• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Sniper Rifle Picture Thread

Made a couple of racks this weekend out of walnut and steel hooks to give these old gents a place to hang. Snipery? Well… maybe once!

IMG_5952.jpeg

Sirhr

@buffalowinter @USMCSGT0331 heres a build idea for yall.. the very first AR/5.56 DMR. Long before the Mk 12 SPR program - there was the Colt 655 and 656:

AKA the M16A1 Special High Profile and M16A1 Special Low Profile.
The 655/Special High Profile was a M16A1 with HBAR profile barrel and scope mount on the carry handle. The 656/Special Low Profile was as you see in the thread posted above.

Wonder if these saw any use in the 'Nam era with some of the more high speed units..??

@buffalowinter @USMCSGT0331 heres a build idea for yall.. the very first AR/5.56 DMR. Long before the Mk 12 SPR program - there was the Colt 655 and 656:

AKA the M16A1 Special High Profile and M16A1 Special Low Profile.
The 655/Special High Profile was a M16A1 with HBAR profile barrel and scope mount on the carry handle. The 656/Special Low Profile was as you see in the thread posted above.

Wonder if these saw any use in the 'Nam era with some of the more high speed units..??
First, never saw those anywhere in the Army when I was in '81-'85 Second, what we had for a DM, once in a while, was the standard block that dropped in the carry handle and bolted in through the hole that was in all M16A1 carry handles. You could either attach that shitty little POS (2X-4X) scope or a PVS-2 'whale' for DM/sniper work. For whatever reason Big Army at the time thought sniping seemed to be stupid. The test people had to be away from Big Army to get anything done.

Last edited:
I'm new here and haven't posted anything yet. I happened to see this thread and thought this is a good place to say hello and post up a photo of a few of my vintage snipers.
The top is a 1943 Izhevsk PU that I got from AIM Surplus back when they first started getting the MOLOT rifles, apparently they were imported through Germany?
Middle is a Swedish M41B from 1908 with a 1942 dated A-Jack scope. I have since upgraded the cheek riser with one from a maker in the UK.
Bottom is a Remington 1903-A4 that I bought from Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms many years ago. It had a sporter stock and no scope but it did have the correct base and bolt. I added an italian made stock from Brownell's and then a period correct Weaver. I eventually found a legit M73B1 for it.

Snipers 002.JPG

I am waiting for a receiver to build a M1D on, and I'll probably never recover from that. :)
Picked up a MC52 about a year sgo

I dumped most non sentimental rifles that aren’t accurate over the years

But this one is not leaving anytime soon

You’ll be more than happy

Here is mine M40 type rifle. Shooting 175gr Norma match very well. Did try it out to 600 yard steel target, first round hit, so good times ahead.

Attachments

• IMG_1512.jpeg
    IMG_1512.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1412.jpeg
    IMG_1412.jpeg
    524.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1410.jpeg
    IMG_1410.jpeg
    792.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1510.jpeg
    IMG_1510.jpeg
    704.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1423.jpeg
    IMG_1423.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 64
This is my clone M40A1, built by myself and a friend, Kreiger 1-11.25 SS barrel, Weaver T-10, scope mount and rings (original off M40A1) came from Ryan (USMCSGT0331). 1st target is 600yards, 2nd is 1K, both shot with 169 Sierra's, prone with sling.

View attachment 8367061View attachment 8367063View attachment 8367064
Great shooting and I'm glad that the Redfield base and rings work well with the T-10 scope! I think I found a box yesterday that has more of these USMC transitional M40A1 Redfield 700SA scope bases in them (no base windage screws, no scope rings). I'll have to see what I have available and if these are more of the take-off bases, and I'll probably give them away to people doing transitional A1 builds similar to your clone!

Your rifle looks great and it shoots exceptionally well, congrats on the awesome build!

Here is my latest.
The Rifle is a documented original. The receiver was built in late 1944 and converted to a "D" in late 1952. The sling, cheek rest, and scope mount are repros. I believe the flash hider is a repro as well, although a dealer said he thought it was an original. The scope is a commercial Lyman Alaskan, with sunshade and M82 style tapered post reticle and an original rubber eye cup. Eventually, I'd like to replace the scope mount and flash hider with originals (you don't know of any originals for sale, do you?) and possibly replace the scope with an M84. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
20240423_195125.jpg
20240423_195145.jpg

View attachment 8405998

Also found this photo today. 1957 Lyman reloading manual. America as it should be.
Look at all the 10X shooting coats.

They sell on EBay.

They will come to you smelling of 50 years of cigarettes direct from some passed grandpas closet.

You honor his history where his family wouldn’t by wearing it.

Mine has the rubber elbow cups and the leather sling cuff.

Absolutely no support for your spine but they will reduce the recoil kick and save your elbows and bicep.

Look at all the 10X shooting coats.

They sell on EBay.

They will come to you smelling of 50 years of cigarettes direct from some passed grandpas closet.

You honor his history where his family wouldn’t by wearing it.

Mine has the rubber elbow cups and the leather sling cuff.

Absolutely no support for your spine but they will reduce the recoil kick and save your elbows and bicep.
And you have a problem with this??

Sirhr