• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix Terrrapin maximum range?

Beef Curtain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I got to test my Terrapin out today across a lake. I tried to hit a metal building on the other side and it ranged 4,895 yards. I read on their site it has a max range of 2,400 m. Which equates to roughly 2,625 y. Is it reading right? Anyone else hit targets with a Terrapin at that range?

I have exceeded the max range with the Terrapin, I think they are pretty consistent on fairly large targets beyond 3000m

It is really dependent on the conditions, the size of the target and the composition of the target, but if you exceed all of that you can pretty much assume it will return a reading.

Well over 3000+ yards for me. Of course these are big steel reflective buildings.

You got to like equipment that works WAAAY better than advertised!

I love my Terrapin!

Anything under a mile is GTG 99.99999999% of the time. I was ranging houses the other day out to 3100 yds with no problem. My all time best was ranging a tree and a aircraft hanger at 5300 yds. And I got it to read it several times. And to boot the sun was in the same direction as my target. The terrapin is a great item to add to your pack.

Guys, your achieved range is based on the following:

a) hitting the target of course... the beam divergence and your aim must make sure hit the intended target vs something else nearby or in front.
b) reflectivity of the target. Various materials absorb/reflect the IR energy differently.
c) size of the target will dictate how much total energy is sent back
d) most important, is how much sunlight is entering the lens of the rangefinder, because that energy can swamp out the weaker original laser beam emission/reflection.

So in twilight you can get those 4000 yard ranges. But in daylight where Vectronix drew up the specs for a max range under difficult daylight situations, I can see more like 1700-2000 yards max range.

I've tried cloudy days with my Terrapin and ranging improved a bit but not as much as I would have thought. It's impressive that the Terrapin can use one battery to create enough IR energy to go one mile, hit something partially absorbent, then detect the reflected energy, discriminate it from photons from sunlight, and provide an accurate range estimate.

I agree with a-d, but all my readings have been in bright daylight. I've never tried it on a cloudy day or at dusk. Take a look at the pics in my thread here

I was getting returns on cows from 1700+ yds. I'm sure I would have ranged a reflective target at much, much further. The Terrapin's performance on sunny days, ranging towards the sun is what is most impressive to me.

I've seen differences in results from winter to summer, cold and hot, and dusty conditions. There is a water tower 3550 yds. from my house which I can consistantly range in fall, winter, and spring, in the heat of summer it's a no go. 3780 yd. is the max I've gotten, but I haven't spent a lot of time trying long distances either. I've used it for several matches and I'm still amazed at how accurate it is. At 700 yds it will give the correct yardage on a 10" steel plate and then the backstop that is 3 yds. past it. Same with an IPSC sized steel target at 1000 yd. A 40"X28" steel target at 1 mile is also not a problem. For longer distances or very small targets I use a tripod which increases accuracy and returns.

Mine has been very consistant on several objects out here in Hooterville out to 3500+ (yards). I have only used it in cold weather as I just purchased it in the late fall of 2012.

I've gotten hits on a cell tower at 4500+, and I have yet to be able NOT to ping something I can see as long as I use a rest or a tripod.

Have to agree with Chiller.

Terrapin will range almost anything within reasonable range that you could possibly hit within effective range of any man-portable rifle.

Who thinks the inclinometer, compass, and Bluetooth capabilities of the higher end Vectronix units are worth the extra cost for XLR on steel?

I was an RO at last years SH Cup where we got to talking about range finders. I was complaining about RFs being only half as good as advertised.

A guy who had a Terrapin takes me outside the tent and points to some trees on a hill, tells me to range it with the Terrapin. I did, a bit over 3700 yards. As mentioned I believe it's advertised for 2400, don't know, but I do know I was ranging much further then that.

I don't shoot 3700 or even 2400, but I know the Terrapin will range further then I can shoot, and range much father then my Lupy range finder that's suppose to range 1200 but unless I'm lucky, I don't get past 600 constantly.

It seems to me that the open prairie is the worst place for range finders. Last Oct I was antelope hunting and spotted a nice buck. My range finder wouldn't register. I mil'ed it and estimated it was 600 yards. I adjusted my scope and fired. It ran about 25 yards and did a double summersault. Using my GPS I marked my shooting spot and marked where I hit the antelope. My GPS said 586 yards, my map confirmed it was just short of 600 yards.

I'm not that good with range estimation with a Mil Dot, but it sucks when I'm better with the Mil Dot then the Range finder.

Yes sir, the Terrapin is the way to go. I'm much rather pay 2 grand for something that works then 500 for something that doesn't.

I came from Swaro, a few Leica LRFs, and switched to Vectronix this season.
Though my experience with the Terrapin is limited what I have seen is outstanding and yes, much better than advertized.
To be honest I have yet to find the range limits of this unit on man sized or animals....Far is my answer...Too far!

I ranged my buddy at 1260 yds. In good conditions you might say the Swaro would do that..Until you throw some weather into the mix!
From my mountain top position I ranged my buddy setting up steel in the valley below at 1260yds. No big deal until you take into account the clouds/mist were partially obstructing my view to the target and it was pi$$ing down rain...This is amazing performance that I would pay twice the price to get!

For your reference I tried my Swaro on the same setup and I was unable to read it. I also couldn't read a rock ridge at only 600ish yds.
I assume heavy cloud/fog/mist will stop any LRF, but so far so good. Where I live it rains (well over 100 inches a year) and I have yet to get a failure to read.

So my question is if the Terrapin is this good when the chips are down...How good is the 25 and (god help you) the Vector?

That's the question. Does the inclinometer, compass, and Bluetooth capability of the 25C BT make it worth the extra cost?

the feedback on the terrapin (PLRF05) seems to actually be better than the PLRF10. Anyone with experience on both able to chime in on that? For just a little over 1/2 the price of the 10 it seems you are actually getting better performance with the one exception of being NV compatible.

How do these work at ranging smaller targets? Say a prairie dog at 600-700yds?

I dont care about those things and wouldn't pay much if anything for what they offer.
The difference would come in the more expensive units ability to read through crap weather

My ballistic program asks for inclination and direction of fire input. Litz's book shows how those factors, though not as large as wind, make a meaningful difference at distance. In view of that, how does one not care about inclinometer, compass, and Bluetooth capability? I suppose one has to "care" an extra $6,500. Ouch!

My ballistic program asks for inclination and direction of fire input. Litz's book shows how those factors, though not as large as wind, make a meaningful difference at distance. In view of that, how does one not care about inclinometer, compass, and Bluetooth capability? I suppose one has to "care" an extra $6,500. Ouch!

I may be mistaken but I think what he meant was that for the amount of extra money those features cost he would just far prefer to do those tasks manually

There are much cheaper ways to determine those variables and everybody that is already shooting at these distances already has the baseline equipment covered.

If you don't already have this equipment nor your rifles dope in use your assumption that this units inclinometer, compass, and bluetooth communication will somehow produce long rang hits is unrealistic. Not trying to be mean, but its also humerus :)

Given half way decent weather the Terrapin ranges far enough to unwind the turrets of the best scope and rifle combo....The only reason I can see to want to buy this thing is if it has increased capacity to range through some more pea soup weather and fog.

Protractor, string and a washer. I just saved you $6499.50....minus my consulting fee, of course ;) If I could afford the 25, I'd be all over it, though.

ADI's & Mounts - Sniper Tools Design Co - Home of the Angle Cosine Indicator

My watch has a compass, but you can buy one for cheap. Direction of fire really doesn't matter until you are shooting beyond 1,000 yards.

Reading these post makes one wonder how we ever hit anything without these fancy gadgets. I agree the Terrrapin is a great range finder, but do we really need all those other do dads?

Are we getting too dependent on technology we can't shoot with out it. Do we need a computer to tell us angles, or which way the wind's blowing?

Don't know, maybe I'm just too old.

Wow! Use a compass to determine direction of fire? Use an ASI or ACI to measure inclination? Manually input it? Wow! Why didn't I think of that? How do I even walk and breathe at the same time?

How did we hit anything before all these new tools? We missed more... at shorter ranges... when ammo was much cheaper. Sheesh!

I have a question for all the great minds here. I too have been looking at one of the many PLRF. Can anyone tell me which is the starting point for the unit that will connect by cable to my Recon unit with the Horis vision ATrag MX software? The terrapin 5, the PLRF10/10C, the PLRF15/15C, or the PLRF25 C.

How do these work at ranging smaller targets? Say a prairie dog at 600-700yds?

Wouldn't you be using a much higher magnification device to find dogs at those ranges? You would need to find a much larger object to range and use that as your reference. Don't see how you could hold steady enough to range something that small at 600 yards.

I'm a firm believer in Varmint Hunting as a training venue for long range shooting. When some one ask me what is the best training you can do for the sniper craft, I say Varmint Hunting.

This is right out of the USAMU's Sniper Guide:

Chapter 5 General Notes:

1. ….. The counter-sniper is a hunter and must use any and all tricks of the trade to assure a proper hit. The lives of fellow officers and that of the general public are at stake. Time is extremely critical, therefore, he can expect to be required to make shots at varying angles and distances on a split second’s notice. The hunting of varmints such as woodchucks, prairie dogs, and crows provides outstanding training because the techniques involved are almost identical.

Ok lets assume that's correct (and I believe it is) we'll move to the question;

Wouldn't you be using a much higher magnification device to find dogs at those ranges? You would need to find a much larger object to range and use that as your reference. Don't see how you could hold steady enough to range something that small at 600 yards

PD's live in PD towns, the towns are littered with little mounds of dirt around their holes, most dogs are killed on or near these mounds. The mounds are much larger then the dog itself.
As you lead to in your question, it seems to be easier to range a larger target then a small one. You don't really need to go to a higher magnification to range the dog if you can range the much larger mound.

You almost always can find something to range near enough your target. Sure you may be a few inches off, but you're gonna be pretty dern close. You can also use a map to range your PDs, you have hills, dips, ridges, etc etc that can be found on most good maps. If you know your location, its pretty easy to range the PD holes using nothing more then a map and some sort of protractor (such as comes on most compus).

A laser range finder is quicker, a Terrrapin, will lock on your PD mound, where at 600 yards most of the $500 models wont (or at least the ones I've tried).

Short of contacting the company is anyone here using their Vectronix with a PDA like the Recon in the SORD system for instant firing solutions? I just need to know what is the Minimum level Vectronix modle that will communicate via cable to my Recon.

Well I did not get my answer here, so I contacted Aj at vectronix. The PLRF-10/10C, 15/15C are the starting points. I wanted one that could read at least 3K for my .338 LM. I broke down and picked up the PLRF-15. It is only rated to 3000 meters. The dat after I got it in the mail I took it to work. I was to busy to get it out so I used it when I dropped off my car pool guy. Now I'm in the high desert, a little cloudy but not bad. I spotted a house up on a bluff so I gave it a shot, hand held no tripod. I got a reading of 4863 meters. I shot that same spot at least 6 times, every shot came back the same. Now I'm no math wiz but after breaking it down I came up with 3 miles and some 120+ feet.
These are well under rated.

I run the PLRF's and Vectors with the data cable connection to FFS on a Nomad. It's nice to get an instant solution, plus you get the coordinates of the target and the 15 or Vector IV's are not visible to NVG's. This is probably only truly meaningful to a military operator, so I'd expect that most everyone would be perfectly happy with the Terrapin.

Well I did not get my answer here, so I contacted Aj at vectronix. The PLRF-10/10C, 15/15C are the starting points. I wanted one that could read at least 3K for my .338 LM. I broke down and picked up the PLRF-15. It is only rated to 3000 meters. The dat after I got it in the mail I took it to work. I was to busy to get it out so I used it when I dropped off my car pool guy. Now I'm in the high desert, a little cloudy but not bad. I spotted a house up on a bluff so I gave it a shot, hand held no tripod. I got a reading of 4863 meters. I shot that same spot at least 6 times, every shot came back the same. Now I'm no math wiz but after breaking it down I came up with 3 miles and some 120+ feet.
These are well under rated.

G'day Sir I sure would like to hear how you are getting on with your new Toy and what you think of it,

Blessin's John

I think the conservative numbers are them using worst case scenarios - low reflectivity target, poor environmental conditions. Ironically, I think everyone else post numbers based on best case scenarios. And they're not worried about the Terrapin outdoing the PLRF-10 as it has slightly less optical magnification, is a bit less rugged and lacks any external interface.

Broad daylight, Summer sun at 12:30 I could only range reflective targets to 3200 yards and trees to 2200-2400. Maybe mine is broken :)

With my Leica 1600 B I could get 900 on trees and reflective targets to 1K. Bushnell Fusion 1600 arc's to 1100-1200 on trees and maybe 1400 on reflective targets. Have not taken it out in the rain but I have had plenty of opportunities ranging at dusk and high noon.

Dang I must get one of these, Today I phoned the dealer and they are £1995= $3100.00 , so I wont be rushing out yet for one

John

Steam stack in the back, steadied on the side window.
2pzcftk.jpg

Last edited:
Where is the sighting retical, or does it turn that off when it gives you the range

John

I hit 4279yds on a building just resting mine on a ledge, keep in mind the gun and ammo you need to reach out to 2000-2500yds, not to mention your own raw ability. I don't know if you need a range on a target much past that for tactical rifle purposes. Unless you are calling in an air strike what's the point of ranges past say 2500yds?

I hit 4279yds on a building just resting mine on a ledge, keep in mind the gun and ammo you need to reach out to 2000-2500yds, not to mention your own raw ability. I don't know if you need a range on a target much past that for tactical rifle purposes. Unless you are calling in an air strike what's the point of ranges past say 2500yds?

Well I think its a great help if you want to know how far you have to travel to a new location or when you have just found a few Elk over the next Valley, Yes/No???

John