• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Viper barrel vise or bench vise with inserts??

Buy a Mechforce vise. They are less than $100. I C-clamp mine to a table when I need it. Throw the leather that comes with it away and just wrap the barrel with a sheet of paper. I’ve broken loose several Tikka and Sako TrG barrels off actions with no slippage whatsoever.

Viper here. I use leather on top and bottom. I have wood screw clamps to hold it to any bench.

SAC with inserts. Best one ive used to date. I use it almost daily. Twice already today !

Completely worth it.

Anybody try mounting their vice (viper in my case) to 2" tube steel? I'm moving things around and the place I have my vice isn't the best. I was hoping to use the hitch on my truck.

These work pretty good, especially for the $$$.

The groove in the inserts (inside/outside)can be cleaned up with a triangular machinist's file for better gripping power.

Regards,

TM6

Anybody try mounting their vice (viper in my case) to 2" tube steel? I'm moving things around and the place I have my vice isn't the best. I was hoping to use the hitch on my truck.
3AC52876-567D-4AFB-BFBC-7C0A39F9EA97.jpeg

Did the exact same. Worked out fine installing a prefit.

Beautiful, is that some sort of prefab mount? If not, why didn't you bolt it to the tube steel?

ETA: found it or something like it. Now to figure out if the website is legit hahaha.
I got the mount few years ago at Harbor Freight. It’s a vise mount for hitches.

Don't use the Great Scott vise for your Tikka, made a mess of mine today.

Attachments

• 20220302_172815.jpg
    20220302_172815.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 20220302_172803.jpg
    20220302_172803.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 20220302_172748.jpg
    20220302_172748.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220302_172754.jpg
    20220302_172754.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 141
I used my viper to pull barrel off of a mauser that was at least 50 years old with no slippage. The barrel was pretty snug I had tighter but not by much. Nothing between the barrel and the vise and no marks on the barrel.

Did you get it off?
I took my tikka barrel off with viper no problem. The key is an outside action wrench and sledge hammer a couple of whacks and it will break it loose. On the vise don’t be afraid to tighten it down tight on the barrel to prevent spinning I put my barrel in with a toilet paper roll then clamped it.

Reactions: Anzac and Islas82
I took my tikka barrel off with viper no problem. The key is an outside action wrench and sledge hammer a couple of whacks and it will break it loose. On the vise don’t be afraid to tighten it down tight on the barrel to prevent spinning I put my barrel in with a toilet paper roll then clamped it.
What's the biggest diameter barrel you can use with the viper? If I want to install heavy varmint barrels, will I be able to? I think most barrels are around 1.250 right at the action side...not sure though.

What's the biggest diameter barrel you can use with the viper? If I want to install heavy varmint barrels, will I be able to? I think most barrels are around 1.250 right at the action side...not sure though.
I’m not sure off the top of my head but I would think 1.250. I had medium
Palma contour.

The viper is curved but it really only contacts on four points so basically as long as the vice studs allow. I was able to put my 1.25 on just fine with a viper but it was towards the top. I am not able to put my sico omega in it satisfactorily.

Reactions: EddieE
Yes used a PMA Gen II barrel vise for several factory barrel removals now and it works well.
Are you using shouldered prefit or nut prefit? Which barrels are you going with?

I like the idea of shouldered but not sure anyone makes it for the tikka. Usually they are made for the custom actions with tighter tolerances.

Are you using shouldered prefit or nut prefit? Which barrels are you going with?

I like the idea of shouldered but not sure anyone makes it for the tikka. Usually they are made for the custom actions with tighter tolerances.
There's a Tikka T3 master thread here that's got a gold mine of info. Many shouldered prefits available for Tikka. Good luck pardner.