• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Visiting Denver

Blaster7Romeo

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2010
Hendersonville NC
So I have some spare time for a few weeks. Gonna drive to Denver from NC. I have an Epic ski pass so there will be a few days of skiing in the mountains. As well as a trip to check out MHS. I am looking for some ideas on places to visit . I like good steaks, skiing of course, guns, pretty vewis and drives. not much for night life, drinking, hipsters or masks.

If your coming north to MHSA, it’s worth it to make a trip up to Ft.Collins and have dinner at The Still Whiskey Steaks. Order the meat pile. It’s an appetizer, 2lbs of chopped tenderloin. The wife and I split it with the green chili Mac & cheese. Also all the high end bourbons you can afford.

Scheels in Johnstown is fun to walk around and look at everything. USA Liberty Firearms in Ft.Collins is a good shop to go to as well.

Last edited:
tracks nightclub
blush and blue City Park West

hope you have a great time

gonna add only planing on skiing weekdays. I usually ski Salt Lake city resorts. but felt like a change this season sence I am going to take the new ride on a road trip. The price of the epic military pass is to cheap to ignore even if they are commies. it is cheaper than a day pass at most resorts

For an awesome once the trip.
Stop by Morrison 's The Fort.
An experience to remember, fantastic food.
Never had a bad meal there.
Try making it there 2Xs a year at least

Last edited:
Drive up berthoud pass to Winter Park unless there's bad weather.

The views alone are worth it. Stay out of downtown and away from Union Station.

Mile High Shooting is worth a trip, Scheels isn't much farther. Melting Pot is a good spot to eat if you like fondue. Steak is good at lots of places.

The still whiskey steaks is good, the guard and grace is also really good. Pikes Peak is neat to drive up depending on the weather. Garden of the Gods is nice too along with Estes park/ Rocky Mountain National park.

Drive up berthoud pass to Winter Park unless there's bad weather.

The views alone are worth it. Stay out of downtown and away from Union Station.

Mile High Shooting is worth a trip, Scheels isn't much farther. Melting Pot is a good spot to eat if you like fondue. Steak is good at lots of places.
I did accidentally did that drive up out of winter park buy accident when I was there 2 years ago.. if the significance of Granby CO would have dawned on me then I would have payed more attention lol

o I forgot about pikes peak!

Reactions: Bender
Kifaru shop was a cool spot to visit, I doubt that's changed with new ownership. Stopped in unannounced got a tour and some freebies, good group of guys.

Reactions: powdahound76
Since you’re on the Epic, skip Berthoud and drive over Loveland pass in to Keystone. Can’t ski WP on the epic anyways and Loveland pass is twice as cool as Berthoud. Either way, come prepared for serious, no shit winter driving conditions so you don’t become the asshole that starts Carmageddon.

See about a visit to Burris in Greeley.

Get yourself to the Bucksnort Saloon.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
Spend some time in the Colorado
Springs area too. Plenty of beautiful views.
If you can make the time drive a few miles south to Raton New Mexico and check out the NRA Whittington Center. And HMFIC of this place is from the Denver area, maybe he's giving a class you could take.

NRA Whittington Center: The Country's Premier Shooting Facility​

https://www.nrawc.org

The NRA Whittington Center is unlike any place on earth. More than 33300 acres and 25 ranges are devoted to shooting for any kind of discipline.

• Wow
If you make it to Rocky Mountain National Park, drive Trail Ridge Road from Estes Park to Grand Lake. It’s a beautiful drive. If it’s open. Fall River Road is a really sweet drive, gravel road, one way...up, but I know it’s probably not open yet.
That won’t be open this time of year, there’s about 20ft of snow across the roads. The Peak to Peak highway is an awesome drive from the Denver area to Estes Park that’s open year round. I’ve driven it many times and always enjoy it

OP, if you aren’t fond of masks you may not want to visit the mtns except for the stuff you really want to do. It’s been a few months but we went to Nederland(west of Boulder in the foothills) earlier in the fall and all of the businesses were mask nazis. Attitudes may have changed but beware. Everywhere I’ve been in the Denver area(downtown and north burbs) has been really lax on the mask policy.

I can second The Buckhorn Exchange, it’s expensive but great. Colorado has plenty of amazing steakhouses though so pick a few based on price and reviews and enjoy. You could hit up a Brazilian steakhouse(think of a meat buffet). My wife and I took her daughter to Texas De Brazil for her 18th bday and I was legit full for 24hrs. There are others too that are good, I can just vouch for that one

I know you said you’re driving, try to keep it that way. I don’t know if you’ve flown recently but the mask nazi is still strong on planes. I may have been involved in an incident recently…

I have not put on a mask outside a hospital setting in about a year. kind of funny Denver is getting lax and the mountains are not. it is the exact opposite here in NC. I travel for work over most of the state and even in the most liberal areas people are over the masks for the most part. I did fly to Bozeman in the fall of 2020 had to have a mask on the whole time ( and hated it) but for the plane ticket being less than half off normal price for a vacation with my GF to Yellowstone I sucked it up. But for normal plane tickets, and rental car prices .. I used it as an excuse to get a new Explorer ST to take a few road trips lol I can suck it up and put on a mask to walk TO my tables at a restaurant if it is a good place.

looks like vail reaorts want you to put on a mask and show vaccine card (which I don't have) to eat there.. I am usually a sandwich in the backpack and ski during lunch hour kind of guy anyway. so I can adapt to that. My epic military pass was like $135 bucks for the year so I will let it go. But I kind of dig the mom and pop ski resort vibe and if there is one that has a great veterans or ski patrol discount and no mask policy I am open to that as well. it is not going to take much to ski out my legs for the day as little a skiing as I have done so far this season.

Yea a trip to Esties Park was on my list for sure. And every trip out west I take I try to have one Breakfast at The original pancake house.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schütze
I don’t think I’ve heard of any places asking to show papers to get in but I try not to pay attention to any corporate press so I’m sure I’ve missed some of that. The only place I’ve been harassed about a mask lately is the airport and even then it’s mostly been from the flight attendants

If you can make the time drive a few miles south to Raton New Mexico and check out the NRA Whittington Center. And HMFIC of this place is from the Denver area, maybe he's giving a class you could take.

NRA Whittington Center: The Country's Premier Shooting Facility

https://www.nrawc.org

The NRA Whittington Center is unlike any place on earth. More than 33300 acres and 25 ranges are devoted to shooting for any kind of discipline.

oooo that is the Raton that people keep referring to in the Podcast ? hummm.

can someone point me in the direction on the Frank's cours schedule.. worth a look

Last edited:
When you get here, just grab some weed and, you know........fuck it...........🤣

• Love
Reactions: Maggot
oooo that is the Raton that people keep referring to in the Podcast ? hummm.

can someone point me in the direction on the Frank's cours schedule.. worth a look
Raton and the Whittington Center are 3 hours (unless the pass got a lot of snow) due south of Denver just off I 35.

There is a way to search for Frank's events but I cant find it. Ask AlexJ or LL himself.

20220305_142545.jpg

Raton and the Whittington Center are 3 hours (unless the pass got a lot of snow) due south of Denver just off I 35.

There is a way to search for Frank's events but I cant find it. Ask AlexJ or LL himself.
Not picking on you but it is on I-25 12 miles south of Raton.........

Monarch is really nice, lots of real snow, town is small but lots and lots of different places, things to see in the Arkansas Valley. Place drools of history.

Skiing at Monarch, Bring Your Lungs. 11,000 feet base, right at 12,000 feet at the summit.

Monarch Ski Mountain
Monarch is good.
If you like steep trees, Mirkwood bowl and trees is about as good as it gets.

Have been over my waist in there more than once, could barely see!

One of my favs in CO.

If you can ski A Basin on Epic still, its my fav in Summit.

Shoot a PM if you need anything. I live on the W side of Denver and pretend to know stuff.

Monarch is good.
If you like steep trees, Mirkwood bowl and trees is about as good as it gets.

Have been over my waist in there more than once, could barely see!

One of my favs in CO.

If you can ski A Basin on Epic still, its my fav in Summit.

Shoot a PM if you need anything. I live on the W side of Denver and pretend to know stuff.
I heard you have bright green pompoms on yuor pink ballet slippers. Is dat so?

Damn I love the Horse Soldier. Slips right the fuck up on ya.

If you go to Gunbarrel, stop by Salvaggio’s Deli in Boulder.

Best prime rib sub ever!!

I just looked em up. Apparently one in Denver, downtown, too.
Thats a serious case of the lesser of two evils.

At least in Boulder there are cute fit girls around….
Downtown Denver stinks of piss and weed smoke.

Go through Boulder on the way TO the museum using Hwy 36. You'll get a stunning view of the Flatirons. Stop at the overlook along side the highway. Take some pictures. You might even take a drive up Flagstaff Rd. as a detour. You might regret the switchbacks but the views are insane It feels like you can see to Kansas on a clear day. And most days here are clear. Totally worth your time. If you like fine dining, I've heard the Flagstaff House is pretty good. Don't know how you can "time" it as it's a dinner only but thought it worth a mention.

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg

well I just finished up my bison prime rib at The Buckhorn Exchange. thanks for the recommendation!

was planing on heading up to Rocky Mt Park tomorrow. what would the best way to infill and exfill be ? given weeken traffic and whatever snow may happen .. or would that not be the best idea ?

well I just finished up my bison prime rib at The Buckhorn Exchange. thanks for the recommendation!

was planing on heading up to Rocky Mt Park tomorrow. what would the best way to infill and exfill be ? given weeken traffic and whatever snow may happen .. or would that not be the best idea ?
You can also go through Boulder to get there. If you want the fastest route I would assume I-25 North to Hwy 66 to Estes Park. Gunbarrel and the museum are about halfway between there, Longmont, and Boulder along the fall line of the mountains.

So I have some spare time for a few weeks. Gonna drive to Denver from NC. I have an Epic ski pass so there will be a few days of skiing in the mountains. As well as a trip to check out MHS. I am looking for some ideas on places to visit . I like good steaks, skiing of course, guns, pretty vewis and drives. not much for night life, drinking, hipsters or masks.
Try 16th street mall, bring your shopping cart, used needles and experience the 3D smell of piss and shit.

Reactions: The D

This time of year shouldn’t have a ton of people to and from Estes but if you have some time I’d wait until Monday. You’ll have even less people in the way. You could take 36 from Boulder up to Estes then 34 to Loveland then 25 south back to Denver. Pro tip; go through the north entrance, there are less people that go that way. You could also stay at one of the hotels/condo rentals that way. There are some that are right on the river. You may also see a herd of bighorn sheep roaming around in that area. Don’t forget to stop at the best bbq joint in Co(my biased opinion), Smokin Dave’s. The original is in Estes but there is another in Longmont. Food is amazeballs at either one.

Try 16th street mall, bring your shopping cart, used needles and experience the 3D smell of piss and shit.
This, sort of. I work downtown and there are definitely a growing amount of homeless zombies but the city seems to do their best to keep them off the 16th st mall. You’ll definitely still see them there, especially if you take the free mall ride, but it’s not too concentrated.

So it isn't a tent city there...yet?

I remember going there at least 15 years ago and it was kinda trashy and dirty.
Oh no, it’s tent city. Just north of Rockies stadium off of Brighton Blvd where they are building a whole bunch of apartment buildings.

I avoid downtown like the plague, so couldnt tell you what it looks like now.

Like you, but just the train, then a short walk and into the stadium.

So it isn't a tent city there...yet?

I remember going there at least 15 years ago and it was kinda trashy and dirty.
There are spots that looks like a garbage dump but 16th street mall stays fairly clean.