• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage oxygen bottle

Average guy

Low IQ truth teller
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 25, 2018
    I spotted a vintage oxygen bottle in the rack today. US army air corp. put into service in 1945.
    33CA92D2-3871-454A-8331-EABE42EA5F9C.jpeg
    551C6621-9BD2-4250-BC29-2C0CADF0CD26.jpeg
    367915A6-A389-4AE4-96AB-D5EDB7FE0E06.jpeg

Neat. When I started my medical career we still used steel even though they were heavy and could rust internally if pressure was lost.

So I guess the connecting threads haven't changed since at least ww2?

Neat. When I started my medical career we still used steel even though they were heavy and could rust internally if pressure was lost.

So I guess the connecting threads haven't changed since at least ww2?
    As far as I know nothing has changed. It’s amazing how long high pressure cylinders last. I’ve seen initial hydro dates from the 30’s

As far as I know nothing has changed. It’s amazing how long high pressure cylinders last. I’ve seen initial hydro dates from the 30’s

I wonder how long aluminum and carbon fiber will last.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    Yeah i have a couple that old. They are cool. Not trading them in, just fill

Reactions: Average guy
    I’ve found some dated to the 30’s. Upon looking further I found a swastika bottle in there also. It has a 1941 hydro on it.

Reactions: Davo308
    I’ve found some dated to the 30’s. Upon looking further I found a swastika bottle in there also. It has a 1941 hydro on it.

So these were war materials brought stateside post war?

Reactions: The D
    Linde tank? Those are the most common from what I remember seeing.

I worked a industrial gas supplier. We would keep an eye out for older German tanks to modify the stampings on it when testing.

It is amazing how long these things have been in service.

There are not my photos.

View attachment 7643934
    View attachment 7643932
    Super yep, I'm glad I read the thread through some before replying.
    Great reply w great pictures.
    And, I don't remember for sure, but I think the first compressed air bottles were linde, german, WW2 hits, you have swazticas on bottles.
    When I welded for a living, I saw the closed in sawz alot. Alot alot, those bottles are the shit.

Yeah... because Greta says we don't recycle enough.

Build things to last and we don't have to have all the ghey recycling shit. We just keep using it forever.

Sirhr
    At Goodyear we dug a pit about 10 feet below the elevator shafts.
    Then used a Cat 375 with a LaBounty shear on it and we'd cut the CO2 tanks down in the pit.

I've seen one ton cylinders with in-service dates as old as 1916. 150 pounders from before WWII. We use a lot of N2 at my current job, probably 50% of the cylinders are Army Air Corps or pre-war era and still perfectly fine, change the valve occasionally.

On an odd side note; If you are looking for a cylinder to make a bell out of pre-WWII cylinders come out best. I used a 1930's USN CO2 fire bottle for a garden gong for my wife, it sounds amazing and holds a ring for over a minute. The walls are thicker back in the day and the cylinder was higher quality steel. It is easy to see why they last decades after you cut one open, older ones are up to twice as beefy as newer ones.