• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Viper PST update from Vortex

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Hiders,

FYI, in case you haven't heard.

Scott

"<span style="font-style: italic">Vortex Viper PST Update

Dear Valued Dealer,

As you know, the Viper PST riflescope series offers an amazing combination of features for long range/tactical shooters and has created a lot of excitement and anticipation since they were announced earlier this year. We have been working very diligently to bring the PSTs to market and to make sure that they meet our critical standards of function and performance. It is extremely important to make sure that our dealers and customers are pleased in every way with this product.

We have made a decision to have a critical component of this scope retooled in order to meet our exacting standards and the rigorous demands that will be expected of them by our customers. Unfortunately, this action will cause some additional delay to the introduction of this series. We are sincerely sorry for this delay and the effect that it has and will have on you and your customers.

At this time we do not have an exact timeline or ETA for the scopes, but do anticipate that we will be able to ship these out to you before the end of the year. Please understand that this is a top priority and we will do our best to get them to you as soon as possible</span>."

Re: Viper PST update from Vortex

This really stinks if you have been waiting for a long time on one of these, but at least they are identifying problems and fixing them before a slew of these hit the market place. You have to at least give Vortex credit for being proactive and trying to deal with the problem.

I'd rather hear, "We'll get them out when we get them out" than to hear a certain day/month only to be pushed back over and over.

I also posted something similar to this in another thread, so in case you have not seen it, here it is:

"I can assure you that we did not send any scopes out as "beta testers". Yes, admittedly we made a few mistakes along this road, but hey hindsight is 20/20. We honestly felt like they would be ready sometime around June, so that was our best estimation and really was just that, an estimation and we tried our best to be very clear about that. If we could go back in time would we do things a little different, absolutely. Unfortunately we can not so we are doing what we feel is best to bring our customers a scope that they will be happy with. For those of you that dont already know we have redesigned the turret(and tested it) to have more resistance while still having a nice crisp tactile feel. It will take a little while to get the scopes done with the new turret internals(machining,assembly,more testing,etc...).
We are not giving out any estimations on delivery times this time around but, I can promise you that we are sparing no expense to get these done correctly and as quickly as possible. Another thing I can promise you is that we want these scopes on the market and in your hands just a bad as anyone. We are sorry it is taking so long, but we are confident that it will be worth the wait.

Sincerely
Scott "

Here is the thread:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1990763#Post1990763

Scott

Thank You,
As my wife just said, "Good things come to those who wait".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hiders,

FYI, in case you haven't heard.

Scott

"<span style="font-style: italic">Vortex Viper PST Update

Dear Valued Dealer,

As you know, the Viper PST riflescope series offers an amazing combination of features for long range/tactical shooters and has created a lot of excitement and anticipation since they were announced earlier this year. We have been working very diligently to bring the PSTs to market and to make sure that they meet our critical standards of function and performance. It is extremely important to make sure that our dealers and customers are pleased in every way with this product.

We have made a decision to have a critical component of this scope retooled in order to meet our exacting standards and the rigorous demands that will be expected of them by our customers. Unfortunately, this action will cause some additional delay to the introduction of this series. We are sincerely sorry for this delay and the effect that it has and will have on you and your customers.

At this time we do not have an exact timeline or ETA for the scopes, but do anticipate that we will be able to ship these out to you before the end of the year. Please understand that this is a top priority and we will do our best to get them to you as soon as possible</span>."
</div></div>

You can have it right, cheap or quick........pick two only.

Thanks for the good commo Scott.

I have been attempting to get my paws on one of these for awhile now. I understand the impatience, but Vortex knows they are screwed if they ship it before it's acceptable. Just a quick look at the initial reviews will confirm that.

People tent to be hyper critical about mid range scopes. Recently there have been a bunch to hit the market so it's tough competition. I wouldn't want to release something that isn't going to show well in the lineup.

Looking forward to reviewing one of the production models.

Damn, I was kinda hoping they would be out before I consented defeat and just bought another NSX.

I hope they are worth the wait. Last year I did the same with the Burris AR-332, it turned out to be junk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also posted something similar to this in another thread, so in case you have not seen it, here it is:

"I can assure you that we did not send any scopes out as "beta testers". Yes, admittedly we made a few mistakes along this road, but hey hindsight is 20/20. We honestly felt like they would be ready sometime around June, so that was our best estimation and really was just that, an estimation and we tried our best to be very clear about that. If we could go back in time would we do things a little different, absolutely. Unfortunately we can not so we are doing what we feel is best to bring our customers a scope that they will be happy with. For those of you that dont already know we have redesigned the turret(and tested it) to have more resistance while still having a nice crisp tactile feel. It will take a little while to get the scopes done with the new turret internals(machining,assembly,more testing,etc...).
We are not giving out any estimations on delivery times this time around but, I can promise you that we are sparing no expense to get these done correctly and as quickly as possible. Another thing I can promise you is that we want these scopes on the market and in your hands just a bad as anyone. We are sorry it is taking so long, but we are confident that it will be worth the wait.

Sincerely
Scott "

Here is the thread:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1990763#Post1990763

Scott </div></div>

I have a Viper in 6-24X50 that I picked up from Liberty and my friend has a Strikefire. Both of which works fine. If waiting 3-4 more months yields a high quality product, so be it.

I wish every manufacturer had the integrity to "get it right"!!!

Hello Microsoft????

I too am disappointed about the wait, but if it means a better product, then vortex can take all the time they need.

Think about it guys.

Would you rather spend your money and get a dodgy scope now?
Or would you rather wait and get a perfect peice of glass that wont let you down?

Im glad to hear they're admitting thier mistakes, which is far better than can be said of some other companies.

2 morals of the story...

1. Dont buy a new, unproven product via preorder.

2. Dont buy gear that hasnt been tested and proven by the public unless YOU are prepared to be a guinea pig. (guinea pigs dont have the right to complain)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wonder if the pricing structure will be adjusted. </div></div> Absolutely not, we are absorbing all of the increases on our end. We gave our dealers prices on these scopes and we are sticking to those prices.

Scott

Scott,

I've heard all this crap throughout this process and as much as I hate it for you all at Vortex, people still have the right to their opinions. That said, my opinion is, you guys are doing the right thing, even if some people bitch and gripe, in the end you should find a solid following for giving us what we want/need(and with quality) at a price normal folks can live with.

Thank you all and just keep doing things the way you feel they should be done.

Jason

I have a Viper PST from the first batch that was released. I am very pleased with it. I think Vortex did a really good job with this scope. I did find the turrets a little loose for my taste, but it sounds like Vortex is fixing that. I still give props to Vortex for listening to shooters and giving us what we want. Keep that in mind before you bash the company for a few hiccups they are encountering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Viper PST from the first batch that was released. I am very pleased with it. I think Vortex did a really good job with this scope. I did find the turrets a little loose for my taste, but it sounds like Vortex is fixing that. I still give props to Vortex for listening to shooters and giving us what we want. Keep that in mind before you bash the company for a few hiccups they are encountering. </div></div>

Absolutely.

I think rather than bitching all night about this, they should recognize that this really is VERY rare to find a manufacturer who is willing to stop in thier tracks, listen to the community, and make things right before they just start printing money off of a product they could have sold at 90% status and immediately obtained the revenue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have it right, cheap or quick........pick two only.

Thanks for the good commo Scott. </div></div>

Right and quick... I picked 2 lol

Right and quick equals not cheap.

Every piece of Vortex gear I have had has been better than the price indicated. I look forward to this optic.

I will agree with Hydro. I love my vortex bino's and can't wait for my PST to get here.

I have a PST on back order and will keep it on order. I am also looking a purchacing two other optics from Scott at liberty Optics. I belive Scott is backing Vortex because they are honest and have a true understanding of what the end customer wants and needs. I see many more Viper optics purcahased thur Scott at liberty optics.

Scott keep up the good work and continue to keep us informed with any new updates on products.

I'm still waiting. Once you get past 6 months, its really all down hill from there.
smile.gif

I'm working on 9 months and enjoy harassing Scott on a monthly PST basis.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Viper PST from the first batch that was released. I am very pleased with it. I think Vortex did a really good job with this scope. I did find the turrets a little loose for my taste, but it sounds like Vortex is fixing that. I still give props to Vortex for listening to shooters and giving us what we want. Keep that in mind before you bash the company for a few hiccups they are encountering. </div></div>

Absolutely.

I think rather than bitching all night about this, they should recognize that this really is VERY rare to find a manufacturer who is willing to stop in thier tracks, listen to the community, and make things right before they just start printing money off of a product they could have sold at 90% status and immediately obtained the revenue. </div></div>

Spot on the money! It's a rare thing these days to find a company that will openly admit that they had a problem with a product, and that they will keep that product off the market until they feel they have corrected the problem and can offer a superior product to their customers. Well done Vortex Optics and well done Scott B. at Liberty Optics for keeping us informed! I’m looking forward to getting my hands on one of the new PST scopes, and I don’t mind waiting for quality.

Some times I think we are conditioned as a society to expect instant results, instant service, and instant gratification. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to bring a new product to the market and then offer it to such a discerning and educated group of buyers such as the members here on “The Hide”. It’s no small feat. Major companies that have been in the business for years and that have huge R&D departments and all kinds of advertising dollars often get beat to hell within the pages of this site for not doing what Vortex is doing. Those same major companies have notoriously bad customer service, couldn’t give a flying fcuk what you want or need in an optic, and are more than happy to charge you a price (for an inferior product) that is just this side of robbery. I think we should find comfort in the fact that Vortex is standing behind their product and is making every effort to improve it and meet the needs of a very select group of shooters.

I think in summary what I am saying is cut Vortex and Liberty some slack and let’s see where this goes, and yes, I’m waiting for a PST my self! But hey, I would rather wait for Vortex to fix a few issues with their optics than deal with the B.S. I’m going through with Nikon, or that I have dealt with at Leupold.

Talked to Scott at RR3G real nice guy. He told me the exact date the new pst vipers were going to come out. But he gave me a nice tee shirt and I had to promise not to tell. It will take to the end of the year for me to save the money for the scope any way. I think it will be worth the wait.

It's good to finally get a new ETA on the release of these. Bummer it's been pushed out so far, but I look forward to getting one,... someday?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have it right, cheap or quick........pick two only.

Right and quick... I picked 2 lol </div></div>

Well, some folk don't have daddy's money to blow, ao they lean right and cheap. Your point was?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have it right, cheap or quick........pick two only.

Well, some folk don't have daddy's money to blow, ao they lean right and cheap. Your point was? </div></div>

If your tryn'g to say that I have my dads money to blow then your quite wrong, once again. If I had my dads money to blow id have more then one setup and they'd all be wearing Hensoldts. I work to pay for my shit and Im damn proud of it.

Hey scott, any news on whether or not the moa turrets will be 12 moa still? 12 just doesn't make any sense.

Props to vortex for stepping up to the plate on this one and doing the right thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have it right, cheap or quick........pick two only.

Well, some folk don't have daddy's money to blow, ao they lean right and cheap. Your point was? </div></div>

If your tryn'g to say that I have my dads money to blow then your quite wrong, once again. If I had my dads money to blow id have more then one setup and they'd all be wearing Hensoldts. I work to pay for my shit and Im damn proud of it. </div></div>

I remember those days of being young and having some nice things that I worked my butt off to save enough money to buy, and then spending more time trying to convince everyone that it was mine and not my dads money that was spent on it. My dad was a single father raising 2 boys on a teachers salary, there wasn't a lot of spending money to be had.

Get your toys while you can, 'cause once you get older other responsibilities move higher and higher in the priority list, like college, rent, (dare I say it?) kids! I may not have as nice of things as many on here, but darn it, I make it work as good or better!

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I work to pay for myhit and Im damn proud of it. </div></div>

Sounds familiar

I'm seeing the PSTs for sale on a couple sites. Are those the 1st generation then? Would it be a mistake to order one of them. The prices seem pretty good, especially for the 2.5-10.

Sorry if I missed it, is the looseness in the turrets the only issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Viper PST from the first batch that was released. I am very pleased with it. I think Vortex did a really good job with this scope. I did find the turrets a little loose for my taste, but it sounds like Vortex is fixing that. I still give props to Vortex for listening to shooters and giving us what we want. Keep that in mind before you bash the company for a few hiccups they are encountering. </div></div>

Absolutely.

+1

I think rather than bitching all night about this, they should recognize that this really is VERY rare to find a manufacturer who is willing to stop in thier tracks, listen to the community, and make things right before they just start printing money off of a product they could have sold at 90% status and immediately obtained the revenue. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm seeing the PSTs for sale on a couple sites. Are those the 1st generation then? Would it be a mistake to order one of them. The prices seem pretty good, especially for the 2.5-10.

Sorry if I missed it, is the looseness in the turrets the only issue? </div></div>

I'd be shocked if any dealer in the country had them in stock.

If prices are below MAP, then this is another red flag.

These scopes promise to be everything us Hide shooters need for a great price, but we'll have to wait a bit longer.

Scott

Scot,

I for one applaud you and your company for making sure you put out a quality product. Face it yall, if Leupold had the same mindset as Vortex, then Leupold would still be at the top of their game. A company is spending more money to make sure it is done right. I am gonna be buying one of these scopes when they come out, unless it is just pure shit, which I dont see happening. At least we have a company who actually listens to us.

Scott,

You were right about the availability. None show as out of stock on the sites mentioned, but upon calling, different story.

Oh well, I do believe these will be well worth the wait!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sorry if I missed it, is the looseness in the turrets the only issue? </div></div>

I believe it's the only issue that isn't shared with other scopes from other manufacturers.
Mine aren't even all that loose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I believe it's the only issue that isn't shared with other scopes from other manufacturers.
Mine aren't even all that loose.</div></div>

I believe chromatic aberration was a problem as well, gave things a sort of reddish tint.

For one person it was a problem didnt really here that much about it from the other reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mine aren't even all that loose.</div></div>

I believe chromatic aberration was a problem as well, gave things a sort of reddish tint. </div></div>Just a quick comment on the CA.

I ended up buying a Vortex Razor because I could no longer wait for the PST's and as I had deduced much earlier in the process, they were delayed months.

The Razor, even though it has APO and HD glass, *still* exhibits the same red spectrum CA as the pictures of the Viper PST and the Viper 6.5-20 that I got to use. It's not as bad, but it's definitely there.

Now, here's the point I wanted to make... If this was a spotting scope, or if I spent hours sitting behind it identifying targets, it would be gone. It's annoying. Not acceptable. But in my ACTUAL use... I don't notice it. At all. It's still there, but I'm concentrating on more important things and it is not keeping me from getting the job at hand accomplished.

This is the difference between a tool and a hobby collection. Tools are used for their intended purpose AND measured that way. Will this tool do what I need it to do? Hobby collections are measured by ideals and numbers, and it's really easy to have internet discussions about all the ideal scenarios. BUT, at the end of the day, what do YOU need it to do? Get really clear about that, because there are NO perfect scopes.

John

I get your point, and while I agree that there are no perfect scopes, I don't think I could drop the coin on a Razor just to have to deal with the same CA problem seen in a much cheaper scope. For me, the point of buying high end scopes is to get high end glass, there are other scopes out there with a lower price tag that can get me repeatability while sacrificing a little bit of optical clarity.