• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VihtaVuori N555 Now in stock, Lets get some data!

357Max

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 11, 2019
    Marylandistan
    I've been keeping an eye out for availability on this N555.

Now that it's finally hit the shelf I figured we might as well start a thread to get some reloading data compiled for this new powder.
    I will be loading 6.5 Creedmore & 25 Creedmore with it.

It's in stock at Natchez, how fitting for Cinco de Mayo, 5 pounds on the way. Why 5, cause Maryland determined it's semi free citizens can be trusted with 5lbs of powder, but no more:mad:

This may not last long.

1588720401671.png

Reactions: Zed
    Yep it's $$$ same as N565, N570 for the magnums.
    I've seen the Vihtavouri selling for a few dollers cheaper per lb, but then they tack on the Hazmat.
    At least Natchez was only $15.24 total shipping, including other items. No big hazmat fee tacked on.

If it’s as good as the rest of the Vit powder it should be VERY GOOD! Looking forward to getting some and trying it out.

Looking at their online data I noticed that when you move up from the 140 Hybrid to the 142SMK it calls for a 1.4gr powder charge reduction. WTF? I’ll pass.

Reactions: FB67 and LG65CM
    Vihtavuori reloading pages aint much reloading data on this powder.
    Just got 1kg of this powder, but i think i return it back and keep on N150 and N160 powders.
    I shoot Lapua Scenar 123gr and 139gr pills, and there is no reloading data for those bullets.
    Rifles that i use those bullets are 260rem and 6.5creedmoor.

I tested n555 in my 6.5 cm today with Berger 140s, Lapua sp brass and 205m primers - 41.4-43.4 gr. Temps were mid 80s w 60% humidity.

Velocity seems to be very close to re16 in my barrel. I had a few sd=0's pop up on the chrono today (5x groups). Accuracy was VERY good at 100. 43.4 gave me 2852 fps where the same charge of re 16 is 2864.

I'm not 100% convinced that this powder is worth the premium, but it does seem to be very good.

@aone
    Thank you for that info. I'll be trying it with the same components except Berger 144's in place of the 140's. It'll be a few weeks before I get to it cause I Just bought 2 cases of factory Berger 6.5 140 ammo that needs to be shot first. Brownells is blowing it out on clearance. Loaded in Lapua sp brass. Supposedly the Berger ammo is loaded with Vihtavuori, but probably N550. I don't think I could buy the components for what there selling this loaded ammo for.

Actually I'd speculate that is why the 6.5 140 Berger ammo is on clearance. Interesting that Brownells show's under new products (not yet in stock) Berger 6.5 140. I bet they changed the powder to N555.

I'm also thinking this powder would have potential in 224 Valkyrie

Reactions: ljmontano
    @aone

I might try it with the smk 90 in my 224v. It's likely you'll run out of case capacity well before pressure though. I did test H4350 in my 224v. It shot really well, but I didn't see the velocity I was after.

@aone
    Thank you for that info. I'll be trying it with the same components except Berger 144's in place of the 140's. It'll be a few weeks before I get to it cause I Just bought 2 cases of factory Berger 6.5 140 ammo that needs to be shot first. Brownells is blowing it out on clearance. Loaded in Lapua sp brass. Supposedly the Berger ammo is loaded with Vihtavuori, but probably N550. I don't think I could buy the components for what there selling this loaded ammo for.

Actually I'd speculate that is why the 6.5 140 Berger ammo is on clearance. Interesting that Brownells show's under new products (not yet in stock) Berger 6.5 140. I bet they changed the powder to N555.

Wow! Thanx for the headsup on the Berger TH 140s being on sale at Brownells. Just ordered some. Most places have been out of stock on it for months. Usually buy it from Target Sports. 200 rds at a time. Brownell's price was 2 bucks a box cheaper! Whoopie !! lg

Wow! Thanx for the headsup on the Berger TH 140s being on sale at Brownells. Just ordered some. Most places have been out of stock on it for months. Usually buy it from Target Sports. 200 rds at a time. Brownell's price was 2 bucks a box cheaper! Whoopie !! lg

can you post the link I can’t find them on the site

can you post the link I can’t find them on the site

It looks like they are sold out -

• Sad
    Reactions: LG65CM
    Bummer I got some from eurooptic a few weeks ago for 27 a box. I was going to get new lapua cases and the 140’s and it was the exact same price as the 100 cases and 140’s as 5 boxes, not to mention powder primers and the time to load them. It was definitely a no brainer

Reactions: LG65CM
    I have 5lbs sitting here, but haven't loaded anything yet. I'm still a few week from getting any data on this. My .224 Valkyrie will be done this week & will probably be the first thing I try it with using Berger 85.5's.

*Bump*

Hey guys,
    anything new on this powder?

I´m also interested in data, thinking about giving this powder a shot (or two).

I just got 2 Kg of it (here in Switzerland) yesterday (don't ask about the price). VV is a very good alternative here in Europe, since Hodgdon/ADI powders are very hard to get (the EU have banned DNT which is in those powders and so nobody imports it). I intend to use either N555 or N560 for the 6.5x55, but I'll use it on a CM if that doesn't work out with the Swede.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
    I just got 2 Kg of it (here in Switzerland) yesterday (don't ask about the price). VV is a very good alternative here in Europe, since Hodgdon/ADI powders are very hard to get (the EU have banned DNT which is in those powders and so nobody imports it). I intend to use either N555 or N560 for the 6.5x55, but I'll use it on a CM if that doesn't work out with the Swede.
    Hi.
    I'm in the UK and am thinking of using N555 in my Mauser M12 6.5x55. Currently using RL16 but that's difficult to get regularly, so looking for a powder that's more easily found. I look forward to your findings and good luck.

Reactions: daylate
    So for giggles I tried the Berger 140 grain ammunition back when it was first released. It just so happened to be the worst shooting ammunition fired from the most accurate rifle I've owned to date. After watching the "chasing the lands" videos I suspect it was a seating depth issue more than anything because it was an all star list of components. I'd like to hear how it works for others and also N555

I think N560 is close to H4831sc, where N555 is closer to H4350 burn rate.
    I e-mailed Vihtavouri to clarify the burn rate/position in powder tables. The answer was:

thank you for your message and shown interest in our products and services. Below is the right order, i.e. N555 is slightly faster than N160.
    In the reloading data found on our internet site, there are some tables where the data is currently in the wrong order when it comes to
    the vivacity of the powder. This will be corrected when we make the next data update, which is scheduled for end of September. Sorry
    for this mistake.

Kind Regards,
    Olof Borgström
    Sales & Marketing Manager, SC-Propellants

So in order of burn rate, fast -slow:
    N150, N550, N555, N160.

Reactions: LG65CM and ifgator
    I've been keeping an eye out for availability on this N555.

Now that it's finally hit the shelf I figured we might as well start a thread to get some reloading data compiled for this new powder.
    I will be loading 6.5 Creedmore & 25 Creedmore with it.

It's in stock at Natchez, how fitting for Cinco de Mayo, 5 pounds on the way. Why 5, cause Maryland determined it's semi free citizens can be trusted with 5lbs of powder, but no more:mad:

This may not last long.

View attachment 7317872
    OK, I'll be first over the top, seeing as I have just sold a kidney to buy 1kg of N555 for £90!!!! and don't even start me on what I paid for the 140gr SST heads/bullets and BR2 primers!
    I no longer target shoot. I manage deer -Fallow, Roe and Muntjac - and foxes on local estates. So, small targets out to 300-350m. I'm not out to shoot the plums off a rabbit at a mile (though the chance to try would be nice). Anyway......
    I read the Vit' data for 6.5x55 SE/Skan (41.1gr min - 46.1gr max)and loaded 8 rounds for a ladder test:

Sako fire formed cases, batch weighed, TTL, neck sized, primer pockets uniformed.
    CCI BR2 primers.
    N555 42 to 45.5grains in .5 grain increments (did I say this stuff was expensive?).
    The max seating depth to lands is 2.505" measured from the ogive. I sat the bullet to 2.460 which gave me a calibre in the case neck.
    Lightly crimped using the Lee collet crimp die.

Rifle is a Mauser M12 Impact chambered for 6.5x55. 20" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. An ASE Utra Jet Z Compact sound moderator fitted.
    I shot off a bench resting on bags. Weather was Sunny, Nil wind, temp' 22C. BP 1013. Range was 100m.
    Shot a 120 B/Tip load at target 6 to check POI.
    Then shot the string 1-8 waiting 10 minutes between shots, except shot 4. This was delayed by me watching deer feeeding, so the barrel could have cooled more? Shot 7 declared by me as pulled. The final shot was another 120 B/Tip onto target 6 to check POI.
    Total shots 10. Rifle is guaranteed to shoot sub MOA straight out of the box. The targets below show that all 10 shots were sub MOA!

Conclusion:
    No obvious velocity node.
    No signs of excess pressure.
    Perceived recoil was very slightly more than the 120 B/Tips but perfectly acceptable wearing just a T shirt.
    The 45.5gr load fill was about quarter way up the case shoulder.
    Shots 5 - 8 offer sufficient velocity (I laser the range and dial in the scope) to do what I want.
    The obturation was not as clean as the RL16 used with the 120 B/Tips. But it did not go past the base of the shoulders and improved by shot 7.
    The barrel fouling was maybe slightly less than RL16 with no copper fouling.
    Need to do a .3 grain ladder from 44.0 - 46.0 grains at 200m (maximum range on our improvised rifle range).

Not very scientific I agree, but it shows promise. I hope it helps

Attachments

• SST 1490gr Ladder.jpg
      SST 1490gr Ladder.jpg
      372.6 KB · Views: 468
    I have not seen any data yet on 6mm ARC or 6.5mm Grendel.

I am curious but it may be hard to find.

With Varget nonexistent, has anyone tried this in the 6GT cartridge yet with the 109 to 115 bullets?

I don't think it will work as a replacement for Varget. In my testing it seems to have less energy than RL 16. To get the same velocities, I'm using about 1.2 grain more with 555 as RL16. I tried it in a 6.5x47 and the most I could get in was about 40grs and that only got me to 2589 with a 147 eld. My varget load doesn't use as much and gets me in the upper 2600s.

I'm working up a load simultaneously with VV 555 and RL 16 in my 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun. Same case, primer, bullet, and load length just the different powder. I checked my notes 1.2 grains is the difference to get to very close to the same velocity with vv555 taking 1.2 grains more than the RL 16. I've been drilling in on a velocity node for my gas gun which should give decent/safe performance rain/shine/hot/cold. Saturday I hope to get out and run another round of chrono tests and test for groups.

Reactions: 357Max
    Any more work been done guys? Thinking of going over from N550 to N555 for 243, 90 grain gamechangers. It seems from Vihtavouri's bulk density numbers that, although N555 is more 'energetic', it will give a slightly higher case fill? I don't mind too much as N550 is giving me a rather light case fill!

I tested a couple loads for group sizes. Neither rifle shot as well as I would have liked. This testing was strictly group testing/tweaking no velocities. last range trip a 6.5 creedmoor 147 eld/vv555 load had done .8" for 9 shots (round robin one shot per bull and then use On Target to aggregate) at 2641 with a very low SD. This trip the same load was just over an inch for 7 shots using the same method. The best load for the test shot .95" for 7 shots. There was a lot of breaking position and shifting around because I was shooting multiple rifles and multiple loads. The test concluded because the extractor retaining pin broke and I was getting failures to extract, or partial extraction and then the case would get mangled and need cleared. Those rounds were not included in the group aggregates.

I also shot some 130 Swift SII loads testing seating depth in a bolt gun. The powder charge had given a great standard deviation, but those groups ranged from 2.5" to 1.5" for 6 shots. I still have some more work to do for that load before hunting season.

All in all, I don't know that it will get the reputation that 4350 has. However, neither of these rifles have proved to be the easiest to develop loads for previously either. The jury is still out for me.

I just started playing with this powder and it shows promise. I never used H4350 and can't compare to it, however I have used lots and lots of RL-16 to good effect. I've been trying to find a velocity node with Berger Hybrid 140's/Peterson LRP brass, and so far have only found one between 42.6 and 42.8. I loaded up 50 at 42.7 and will validate next weekend. I am not sure how temperature stable this powder is. RL-16 was pretty bad in the summer at 100+ degree temperatures, giving ungodly velocities and blowing primers in a known good load before, as well as being a carbon-cake maker in my barrel. (I may have had carbon ring as well, to compound the issue, that has since been removed and is being managed)

However, N-555 wants to shoot well. It's much cleaner than RL-16.

Resulting target with differing charge weights which I needed to fill in my Satterlee test entries missing from a previous session which failed to trigger the Labradar. (which is why some charge weights are skipped on target)
    I shot 5 shot groups in round-robin fashion (1 shot at each charge weight sequentially with a 10 minute wait in between every 4-shot string. (I will update with velocities when I get home to my notes) I believe the 42.0 charge yielded avg. velocity of 2820 and SD of 6.0 but I'll update that later.

Rifle: KRG SOTIC
    Barrel: Chanlynn left-twist 26" 1:8 I think (Cleaned down to bare steel prior to groups) 1250 down the pipe
    Brass: Peterson 1x fired LRP
    Primer: Fed 210M
    Bullet: Berger 140gr Hybrid Target

Temp: 81 F
    RH: 75%
    29.99 In/Hg

IMG_1294.JPG

For what it's worth, I think the Hodgdon website has H4350 in stock that you can order direct now.

Thanks. I was able to find a bunch from Powder Valley a few days after I made that post. I'm good for a few months, but may have to get somemore.

I have not seen any data yet on 6mm ARC or 6.5mm Grendel.

I am curious but it may be hard to find.
    I know this is a bit old but for what it’s worth I tried N550 and N555 today in a 6 arc bolt gun. N555 was way slow and full to the brim. The N550, on the other hand at 30.2gr was 2780ish from a 22” barrel seated at 2.300” - no room for more powder.

With Varget nonexistent, has anyone tried this in the 6GT cartridge yet with the 109 to 115 bullets?
    I did a ladder test and one group with it in a 25GT running the 131 grain Ace. Here is the data compared with H4350. Undeveloped it put down about a 1 inch 3 shot group at 200 yards. Maybe it’ll help. I ran out of case capacity at 38 grains and it was lightly compressed at 36.8. But with my bullet I am about .075 below the body shoulder junction with the boat tail.
    FE82A31A-E66C-4EED-87C0-F91ADA203B1F.jpeg

Reactions: TRAC and 357Max
    I did a ladder test and one group with it in a 25GT running the 131 grain Ace. Here is the data compared with H4350. Undeveloped it put down about a 1 inch 3 shot group at 200 yards. Maybe it’ll help. I ran out of case capacity at 38 grains and it was lightly compressed at 36.8. But with my bullet I am about .075 below the body shoulder junction with the boat tail.
    Thanks for the info. How did ES & SD compare with the 4350?
    Who chambered the 25GT for you? Been thinking about that round.
    I'll be trying the N555 in 25 Creedmoor as soon as I get the Tika barrel swapped.
    For my 25SST I'll be starting with N565

Thanks for the info. How did ES & SD compare with the 4350?
    Who chambered the 25GT for you? Been thinking about that round.
    I'll be trying the N555 in 25 Creedmoor as soon as I get the Tika barrel swapped.
    For my 25SST I'll be starting with N565
    I didn’t do any development with it as the H4350 met my needs and I have a lot of it. I shot one 3 round group with the N555 @ 38.0.
    2769 2673 2689 It grouped pretty well. To not derail three thread here. I started one for the 25GT

25GT

Here in the EU VV555 is the powder. Hodgdon is rarely available. I think VV did not prepare enough reloading data for it to publish on their website. Of course they provided data for most Bergers and Scenars.
    I am desperately looking for data re Hornady Eld 130gr and there is nothing so far.

Hrmm looks like this or 560 might not be a bad powder to try. How's the temp sensitivity with Vihtavuori powders I've not used them

Going to drop this here since I don't have any of my own data to contribute yet.
    I think He will be adding updates to this & a temp stability test from his comments.

Anyone have any load data to work from for the 260 rem using n555 and 143 Eld-x?

I have 5lbs sitting here, but haven't loaded anything yet. I'm still a few week from getting any data on this. My .224 Valkyrie will be done this week & will probably be the first thing I try it with using Berger 85.5's.

The 85.5gr Berger Hybrid shoots very well for me loaded 1.818” base to ojive (2.368” coal).

Attachments

• 030BDE24-8185-4459-A978-157373BAA36C.jpeg
      030BDE24-8185-4459-A978-157373BAA36C.jpeg
      390.1 KB · Views: 85
    • B46C2E91-AAFD-4B0D-BE68-86D996F00912.jpeg
      B46C2E91-AAFD-4B0D-BE68-86D996F00912.jpeg
      461.3 KB · Views: 192
    I have a pound of N555, but haven't shot it as of yet. In my 300 WM and my prototype 153 gr bullet, which favors the faster side of the 4350 burn range due to the thicker Gunwerks brass used, low friction, and a long tail, I started with N550 as I thought N555 would be a tad too slow when compared to prior RL16 and H4350 results and in speaking with VV directly. All my VV powders are newer lots from late summer of last year during the buying frenzy that occurred then.

I had high hopes for this combo. I simply shot a four shot workup at a temp of 64F, moving up one grain with each shot, extrapolating data from different resources as load data for the 300WM and a 150-155 gr class bullet isn't available for N550 (or N555). This first iteration was just to get a gage of where this powder was at with this combo. Velocity was acceptable, not earth shattering, but acceptable (top end was 3402 fps). I hit the upper end of what I'd consider my personal threshold on pressure in the load up sequence, and it is well below when pressure indicators exist (I have a pressure sensing system to gage actual pressure over time, see graphs below). I actually didn't expect to see pressures that high in the first four shot workup, but velocities were what I would have expected, so, in combination, that was a bit of a downer. Several problems existed as can be observed from the wild pressure traces in the graph. The most prominent is the secondary spike towards the end. While there are many things that can create this phenomenon, two things typically contribute to this, a double-based powder, and a powder too slow for the combination. In this instance, top end case fill was probably only 97% and it was a tad higher pressure than what I'd like to run for a hunting combination, so if anything, it was on the faster side for that combo. The double-based nature of the powder is probably not doing me any favors in this particular instance, but isn't necessarily the only reason as previously mentioned. The low friction plays a role for sure, but low friction is a good thing for increased velocity and reduced barrel fouling and heat in general. In summary, "large case - light bullet" in a moderate overbore like the 300 WM, I wouldn't recommend N550, or probably N555. With a small case and heavy bullet, like the 308 Win, or possibly even the 6.5 Creedmoor shooting heavy pills, probably a completely different story.

300WM - Gunwerks - N550 - 153gr - 64F
    300 WM - Gunwerks - 215M - N550 - 153 GR.png

Back to the N550 work up, the group on paper wasn't fantastic, and the muzzle exit times (crosshairs) from the graph correlate with that. Yes, these were all at incrementally higher charge weights, but the beginning of the ignition phase was inconsistent, which then really destroys the rest of the timing out the muzzle. The bullets were substantially crimped with a collet crimp die and far off the lands, so this area, the ignition phase itself, should be very consistent, in general, and up to about 7 ksi, they all ran together, which is about where the bullet started to release. I've also attached two work up loads, one for H4350 and the other IMR4350, as a comparison to show what I mean for a consistent profile.

300WM - Gunwerks - H4350 - 153gr - 89F
    300 WM - Gunwerks - 215M - H4350 - 153 GR.png

300WM - Gunwerks - IMR4350 - 153gr - 89F
    300 WM - Gunwerks - 215M - IMR4350 - 153 GR.png

Not to veer off the VV subject too far, but also attached is RL16, from two different days, both identical work up loads as well. I missed the first shot on the hot day, so it only has three showing. Don't correlate the colors between the two, but rather look at last charge weights and work upwards, graph to graph. Any of you ever wonder why when doing temp sensitivity studies on RL16, some have reported a decent jump from low temp to mid temp, then at high temp, the velocity goes LOWER again? So the total spread from low to high is very low, but it looks like a bell curve, not a regression line. Well, as far as combustion dynamics are concerned, I can at least show what's going on, even if I can't explain it. Strange indeed, and has made me move away from RL16 for this combo as well. Unfortunate too, as at 3450 FPS, it had real potential in 90F heat. It wasn't as consistent as IMR or H, but it was a bit more consistent than shown below when loaded to the same charge weights. It was around 3470 FPS at 64F with mediocre groups.

300WM - Gunwerks - RL16 - 153gr - 89F
    300 WM - Gunwerks - 215M - RL16 - 153 GR - 89F.png

300WM - Gunwerks - RL16 - 153gr - 64F
    300 WM - Gunwerks - 215M - RL16 - 153 GR - 64F.png

Last edited: