• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vibrating Compressed Powder Loads

Harronek

Never stop learning
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2021
Australia
I’m after advice on how to settle the powder in my cases to avoid/reduce the “ Crunch “ of a compressed load .

I’ve heard mention of electric toothbrushes etc to vibrate the cases with etc .
What I’m chasing is real world advice on the best methods and tools to achieve the desired result .
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS- I’m aware of the potential dangers of messing with compressed loads etc , over pressure isn’t an issue in this situation.

In my experience slightly compressed loads are no issue, when you start heavily compressing loads
you start to have seating depth variation issues. Best practice is to use a powder that fills the case and
does not need to be compressed.

4 inch drop tube. Tap the side of the case or use a vibratory toothbrush.

But honestly I'd find a powder that doesn't require you to compress it to achieve your velocity.

Fill cases with powder in loading tray. Take second loading tray and place it on top of the cases to prevent powder from spilling out, hold tray on top of vibratory tumbler (to prevent it from tipping over) or place next to vibratory tumbler and turn on.

Thanks for the replies.
Up until now I’ve not needed a long drop tube funnel for my reloading, but I have a very accurate load that I’ve developed for one of my rifles that is slightly compressed.
I was just thinking that vibration might be a simple way to sort out that problem without having to buy another piece of equipment ( I realise that a Forster drop tube isn’t exactly expensive) but I thought maybe something I already have around the house might be able to be repurposed.

So after I’ve said all of that .

I’ve just ordered a Forster drop tube online 😀

I’ve found no powder charged to fully compressed, requiring vibration, to be as good as another powder loaded to near compressed.

Thanks for the replies.
Up until now I’ve not needed a long drop tube funnel for my reloading, but I have a very accurate load that I’ve developed for one of my rifles that is slightly compressed.
I was just thinking that vibration might be a simple way to sort out that problem

What problem? A slightly compressed load is a good thing, and not a problem.

You’ve got people here thinking you have an actual problem with a severely compressed load, but it sounds like it’s just a misunderstanding on your part. I don’t know why so many new reloaders think compressed loads are a problem, or where they get that idea; it’s a myth that needs to die off.

Reactions: BCP