• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix PLRF 25c - Any other options?

gehrm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2005
Hi, I'm saving up for my big purchase this year of a PLRF. I know that people have had mixed results with Vectronix's customer support and that they don't seem very civilian friendly. However, it also seems they have some of the best products in terms of accuracy, quality and durability. I also know that technology continues to advance and that I am not that plugged in. Has someone come out with a serious contender to the PLRF 25c? Wilcox Raptar or the new Steiner integrated binos? Thanks for the advice!

I've recently got a PLRF15C. Took some time to get all the paperwork for customer service, but they help if you have the time and willpower.

There is also another Rangefinder made by Jenoptik/Germany, no feedback on these, yet. Maybe I can check them out on the EnforceTac in Nuremberg in March should they have a booth.

Reactions: Emouse
Vectronix merged with optics 1 here in the states.
And talking to some people, seems only the PLRF25C and I-CUGR are going to stay in the Civ and LE market.
Think Mile High still has 1 PLRF25C in stock. Don't know any one in the states that have them. So your next option would be Twenty20 insight out of Canada.
And again talking to others, looks like the Raptar doesn't hold zero well and you have to fine tune the lasers pass 800y as well which can be a pain if you don't have a reflective target out that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sig Kilo 2400! http://appliedballisticsllc.com/products/devices/sig-sauer-kilo-2400-abs/
Not the equivalent of Vectronix, but unless you are routinely shooting at some really long ranges, it will serve as needed. You are also going to get the added feature of the Ballistic Calculator. You will get all of that for under $1,500.

Prior to the Sig coming out, I have been running a Leica Geovid HD-B https://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Leica-Hunting/Rangefinders/Leica-Geovid/Geovid-Range
These give you Binos, LRF, and Ballistic Calculator. I got a huge discount on them, and while I think that they are great, I am not sure that I could justify full retail price for them.

Sorry, but given the completely piss poor track record of Vectronix when it comes to the Civ market, they will never get a penny of mine!

The thing that keeps me holding onto my PLRF15 is the outstanding ranging in almost any conditions. I just came in a few minutes ago ranging horses and deer with the 2400 and the PLRF15 during a light snow. The 2400 was a lot better than the Leica CRF's I have used as well as the HDB2000/HDR2200 in snow/rain/fog but not even close to the PLRF15. I could get consistent readings with the 2400 on animals out to 500-600 yards, but it was hit and miss 600-800. The PLRF hit consistently animals out to 1500 through the snow using 3D. It did not seem to matter on the 2400 if I used "best" or "last" either.

Still, for me at least the Sig seems to be a fine option for all round usage at reasonable ranges. Small footprint, lightning quick scan mode and the solutions are within .1 mil or thereabouts with the kestrel 5700 (depending on how you set up the 5700)

Reactions: secondofangle2
Sig Kilo 2400! http://appliedballisticsllc.com/products/devices/sig-sauer-kilo-2400-abs/
Not the equivalent of Vectronix, but unless you are routinely shooting at some really long ranges, it will serve as needed. You are also going to get the added feature of the Ballistic Calculator. You will get all of that for under $1,500.

Prior to the Sig coming out, I have been running a Leica Geovid HD-B https://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Leica-Hunting/Rangefinders/Leica-Geovid/Geovid-Range
These give you Binos, LRF, and Ballistic Calculator. I got a huge discount on them, and while I think that they are great, I am not sure that I could justify full retail price for them.

Sorry, but given the completely piss poor track record of Vectronix when it comes to the Civ market, they will never get a penny of mine!

That should read "piss poor performance of the US Distributor for Vectronix" It does not reflect the excellent service the parent company gives.

Actually based on what I have seen, you can point the finger at pretty much anyone who has anything to do with Vectronix.

I know of at least one situation where a unit was sent back to the US after being repaired at the home office, and they failed to include the proper work, so it was held up in US Customs for months before the owner was finally able to get it released.

I would also have to argue that `waiting for months for the home office to actually repair a unit, would also constitute piss poor performance. Plenty examples of where units were out of the country for 3-6 months before they were repaired and returned to their owners.

Sorry, but you are either going to sell products to the civilian market, and fully support them, or you are not. It is completely unacceptable when a company is willing to take a customers money, and then leave them hanging when it comes to service, especially when that needed service is no fault of the customer.

Do a search, and you will have no problem finding horror stories from outright refusal to service, to ridiculous turn around times, to outrageous repair costs.

I don't have a high level of hate for a lot of companies, but after all of the crap they have pulled, Vectronix is currently topping the list for me!

I've played with a friends PLRF 15c and it was amazing. Ya, $5,500 amazing!! I think for us meer mortals. The sig2400 is the answer for us weekend warriors. I had the g7 and sold it. It was good at range finding not so good with solutions past 1000Yards. We'll see about the solutions produced with the Kestrel 5700 elite paired with this LRF?

IanHusaberg out

Hey guys. I, too am looking hard at purchasing a Vectronix PLRF 25C this year and my little cash stash jar is getting very close.... I'm hoping not to have to pay full retail if I can avoid it... But I haven't seen too many of them pop up for sale in the forums.... any suggestions??

Eurooptic is expecting a shipment of 25C BT within the next month and have one backordered since I wanted a unit that would interface with FFS. I have been using a Terrapin for a number of years now and it is a great LRF and not had any issues with it. Will probably sell it once the 25 arrives.

Actually based on what I have seen, you can point the finger at pretty much anyone who has anything to do with Vectronix.

I know of at least one situation where a unit was sent back to the US after being repaired at the home office, and they failed to include the proper work, so it was held up in US Customs for months before the owner was finally able to get it released.

I would also have to argue that `waiting for months for the home office to actually repair a unit, would also constitute piss poor performance. Plenty examples of where units were out of the country for 3-6 months before they were repaired and returned to their owners.

Sorry, but you are either going to sell products to the civilian market, and fully support them, or you are not. It is completely unacceptable when a company is willing to take a customers money, and then leave them hanging when it comes to service, especially when that needed service is no fault of the customer.

Do a search, and you will have no problem finding horror stories from outright refusal to service, to ridiculous turn around times, to outrageous repair costs.

I don't have a high level of hate for a lot of companies, but after all of the crap they have pulled, Vectronix is currently topping the list for me!

VECTRONIX Switzerland turnaround is approx 1 month. What takes time is the US end applying for State Dept permission to export an ITAR item for repair and again on the return leg for it to be cleared by customs for return to the customer.Repair costs are high as none of the components are off the shelf but specific to vectronix models.They have never branded to sell to a tiny civilian minority other than the Terrapin that just wasn't economically viable with the low sales volume. MIL end users are more than satisfied with quality and performance which is why its still the go to item for most of the free world.If you don't live in the US you simply don't have the same issues in dealing with them.

If Vectronixc is a Swiss company I don't know why the UK can't buy them and this ITAR BS suxs because the UK is America's closest Allie yet we get screwed.

John.

There are a few other Options that will reach out to 1760 yds and beyond, But apart from the distance that Vectronix can reach they offer very little in terms of usefulness, IE most other brands have ballistic apps built in, a Compass, Angle compensation, Near and Far Target Option, LOS or Compensated Distance, User Rifle Profiles, and more,, But paying all that money for a Point 'N' Squrt LRF just does not make sense to me when you consider what you get for the money from other companies, Not to mention Customer Service.

My Choice's would be ConX, G7-BR2 and the Newcon Optik and the Sig 2400, and if you still could not make up your mind you could buy at leased 3 of those listed for the cost of the Vectronix and in some cases about half a dozen and still have change.

1760 to 2500 yards+

Bushnell 1 Mile ARC
Bushnell 1 Mile ARC ConX
Gunwerks G7-BR2
Lieca 1600b
Newcon Optik 2200Si
Sig 2000 (3400 yds+ )
Sig 2200
Sig 2400.

Hope this helps.

John.

If Vectronixc is a Swiss company I don't know why the UK can't buy them and this ITAR BS suxs because the UK is America's closest Allie yet we get screwed.

John.

John,..you can buy them in the UK. ITAR is a US specific issue. Vectronix even have a UK point of contact. You can also buy via IEA in Germany of Finnaccuracy as an individual customer.

John,..you can buy them in the UK. ITAR is a US specific issue. Vectronix even have a UK point of contact. You can also buy via IEA in Germany of Finnaccuracy as an individual customer.

Thanks I did not know that, When ever I have done a search I came up empty, I found a second hand PLRF 15 but at the time they wanted about $4000.00 for it which at the time I thought was a bit heavy handed.

They want about 2400 Dollars for the G7 over here and I just paid about $685.00 for the ConX, I would love the Vectronix IV but they would just charge me way too much. I would be over the moon with any of the Vectronix Range even though they have limited features they are Classy Gear.

Thanks again,

John.

If you have more money than not newcon makes a new spotter that has a laser built in. 5km range. Up in the 25c price range.

Yep that looks a peach, But did you see that 7k price tag, Oouuch.

Last edited:
The PLRF-15 is all you or any tank commander will ever need to range to 4-5000k meters to drop artillery on a fixed position. Your letting, your ego write a check you clearly don't even a the capability to cash. Can you shoot past 4-5000 meters? What cartridge will you be using?

It may start a new phrase around here, "buy once, cry forever, because I can!"

Yeah. Spendy. I may get one though..

Lol, they have a 20k model too just in case you want to Guide in a missile strike, you won't suffer from Recoil but it will put a whole new meaning in to Ringing Steel, lol

John.

There are a few other Options that will reach out to 1760 yds and beyond, But apart from the distance that Vectronix can reach they offer very little in terms of usefulness, IE most other brands have ballistic apps built in, a Compass, Angle compensation, Near and Far Target Option, LOS or Compensated Distance, User Rifle Profiles, and more,, But paying all that money for a Point 'N' Squrt LRF just does not make sense to me when you consider what you get for the money from other companies, Not to mention Customer Service.

My Choice's would be ConX, G7-BR2 and the Newcon Optik and the Sig 2400, and if you still could not make up your mind you could buy at leased 3 of those listed for the cost of the Vectronix and in some cases about half a dozen and still have change.

1760 to 2500 yards+

Bushnell 1 Mile ARC
Bushnell 1 Mile ARC ConX
Gunwerks G7-BR2
Lieca 1600b
Newcon Optik 2200Si
Sig 2000 (3400 yds+ )
Sig 2200
Sig 2400.

Hope this helps.

John.

My PLRF15C gives angle, compass (adjusted for declination), and 3D (up to 3 objects ranged at once) and can calculate distance between 2 objects, as in, I could rangefind a target for another shooter who is hundreds of yards away.
It does not do ballistics, but it never misses.

My PLRF15C gives angle, compass (adjusted for declination), and 3D (up to 3 objects ranged at once) and can calculate distance between 2 objects, as in, I could rangefind a target for another shooter who is hundreds of yards away.
It does not do ballistics, but it never misses.

That's Clever, I like the Idea of the Compass, It would be good if they built in a compass in to all LRF's, That is so useful for when drawing Maps

My LRF has the Angle Comp in all the compensated modes or pre set modes but not in the LOS mode which I think is a big mistake because a lot of Shooter prefer to do their own maths, I have tested the angle comp range out using Apps at a few distances and with some calibres a 5 or 10 degree slope causes a drop of about 5 inches out to about 1000 yards So I think the Angle readout is one of the most important one a LRF should have.

Thanks for the Info.

John.

I had a Leica CRF1600B for a little while.
It provided angle, temperature, and pressure in a little package, which I liked quite a bit.
Unfortunately it didn't range as reliably as I liked.

Love my 25c. It is outstanding at ranging targets in small windows or tight locations. Mt Leica HD-B's always struggle in these situations.