• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varmint load for 6.5

BeardedNewGuy

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2020
South Central PA
Me and my buddy i varmint hunt with 6.5 CM. I want to use the hornady 95grain v max but just like anything else they are gone. Is there any other bullets I can use that I may still be able to find. I already have brass and primers and powders. Just need a bullet to use.

Basically anything .264 you can get to shoot decent. It’s just a dog, no need to get picky. Problem with a lot of factory 6.5cm rifles is they will be picky on what lighter weight projectiles they stabilize And even a 95gr will mess the pelt up pretty good so you might as well just shoot whatever you can load up.

Reactions: Ronws
Basically anything .264 you can get to shoot decent. It’s just a dog, no need to get picky. Problem with a lot of factory 6.5cm rifles is they will be picky on what lighter weight projectiles they stabilize And even a 95gr will mess the pelt up pretty good so you might as well just shoot whatever you can load up.
This is spot on. I would say that "varmint loads" are only appropriate for older, big game cartridges that don't have the modern ballistic performance of the 6.5 CM. In those older cartridges, the reason for going with a lighter bullet was to gain velocity and get a flatter trajectory, maybe out to 300 or 400 yds. It might do a little less pelt damage, but that depends on so many other things that can't be controlled. The whole point of the 6.5 CM is to use a much better bullet and cartridge that isn't so dependent on speed. For coyotes, I use the same Hornady 143gr ELD-X or Nosler 140 gr RDF that I use for hunting (deer and up) or shooting matches. One huge advantage a 6.5 CM can give you over other favored varmint cartridges or loads (think 22-250 Rem or a 90 gr 270 Win) is the capability to threaten smart coyotes out in the 500-600 yard range and beyond. I've been on many a stand with my 4000 fps, 50gr, 22-250 Rem and the coyotes hang up at 600 yards. Can't touch them with that light, fast, bullet set up. Different story with a 6.5 CM and the 140gr it's meant to shoot.

I have some 130gr Berger vld hunters if your intr
This is spot on. I would say that "varmint loads" are only appropriate for older, big game cartridges that don't have the modern ballistic performance of the 6.5 CM. In those older cartridges, the reason for going with a lighter bullet was to gain velocity and get a flatter trajectory, maybe out to 300 or 400 yds. It might do a little less pelt damage, but that depends on so many other things that can't be controlled. The whole point of the 6.5 CM is to use a much better bullet and cartridge that isn't so dependent on speed. For coyotes, I use the same Hornady 143gr ELD-X or Nosler 140 gr RDF that I use for hunting (deer and up) or shooting matches. One huge advantage a 6.5 CM can give you over other favored varmint cartridges or loads (think 22-250 Rem or a 90 gr 270 Win) is the capability to threaten smart coyotes out in the 500-600 yard range and beyond. I've been on many a stand with my 4000 fps, 50gr, 22-250 Rem and the coyotes hang up at 600 yards. Can't touch them with that light, fast, bullet set up. Different story with a 6.5 CM and the 140gr it's meant to shoot.

I have a 6.5prc for just this reason. Where I deer hunt there's some pretty open places where I can hunt coyotes. Ill be hunting dogs and scouting while using the dogs as prep for longer game. Win win win. Dead dogs, more deer, long dog shots more dope on my deer rifle.

I shoot 130 Berger VLD Target at everything. You might consider the 123 Lapua Scenar as well. Both of those are readily available right now.

I have some 130gr Berger vld hunters if your intr

I have a 6.5prc for just this reason. Where I deer hunt there's some pretty open places where I can hunt coyotes. Ill be hunting dogs and scouting while using the dogs as prep for longer game. Win win win. Dead dogs, more deer, long dog shots more dope on my deer rifle.
I been thinking about your offer. Been doing research and trying to find a good bullet. I really want the 143 eldx but so does everyone else.

I been thinking about your offer. Been doing research and trying to find a good bullet. I really want the 143 eldx but so does everyone else.
The 143 gr ELD-X is awesome, but I've shot the Berger VLDs as well and they are every bit as killer on game as the ELD-Xs. I was lucky enough in 2019 to get a shot at a good 5x6 bull elk and the 185gr Berger Hunting VLD did the job with one shot. Same with my son's NM Oryx the year before, and another good size elk the year before that. Both bullets are the cat's meow.

Me and my buddy i varmint hunt with 6.5 CM. I want to use the hornady 95grain v max but just like anything else they are gone. Is there any other bullets I can use that I may still be able to find. I already have brass and primers and powders. Just need a bullet to use.
Try Nosler 120gr BT

Reactions: smcfarland
Bump hoping someone has a 95 v max load, tried 120 noslers with no luck in a kimber 84m but it likes factory hornady varmint express 95

Reactions: Ronws
I have had good luck with the midsouth match monster 123gr bthp bulk packs. They are just Nosler Custom Comps repacked to bulk and are usually available. Not really a varmint designation but thin match jacket and .510 bc and i have found them easy to push to 3000fps with several powders in 6.5 CM and 6.5x47.

I have a sub MOA 95 VMax load for 6.5 CM that works in my OEM Tikka CTR Barrel
Work your loads up and be a responsible reloader - the throat in a Tikka Chamber is LOOOONG....
Peterson SRP Brass
CCI BR4 Primer
42.6g AR Comp
with the 95p VMax
OAL is 2.690"
5 Shot String Average: 3366 fps
SD 4.6
ES 9

I use the 95 VMAX with 42.4 gns of varget and a win large rifle magnum primer. I get 3210 out of a 20” Bergara B-14 HMR. I get .5 groups at 100. Its great on rock chucks and long shot P- dogs.