• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

varmint ar

aloreman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2011
orangeville pa
I am looking into an AR for my next prairie dog hunt. Most manufacturers are using an 8 twist barrel. What weight bullets are you guys using in these and are you having any luck with 55 grain bullets.

Re: varmint ar

I've been using midway dogtown bullets with great success. They are made by nosler and they are cheap perfect if you're going to shoot a lot.

i have had real good luck with hornady 75gr bthp, and sierra 77 smk's.. shooting them out of a 20 inch varmint 1:8.

My go to load for Prairie Dogs is a 55g Nosler BT over 26g of W748 with Remington 7 1/2 primers in Winchester Brass. I always load a couple of thousand of these over the winter for the next years hunt. I own nine rifles chambered for .223 of 5.56 and this load is consistantly one of the most accurate loads in all of them. It shoots under 1/2 moa in my Savage,(1 in 9 twist), between 1/2 and 3/4 moa in my 24" RRA Varminter,(1 in 8 twist) and right at 3/4 moa in my HB CZ 527,( 1 in 9 twist). You can get very accurate loads in the heavy bullets but they are not varmint bullets. Some of the thin jacketed bullets come apart at the high rpm the fast twist gives the bullet but I have never had this happen with any of the poly tiped bullets. Good luck.

If possible try and find one with a 1 in 10 or 12 then use the 53gr v-max. Better BC (not much, but everything helps). Same effect but little farther range than the 55gr.

Granted...I've only used the 55gr V-max before these, but they performed great! It's fun watching the dogs fly. There are less expensive ones that people say work just as great though.