• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Viper PST BACK-BACK Ordered

Re: Viper PST BACK-BACK Ordered

Forgive me if I am out of line, but I would really appreciate it if Scott or Sam at Vortex would chime in here and give us the skinny of what all is currently happening right now! It would be very helpful to find out what the rest of us can honestly expect for delivery of our scopes!

This thread has reached 50 posts already and we have gone almost 2 full weeks now since the big hoopla over the initial PST release to the select few. The good the bad and the ugly came down in the reviews, now we're hearing scattered reports of back-orders of up to possibly 6 months in the worst case scenario, and we haven't heard a word about it direct from the horses mouth.

Sam and Scott both all along have done a great job of coming in and answering questions and giving us all updates which successfully kept the hype rolling for the pre-orders. Now out of only the handful that have came out, the few that had problems have been promised replacements but that is all we have heard from them directly.

I'd really like to hear what all is happening to figure out the source of the problems, how it's being resolved, and when the rest of us can expect ours to show up.

I don't mean any of this to come across negatively at all, I would just like to know, and I guarantee others would also. My guess is it might save them some canceled pre-orders also!

I agree I dont really care if it gets here the end of this month or 3 months from now, it is going on a new rifle and I still have my old 300rum still knocking them down BUT it would be nice to hear something from VORTEX so we all know they still care about this scope and the people who have spent money on them I would think they would care about the awesome customer service they have/had and want to keep that going

Don't worry guy's our customer service isn't going anywhere. We will always do our absolute best to treat everyone the way we like to be treated. It sometimes is hard to make it on here everyday,especially if I am out of the office, and Sam is so busy I dont know how he ever makes it on here, but we definitely try to make it here at least once a day.
We have been working very hard and doing everything possible to get the next shipment of PST's ready. Honestly we dont have an exact date, that will depend on how long it takes to get all of the scopes retrofitted with more resistant turrets and take care of a few other small things that we were not happy with. Is it at all possible that it could take 3 months? Yes,it is, but I don't think it will take that long. Are we doing everything in our power to get them out asap? Yes. Sam,Paul, and I will personally be heavily involved with the inspection process when these come in and we will do our best to bring you guys a product that everyone is happy with and is representative of the Vortex name. Rest assured that the PST's are our number one priority right now.

Best Regards
Scott

Scott, whats the deal with the Bushnell 3x12 mildot illuminated on your website, it has no price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mijopa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, whats the deal with the Bushnell 3x12 mildot illuminated on your website, it has no price. </div></div>

Pretty sure you meant to ask that question of Scott @ Liberty Optics. Scott @ Vortex isn't him, two different people. Scott @ LO goes by "LibertyOptics" on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't worry guy's our customer service isn't going anywhere. We will always do our absolute best to treat everyone the way we like to be treated. It sometimes is hard to make it on here everyday,especially if I am out of the office, and Sam is so busy I dont know how he ever makes it on here, but we definitely try to make it here at least once a day.
We have been working very hard and doing everything possible to get the next shipment of PST's ready. Honestly we dont have an exact date, that will depend on how long it takes to get all of the scopes retrofitted with more resistant turrets and take care of a few other small things that we were not happy with. Is it at all possible that it could take 3 months? Yes,it is, but I don't think it will take that long. Are we doing everything in our power to get them out asap? Yes. Sam,Paul, and I will personally be heavily involved with the inspection process when these come in and we will do our best to bring you guys a product that everyone is happy with and is representative of the Vortex name. Rest assured that the PST's are our number one priority right now.

Best Regards
Scott

</div></div>

Scott, thank you very much for the update, I appreciate you taking the time to respond! Still looking forward to when mine will be on its way!

I'm all for the delay if the end result is a better product which is what it sounds like they are working on. How quickly they responded to the few that went out! Good for them(Vortex).

Now only if Apple had the same business ethics . . .

Thanks,
Mike
San Angelo

Scott, I too would like to thank you for the update. I guess I'll keep running my Falcon Menace for a while longer till the PST come's in.

Unfortunately I have canceled my order with Scott @ LibertyOptics. Scott @ Liberty Optics has truly been great. Very informative with no bs answers. He has a new customer for life. I'll be back for one of those PST's at a later date.

(I'm only airing this information to let someone know if you've already paid Scott for a 2.5-10 Mil/Mil you probably now have my spot, which was at the top of the list.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't worry guy's our customer service isn't going anywhere. We will always do our absolute best to treat everyone the way we like to be treated. It sometimes is hard to make it on here everyday,especially if I am out of the office, and Sam is so busy I dont know how he ever makes it on here, but we definitely try to make it here at least once a day.

Best Regards
Scott

</div></div>

Scott,

Can you tell us exactly <span style="text-decoration: underline">what models</span> will be in the next "batch" though? It appears that the 4-16 FFP MIL models are the only ones that went out in the first batch. Will the second batch just be more of those?

I had ordered a 4-16 SFP MOA/MOA model (and a 2.5-10 MOA as well), and I was told a ~June arrival for the PST's like everybody else here understanding that there could be some delay. However I did not know that meant only a limited release of a certain model, and that the rest of the product line could be much further out.

Thanks in advance.

Thnks for the reply Scott, I am in on the PST also cant wait to get it hope it makes it here by around sept elk start bugling then Just keep us informed if possible thats all we ask

thanks for the update, i too am wanting to know if the sfp 6-24 is comming out or is another run of ffp. ..........

armymedic,

I was reading a thread earlier today and a guy was having the same problem in your sig. PM one of the mods or Lowlight or maybe one of the guys here can chime in, but there was some issue why his emblem wouldn't show...

John

thanks J, it has worked on other forums so was confused. i'll send a shout their way

Hey guys I was looking at Midwayusa the other day and noticed that the new estimated arrival dates for the MIL/MIL versions are 08-12-10 while the MOA/MOA versions have an arrival date of 01-08-2010 for the 6-24x50 and 12-11-10 for the 4-16x50. Has anyone heard anything refernce the moa/moa scopes having a longer hold time or problems outside what we saw in the initial batch? Or perhaps SCOTT@VORTEX (if your monitoring this thread) could offer some insight to this.

MidwayUSA ETA dates are absolutely meaningless...it has been discussed at length here (both as it pertains to the Viper PST scopes and other products).

Having been in the industry for more years than I care to keep track of (It's very difficult to keep telling myself that I am still in my 20's when I've been doing this for 30 years) I will say this for a delivery date....
Delivery dates are always subject to change.
The first delivery of the PST's was very limited. Reason being was so the guys at Vortex could evaluate the first batch and see what, if anything needed to be tweeked. They listened to initial feedback on the units that were delivered and instead of ignoring what they heard they actually are doing something about it (a rarity in the industry BTW). This tweeking of the line is what is delaying the next delivery, however, it is also upgrading the product at no additional cost to the consumer.
I say this is excellent. Impatience is something to be dealt with for the now and forgotten when you're enjoying the product. In the end you'll enjoy the product for WAY longer than the impatience of the wait.
Sit tight, be patient and when they arrive you'll be thrilled for years to come.
As soon as they have a confirmed date and not a guesstimate of date they will let us ( Camera Land , Scott @ Liberty, and all the other retailers that support this forum) know and you can be sure we'll let you know. Until that time be grateful that Vortex cares enough to take the time and the heat of the delay to bring you a better product rather than rolling it out for 6 months to a year and then releasing a "PST II" at a higher cost. I commend Vortex for the way they are handling this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gr8fuldoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first delivery of the PST's was very limited. Reason being was so the guys at Vortex could evaluate the first batch and see what, if anything needed to be tweaked. They listened to initial feedback on the units that were delivered and instead of ignoring what they heard they actually are doing something about it (a rarity in the industry BTW). This tweeking of the line is what is delaying the next delivery, however, it is also upgrading the product at no additional cost to the consumer.
I say this is excellent. </div></div>

I have to disagree with you, Doug. In other industries, they call this "Beta Testing" and the product is free for the testing period. Testers are usually given a discount on the final product. That way, dirty laundry is not aired in public.

I still think the PST has tremendous potential to be a big player in the "designer" tactical scope market. Whether Vortex learns from this depends on how you and I accept it and what feedback we give them.

John

Yeah But my concern was more for the difference in dates. Why give all models with mil/mil one date and moa a different. I'm just thinking perhaps they were told that the MOA versions were on a longer wait. not so much that the dates would be exact.

I understand where you're coming from, however, the delivered product was to original specs and when it came in they checked them out. All was what was expected, however, IMO, some points came up that they did not foresee and rather than ignore it, they delayed production to institute these corrections. I do not believe that Vortex is "Beta Testing" and "pulling one of the all time fast ones on the paying public". I think that they are adjusting issues they did not know existed.
I am also sure that if anyone who received one of the initially delivered scopes has any problems with it they would exchange it for them without question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gr8fuldoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not believe that Vortex is "Beta Testing" and "pulling one of the all time fast ones on the paying public". I think that they are adjusting issues they did not know existed.</div></div>

Doug, thanks for your perspective. You are more willing to give benefit of the doubt than I am at this point. I honestly hope you are right. Time will tell.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Doug, thanks for your perspective. You are far more willing to give benefit of the doubt than I am at this point. I honestly hope you are right. Time will tell. I think it's BS when companies treat customers that way.

John </div></div>

Are you still on about this?

And treat customers "that way"...

What way, specifically?

All I have to go on is their excellent customer service attitude as well as the interactions I've had with the guys at Vortex. I think they are more straight shooters than bull shitters

jrob300, I disagree with you on about 97% of your thoughts. Are you going to find every single Vortex thread out there to voice your personal displeasure on how they choose to do business? You've already stated you broke up with them as a customer, move on.

Vortex is doing their very best to produce a scope that has features and functions that typically costs way more. Hell, you say that Nightforce would never act this way, but then again the NXS with FFP and lit reticle is only 3 times the cost of the PST. So, if you chose to support Nightforce or any other manufacturer, that's fine by me. But I think it's time you got over your dislike of Vortex and move on.

In short, Vortex has been the most active and open manufacturer I've ever seen. They asked for wants, needs and even a price point and designed the PST around that. Then, hounded by the troops for a release date, they gave a rough guess....missed that date and then were trounced for it. They are the most involved manufacturer in the forums, I'll bet no one can give me another that's even close. However, I think they learned their lessons and they won't be participating as much. They'll hold their info close from here on out so that they don't have to answer pms and read threads about how guys are disappointed because of a missed date or some other BS. Instead of encouraging other scope makers to do the same and be active in the discussions, we've probably done just the opposite and convinced the rest of them that they were right in ignoring the public.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Instead of encouraging other scope makers to do the same and be active in the discussions, we've probably done just the opposite and convinced the rest of them that they were right in ignoring the public. </div></div>

Bingo.

And its attitudes like that of jrob300 that lead the list of why manufacturers have gotten into the practice of using a single voice to avoid conflicting information, minimizing the hard data they give out, and at all costs avoiding giving out release dates.

I am very pleased that they have taken the time to fix what the problems were. Willing to wait to get a scope with these features at this price point. Makes me even more willing to wait knowing they are doing the right thing, maybe not the right thing in a buisness sense but the right thing in going above and beyond what alot of manufactures would do. At least they did not send out a shit ton of scopes then retro fit them and have the pst 2 come out with the upgrades they just do it right of the bat.

Easy fix you want a NF get one and get over the pst.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Instead of encouraging other scope makers to do the same and be active in the discussions, we've probably done just the opposite and convinced the rest of them that they were right in ignoring the public. </div></div>

Bingo.

And its attitudes like that of jrob300 that lead the list of why manufacturers have gotten into the practice of using a single voice to avoid conflicting information, minimizing the hard data they give out, and at all costs avoiding giving out release dates. </div></div>

Thanks to a PM conversation with JasonK, he has diplomatically made me aware of the unintended consequence of my quest. It was never my intent to discourage the participation by manufacturers in this or any other forum. If I have done that by stating my minority opinion, I apologize to the community. I have PM'd Sam and Scott at Vortex and have edited my posts, in the hopes that they and other manufactures will see that we're big boys and when we see the light of day, are willing to own our stuff.

I will attempt to keep further posts to the technical as opposed to the philosophical, as it is much more objective.

John

I just wanted to weigh in this thread and say that jrob sent a pretty nice PM to both Scott and myself and we appreciate it.

Regarding the PSTs, we apologize that our customers have had to wait so long. If we had known it was going to take this long we would have waited to announce them. I will say that we have learned from this and will be much more careful about new product announcements in the future and we will be changing our product testing and QC procedures to avoid something like this ever happening again.

Just so everyone knows, we are already planning on replacing any PST that was sent out with a new one, once we have the retooled turrets. I don't want anyone thinking they paid full price for a "beta" scope. If you have a PST right now just shoot the crap out of it and when we get the next ones in give us a call and we'll replace it with a new one.

The bottom line is this, making sure our customers are happy is the most important thing to us, and is one of the reasons why we provide the warranty we do. So, the burden is definitely on us to make sure these are done right and built to last.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't want to give out an ETA. All I can say is that we are working to get them out as soon as possible.

-Sam

I don't own any Vortex scopes and have no dog in this fight, but I must say I have been continually impressed Sam's incredible customer support. Bravo!

Well atleast football season is around the corner if I can't shoot atleast I can watch TV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just wanted to weigh in this thread and say that jrob sent a pretty nice PM to both Scott and myself and we appreciate it.

Regarding the PSTs, we apologize that our customers have had to wait so long. If we had known it was going to take this long we would have waited to announce them. I will say that we have learned from this and will be much more careful about new product announcements in the future and we will be changing our product testing and QC procedures to avoid something like this ever happening again.

Just so everyone knows, we are already planning on replacing any PST that was sent out with a new one, once we have the retooled turrets. I don't want anyone thinking they paid full price for a "beta" scope. If you have a PST right now just shoot the crap out of it and when we get the next ones in give us a call and we'll replace it with a new one.

The bottom line is this, making sure our customers are happy is the most important thing to us, and is one of the reasons why we provide the warranty we do. So, the burden is definitely on us to make sure these are done right and built to last.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't want to give out an ETA. All I can say is that we are working to get them out as soon as possible.

-Sam </div></div>

Sam I am glad to hear this I have a 6-24 the ONLY issue is the turrets and they are not bad, the elevation isn't a problem its when I out it in a case the wind knob gets turned. It is nice to see a company stepping up and looking to provide such great customer service. From seeing your posts on here I had no doubt that you would stand behind your product. I am extremely happy with it, didn't think one could get a scope like this for under 2k with the features not to mention cs.

I just talked with Vortex about when the PST line might be available. I have two PST scopes on back order. They are always very professional and you can tell they feel badly about the delays. My sense this is a company that honestly cares about it products and customers. They are saying the next batch will definitely not be available in the next month and could be as long as three months.

here is the email from vortex on my PST. mu question to him was "is it possible to get mine by the end of august" along with a few other non important questions.
Matt,

It's just possible, but I'd say very unlikely. Main shipments of these PSTs will probably ship later this fall.

Main differences are the turrets, reticles and illumination as you mention. PSTs are also available in first focal plane models, which PA Vipers are not.

Sincerely,

Paul @ Vortex

Well, I guess I will be looking for a new scope now. I need this for work within the next month and it looks like that is not going to happen.

just wanted to toss in a good word for Chris at Vortex. the guy answers calls on weekends and after hours. pretty rare in the sales world these days. he's also a shooter and knows his stuff.
I currently have two Razor HD 5-20's and a 10X tactical bino with ranging reticule from them, all are stellar performers. I recently attended a tactical training where myself and a buddy were shooting Razor HD's and they ran like tops. we ranged those scopes up and down relentlessly for 10 hours a day for 3 days. (the zero stop saved my ass many times).
now please come out with a 2-12! thanks for great glass and great service.