• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

vihtavuori powders ?

savagehunter44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
florida
anyone use vihtavuori powders in 308 ? im loading 165 & 168 grain.are thay ball or stick powder? and are that temp sensitive?

Re: vihtavuori powders ?

I use a lot of VV powders. In 308 under 168's specifically VV N-150. I haven't seen a lot of variability with temps, and I have shot a lot in temps way hotter than what my baseline was established at. Not so much way colder, but I can tell you that a deer doesn't know the difference in accuracy with it about 40 degrees colder than my baseline was established at.

I've used N135 and N540 with excellent results and both are stick powder.

N140 would be nice with 168 projectiles.

N150 was slightly slow burn than N140 which should be fine with 175 - 185 projectiles.

I use Vhit powders but mostly in handgun loads. They burn very cleanly. Another positive is that it seems you can still find Vhit powder online, probably because it costs more than others.

thats why i ask i can get any vihtavuori powders i want , its all thay have. plan on usein 168 grain max. maby 150. mostly 165-168 hunting and match bullets , so is n150 and n140 ball or stick powders or all of there rifle powders stick? prob not as stable as varget tho is it.

Savagehunter ... both are stick powders and you are correct, both are 'heat sensitive', and is why my go to powder is H4895. However, since these are one of the few that are readily available today, I may purchase as well.

Just to restate--I have not had any temp sensitivity issues, and N-150 is the ONLY VV powder that several manuals list for 168's

Rainier42--have you used N-150, or other powders that you actually experienced 'temp sensitivity' with? I absolutely have not had that experience and I use a lot of VV powders. I have chronographed my loads on days that were over 50 degrees hotter from my baseline and only had negligible differences, some speeds actually lower.

the 1 series powders are single base and by nature are temp stable. 5 series are a a mix of either single or double base. 3 series are double base and might have similar issues as Alliant powders.

I had very good results with N-140 and 168's. Somewhere in the 42.0 to 43.0 range brass and primer dependent. Work up loads with caution.

10 years ago we did some testing on Vit powder. We shot some at room temperature about 72 degrees, some that were on the dash of the truck and over 90 degrees, some from the refrigerator at 40 degrees and some from the freezer that was around 30 degrees. We left it on the dash an hour and inside the freezer and refrigerator for an hour also.

At that time what we found was that speed was very consistent across the temperature range but as temperature the deviation from fastest round to slowest round tightened by a large margin. So the lesson is keep your ammo in the freezer.

VV N140 has become my go to powder for maximum flexibility and simplifying logistics. Excellent lot to lot consistency, and smooth metering through my RB3 despite it being a stick powder.

Use in .308 for 150-185 grain bullets. (semi M1A, AR and bolt guns)
Other uses: .223 52-77 grains; 30-06, .303 Brit, 7.62x54R