• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vector prefit....dosent prefit.

Sincerd

Drone
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
Freestate
Recently purchased a hand tight vector prefit off someone off the hide. Just want to make sure this isnt a mistake I'm making. Watch plenty of videos on how to install the barrels.

When I put the barrel on hand tight it will not chamber a round. I actually will only chamber around if I unscrew the barrel almost three full turns.

A few questions...

1. Can someone take calipers to a vector prefit hand tight barrel and tell me what your reading is from the chamber end of the barrel to the shoulder.

2. Is there anything else that could have caused this?

You are chambering new, unloaded brass right? If not, headspace gauges wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I cannot get the bolt fully forward and definitely can get the bolt down. Unless the shouldered prefits sometimes require shims. And alot of shims at that. I think the barrel may be cut wrong.

I cannot get the bolt fully forward and definitely can get the bolt down. Unless the shouldered prefits sometimes require shims. And alot of shims at that. I think the barrel may be cut wrong.

Sounds like it isn't made for your action. Maybe it is for a different Curtis action or one of the other actions on the market that commonly use prefits. Does it have a flat after the threads where the Vector set screws would tighten down on?

Reactions: Fylamaw
It should be .725
Screenshot_20200209-230116_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sounds like it isn't made for your action. Maybe it is for a different Curtis action or one of the other actions on the market that commonly use prefits. Does it have a flat after the threads where the Vector set screws would tighten down on?

The thread clearly stated vector barrel. And was actually selling the barreled action with an extra barrel. I bought the extra barrel.

Axiom.would be .680 and vector is .725 from face to shoulder.

I'd start with a factory spec sized case or pull the bullet from a factory round depending on cartridge you could just be experiencing a short free bore

With all due respect to others, 3 revs (+/-) is .0625" x 3 = .1875", which would be the gap between the front of the action and the shoulder of the barrel trunion. I seriously doubt your brass is that far out of spec. I would agree that you should get a set of headspace gauges. However, I think they're just going to confirm that the prefit barrel prep is wrong for your action.

What caliber is it?
My 6mm creed won’t chamber factory Hornady ammo because I have a shorter freebore,maybe this is the case with your barrel.

Recently purchased a hand tight vector prefit off someone off the hide. Just want to make sure this isnt a mistake I'm making. Watch plenty of videos on how to install the barrels.

When I put the barrel on hand tight it will not chamber a round. I actually will only chamber around if I unscrew the barrel almost three full turns.

A few questions...

1. Can someone take calipers to a vector prefit hand tight barrel and tell me what your reading is from the chamber end of the barrel to the shoulder.

2. Is there anything else that could have caused this?

If you are roughly 3 full turns before bolt will lock on a round, that is roughly 0.150 - 0.187" of difference. That is a butt load and way out of bounds for differences in brass/headspace. Either the caliber is incorrect or the barrel is for a different action.

./

Multiple people here have told you to not use loaded rounds. If you are hitting the lands with the factory ammo at it's OAL then that defeats the point. Ideally you'd own headspace gauges.

These threads are become way too common and literally fucking retarded when you give people advice and it gets totally ignored. Don't ask for help here if you aren't going to follow the suggestions.

Multiple people here have told you to not use loaded rounds. If you are hitting the lands with the factory ammo at it's OAL then that defeats the point. Ideally you'd own headspace gauges.

These threads are become way too common and literally fucking retarded when you give people advice and it gets totally ignored. Don't ask for help here if you aren't going to follow the suggestions.

Not getting ignored but without a gage I wont be able to do anything until i go out friday. If anyone has any input before then doesn't hurt to talk about it.

Not getting ignored but without a gage I wont be able to do anything until i go out friday. If anyone has any input before then doesn't hurt to talk about it.
What is friday going to tell you if you still dont have a head space gauge?

Youve been given the tenon measurements. You havent said how yours compares.

You havent said where the factory loaded ammo (which is a piss poor gauge) is interfering with the chamber.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1moaoff

I understand that, but there really isn't much else that anyone can suggest until you provide us with some return info. We genuinely want to help you but there is little that we can suggest in these cases.

Without gauges or a bullet puller you could just rip a bullet out of a case with a pair of pliers, empty the powder and then try it out.

Reactions: Bradu
It happens. I bought a brand new 6dasher barrel, made by PVA, from one hide member. He did not open or try it. The barrel is also clearly marked as 6dasher. But later on, I was able to confirm the chamber is for 6x47 Lapua. :rolleyes:

Agreed................But, at least he's being Uber polite. The ones that piss me off are the ones that don't listen, then end up being shitheels/argumentative...........In spite of multiple, experienced people, all saying the same thing.

Well, I guess Adam B definitively ended this thread. Can't ask for a better answer then that.

Reactions: AIAW
Agreed................But, at least he's being Uber polite. The ones that piss me off are the ones that don't listen, then end up being shitheels/argumentative...........In spite of multiple, experienced people, all saying the same thing.

Very true. I rather help him on the path to solving his issue, then become his buddy afterwards!

Well, I guess Adam B definitively ended this thread. Can't ask for a better answer then that.

Pretty much. When the owner of the barrel speaks up you've pretty much got the best info you can get!

I literally called it on post #2, explained it on post #8. But see my point - if we knew that the OAL was the issue (which it is) due to it being short-throated for VLD's then it's over. We helped someone, and it was quick. Step by step deductive logic.

Reactions: midwestoffroad
That is correct.
So it isnt cut wrong, its just not cut how you thought it would have been.

A bit more info from the sellers side would have helped prevent the situation before it became a situation (to you) but its also not really his fault as you seem to not have inquired either. You bought what you did and now youre have what you have. Time to start loading or look for a different factory ammo thats appropriate for the chamber.

I had a prefit spun up for the 108 hornady's, and was getting the same thing you were, with the bolt not closing. I ended up shooting the factory federal 6mm ammo, and everything was fine.

So it isnt cut wrong, its just not cut how you thought it would have been.

A bit more info from the sellers side would have helped prevent the situation before it became a situation (to you) but its also not really his fault as you seem to not have inquired either. You bought what you did and now youre have what you have. Time to start loading or look for a different factory ammo thats appropriate for the chamber.

I have literally had dozens of rifles chambered with this reamer and never had an issue. Apparently the ogive of the hornady 105 and 108s is dramatically different and needs a different reamer.

Very true. I rather help him on the path to solving his issue, then become his buddy afterwards!

Pretty much. When the owner of the barrel speaks up you've pretty much got the best info you can get!

I literally called it on post #2, explained it on post #8. But see my point - if we knew that the OAL was the issue (which it is) due to it being short-throated for VLD's then it's over. We helped someone, and it was quick. Step by step deductive logic.

Yes I do appreciate it. And I read every post and think on it but i also work 70 hours a week and when I'm home, wifey already complaining I'm on the phone too much. I get my one day every other week at the range, which I make good use of. Trying to get any information I can before then helps so I'm not spending that day troubleshooting. Figured it out so thanks to everyone.

One reason why people may react the way they do. I mean hell, glass and all this rig has 7k in it and maybe another 3k worth of stuff specifically for this set up ( barrel, LRF, bags, mat, case ect) I bet you I've read 60 threads front to back about anything I could find related to what I'm using, watched every youtube video, ect. Not once did I see anything about checking freebore to your ammo unless it was a wildcat or more obscure chamber. One of those situations where you dont know what you dont know. Weve all been there. I can honestly say, it's really frustrating.

Reactions: spife7980 and AIAW
Yes I do appreciate it. And I read every post and think on it but i also work 70 hours a week and when I'm home, wifey already complaining I'm on the phone too much. I get my one day every other week at the range, which I make good use of. Trying to get any information I can before then helps so I'm not spending that day troubleshooting. Figured it out so thanks to everyone.

One reason why people may react the way they do. I mean hell, glass and all this rig has 7k in it and maybe another 3k worth of stuff specifically for this set up ( barrel, LRF, bags, mat, case ect) I bet you I've read 60 threads front to back about anything I could find related to what I'm using, watched every youtube video, ect. Not once did I see anything about checking freebore to your ammo unless it was a wildcat or more obscure chamber. One of those situations where you dont know what you dont know. Weve all been there. I can honestly say, it's really frustrating.
Yeah it’s all live and learn.It’s an easy fix if you have a local gunsmith he can just throat it longer for factory ammo or you can seat your factory ammo a touch shorter.

I have literally had dozens of rifles chambered with this reamer and never had an issue. Apparently the ogive of the hornady 105 and 108s is dramatically different and needs a different reamer.

The Sako trg I bought used came with a 6 creedmoor barrel and I found that out when I thought I would grab a box of ammo when I didn't have time to reload. I will see if I saved a cartridge that I chambered, I couldn't believe how far it set the bullet back.

I had a barrel chambered with that reamer too, I found it to be unreasonably short. If I were the OP I'd either send it back or have another smith pilot ream the throat. For whatever it is worth, factory loaded Hornady 108ELDM is about .090" too long.

No ones willing to ream it because its been melonited. So weve established hornady wont work. Will SMK? Or just federal berger?

Probably going to keep it at this point between shipping it back and what not. If I can make it work with factory loads itd be fine.

Federal Gold Medal 105 Hybrids. I had pretty stout lands marks on the Hornady 108's, and the bolt would have closed if I forced it ( I did not), but the Federal ammo chambered and shot fine. YMMV.

Was there a resolution to this thread? I just ordered a 6cm vector hand tight prefit, and I have the options of choosing freebore. If I'm planning on running factory ammo, most likely Hornady 108s or Prime 107s, should I just go with the SAAMI spec .183?

Resolution was i spent 5k+ on reloading equipment and supplies...lol I was looking for an excuse anyway. I think this should go for everyone but if you're not reloading get the saami

Reactions: littlepod
Was there a resolution to this thread? I just ordered a 6cm vector hand tight prefit, and I have the options of choosing freebore. If I'm planning on running factory ammo, most likely Hornady 108s or Prime 107s, should I just go with the SAAMI spec .183?

Yes, OP has a .275 neck diameter and .097 freebore. I would think anything over .150 freebore and .278 neck will work. Or just ask for SAAMI and move on.

Yes definitely the SAAMI .183 for factory and if loading the 108s. With that free bore the factory ammo is about .020” off the lands which is great for the ELDs.