• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

!!VINTAGE RIFLE NEEDS HELP!! Model 1917

Millenial_Marksman

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2017
Howdy all, I picked up a Remington manufactured model 1917 that has seen some “sporterizing” over the years. New barrel and a Timney trigger are on this rig. I am having trouble sorting out the scope mount hole pattern and need your help!

The front screw spacing is .875” center to center which matches a Weaver #46 base. The rear screw holes are a mere .275” apart. All are tapped 6-48 which is a relief for me. From the rearmost front screw to the forward rear screw is 4.10”

Can anyone help ID a base for this? Thank you in advance. (Note: serial number on underside of receiver is intact)
EA734FE8-0A56-4B52-9960-FAA75A3E2B84.jpeg
0BA08606-6D1B-41F7-BEE9-E1A7E1AD3558.jpeg
34FD125B-58B5-4712-964C-603E12C8CF36.jpeg
DD9A238A-48A7-45E2-8474-6A89E24A5C2B.jpeg

That is most likely tapped for a one piece base. The screw spacing in the rear pretty much gives that away. I don't know which one. The odds dictate either Leupold or Redfield. Hope this helps.

I really have no information as to the possible scope base but will say this, your measurement technique sucks. C-C measurements are taken either by placing the caliper blades at the true center of both holes or measuring hole to hole at the edges. You can use matching edges (front or rear) or opposing edges, rear of rear and front of front and then subtract the hole diameter.
Be careful on the rear, those holes don't seem to be aligned with the center of the bore either.

@SubOptimal I understand the method issue, just wanted a quick approximation for my peers to work from.

Those mounts in the link aren’t very promising, so I have developed a new plan. After matching the radius to a pre-64 model 70, I am going to order a rail blank for a model 70 and custom fit it. Thankfully there isn’t a drastic height difference between the ring and bridge.

Anyone have other ideas?