• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Veterans - Say Their Name Today

Edward Vincent Smith aboard the USS Helena

Second ship hit at Peral Harbor

Attachments

• 20210531_102848.jpg
    20210531_102848.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 32
Ira L. ”Sonny” Warren

My deceased Uncle , who was a Navy Corpsman aka Pharmacist Mate 1st Class.
Attached with the Marines in the Pacific 42-44 ....Not sure what the ribbons are or for what ?
The shrapnel was removed from the first casualty he treated. He kept Navy things in a cigar box. The knife never was far off , I’ll treasure it all.

Attachments

• 4F279166-A9A6-4AED-B772-4FB9AB688FAF.jpeg
    4F279166-A9A6-4AED-B772-4FB9AB688FAF.jpeg
    789.7 KB · Views: 50
Carl L. Radke, KIA Vietnam, 3-2-1969
Alfonso R. Castro, KIA Vietnam, 11-4-1969
IMG_0348.JPG

These are friends I went with through 6 mo of officer candidate school, and 8 mo. of helicopter flight training, graduating March 26, 1968.
On this day, I post to keep their memory alive. Carl on the left, Alfonso center and me right. Photo take in July 1967.
On the date of this photo, we were all "butter bars". Carl was a 1LT later, and Al was a Captain at his passing.

Last edited:
"C J Justice"

He's on the left...I'm on the right...this was in 79
I told him I wasn't going to share my popcorn because I knew where his hands had been...there was a penthouse that found its way in my bathroom lol

Miss ya buddy...wish we could have grown old together...Semper Fi dog.

20190110_110339.jpg

Ira L. ”Sonny” Warren

My deceased Uncle , who was a Navy Corpsman aka Pharmacist Mate 1st Class.
Attached with the Marines in the Pacific 42-44 ....Not sure what the ribbons are or for what ?
The shrapnel was removed from the first casualty he treated. He kept Navy things in a cigar box. The knife never was far off , I’ll treasure it all.

They are upside down, but from left to right you have the American Campaign Medal ( for serving stateside in the military during WWII), the Asian Pacific Campaign Medal with 5 campaign stars meaning he participated in five major combat operations, Philippine Liberation Ribbon with two battle stars and the National Defense Medal for serving in the Armed Forces during specific periods, usually wars.

Your Uncle had a MKII Navy combat knife, similar to a K-bar for Marines and used for much the same things, opening lunch or stabbing people, they are very handy. If you turn the ribbons over so that the single ribbon is sitting on top of the row of three they are positioned correctly.

It might be worth writhing the VA to see if you can get his records if the family does not have them. He might be missing a Good Conduct medal and a Navy Expeditionary Medal and a WWII Victory Medal. If he actually got five campaigns and no free bullet holes, that was rare in itself.

I have my Dad's WWII medals in a frame he made, he kept them and had the box from his Bronze Star in a drawer, we found it after he died.

So sorry I didn't get here yesterday:

Cpt. Iven C. Kinchloe (Korea. Awarded the Silver Star). Were able to meet with his wife Dorothy in California. Both he and his wife were fascinating people. Her home was like a museum to the early pioneers of space travel. She spoke with us for hours and was a gracious lady waiting to join her husband Iven in Arlington National.

Spc. Christopher Karzenberger. He was part of a platoon sponsoring with gifts and emails. Broke our hearts to hear of this young man's death in the sand box:

http://www.emtt.org/katzpics.htm

Last edited:
They are upside down, but from left to right you have the American Campaign Medal ( for serving stateside in the military during WWII), the Asian Pacific Campaign Medal with 5 campaign stars meaning he participated in five major combat operations, Philippine Liberation Ribbon with two battle stars and the National Defense Medal for serving in the Armed Forces during specific periods, usually wars.

Your Uncle had a MKII Navy combat knife, similar to a K-bar for Marines and used for much the same things, opening lunch or stabbing people, they are very handy. If you turn the ribbons over so that the single ribbon is sitting on top of the row of three they are positioned correctly.

It might be worth writhing the VA to see if you can get his records if the family does not have them. He might be missing a Good Conduct medal and a Navy Expeditionary Medal and a WWII Victory Medal. If he actually got five campaigns and no free bullet holes, that was rare in itself.

I have my Dad's WWII medals in a frame he made, he kept them and had the box from his Bronze Star in a drawer, we found it after he died.
Thanks much for the information , I will go through his Naval papers and see if I can find his DD-214 or similar Papers. I was his legal guardian until he passed away. I had to handle his funeral arrangements so I’ll research further.

Think I will contact the VA , or may seek assistance from Senator Tom Cottons office ? We are all from the same home town , and they were friends.
Sonny was in the Shit for sure , kinda doubt he got a Good Conduct medal 🤔...he was a Hell Raiser until the end. I think I know where his WWll Victory Medal is , but not the accompanying ribbon. His National Defense Medal favors mine , we called it the Gedunk Medal. I wasn’t sure of the order of precedence at all.

He talked to me about island hopping with the Marines around the Philippines, he held them in high esteem also until the end... He also said he was VERY lucky to not get wounded himself , said he never wanted a Purple Heart !
He had some pictures of Japanese soldiers that had been decapitated by some Filipinos , their heads were posed on their knees with their hands holding them there. I took them to a “show and tell” in Elementary school. Teachers freaked out !!

Another chapter of his Navy life before he got out , him and other Corpsmen were sent to secure islands to take care of the survivors of the USS Indianapolis in August of 1945.
Once again , thanks for taking the time and the info 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: oneshot86
Thanks much for the information , I will go through his Naval papers and see if I can find his DD-214 or similar Papers. I was his legal guardian until he passed away. I had to handle his funeral arrangements so I’ll research further.

Think I will contact the VA , or may seek assistance from Senator Tom Cottons office ? We are all from the same home town , and they were friends.
Sonny was in the Shit for sure , kinda doubt he got a Good Conduct medal 🤔...he was a Hell Raiser until the end. I think I know where his WWll Victory Medal is , but not the accompanying ribbon. His National Defense Medal favors mine , we called it the Gedunk Medal. I wasn’t sure of the order of precedence at all.

He talked to me about island hopping with the Marines around the Philippines, he held them in high esteem also until the end... He also said he was VERY lucky to not get wounded himself , said he never wanted a Purple Heart !
He had some pictures of Japanese soldiers that had been decapitated by some Filipinos , their heads were posed on their knees with their hands holding them there. I took them to a “show and tell” in Elementary school. Teachers freaked out !!

Another chapter of his Navy life before he got out , him and other Corpsmen were sent to secure islands to take care of the survivors of the USS Indianapolis in August of 1945.
Once again , thanks for taking the time and the info 👍

The link should help you.

Reactions: Sandhog308
SSG Steven Bayow 2005
PFC Wyatt Eisenhauer 2005
Staff Sgt Richard Pummill 2005
SSG Eric Caban 2006
SGT Jeff Sherer 2011
PFC Tyler Lubelt 2016
Sherer 2011 was in RC-South, Qalat Afghanistan with 1-24 IN. I became the BN S3 shortly after that when I meet the unit in Afghanistan. We had a few more tragedies following that.