the latest craziness.