• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vitamins having a negative effect?

Hackk

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
ok, so this may sound crazy, but I've noticed my energy levels have been decreasing for a few weeks now. On top of that I've been a lot more irritable, and experiencing depression as well. So much so, that I can barely get myself off the couch, and just want to sleep. So I think to myself what have I changed? For over a year now since I got the OK to hit the gym after a motorcycle accident, I have been training hard, running, lifting, and even taking every enjoyable class my gym has to offer. My body is in great shape, my health and spirit better than ever. But starting a month ago, I started to feel "off". So thinking maybe I wasnt eating right, or was over doing my workouts, I attempted trying new meal timing, or/and cutting out fats/carbs/ or whatever I want to experiment with just to feel right. Once that didnt do anything, I had no clue...

That's when it hit me! I then realized TODAY in fact, after taking my supplements, putting on my gym clothes (I run to my gym), and 10 minutes later I lost all energy, that I started taking a once a day multivitamin and b-vitamin booster a month ago. Specifically GNC mens Mega sport, and B-complex 50 with C around the same time.

After some simple googling, it looks like I'm really not alone. Turns out, some people experience depression while taking B vitamins, and a person with a well rounded healthy diet can actually have a negative effect when taking multi's because the body actually has to work REMOVING the excess waste, rather than absorbing and utilizing.

I'm wondering if any of you have had the same experience? Starting tomorrow I will be cutting these supplements completely from my daily intake, and seeing if I feel an improvement.

Re: Vitamins having a negative effect?

I can tell you, the physical effects I have been feeling, are NOT in my head. Something is truly not right in my system, and it being a month of this problem AND a month of taking these vitamins, it only makes sense... and like I said, yesterday I was pumped and ready to go, and 10 minutes after taking them, I just wanted to sleep again...

Today is the first day of stopping them, so we'll see how I feel

It might just be the fillers GNC uses. I have heard of this before. If your symptoms go away after stopping the supplements, you might want to try another brand.

I have had the same symptoms with multi vitamins also like the one a day crap, got depressed, tired and sick within a couple days of taking it.
never took another for 2 1/2 year now and never had those symptoms again.
good to know i am not the only one.

btw, so far today I have more energy than usual. While I still feel slightly sluggish, its no where near as debilitating as when taking them... We'll see how I feel once they are fully flushed from my system

You don't show any of the signs for a toxic amount of vitamins so it sounds more like it is just a side effect you are having with one of the supplements.

Those definitely are some of side effects that studies have shows associated with multi's though. I was actually just reading one that touched on this, will try to find the link.

It was saying something though just like how you did:<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hackk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and a person with a well rounded healthy diet can actually have a negative effect when taking multi's because the body actually has to work REMOVING the excess waste..</div></div>

Which sounds like what a lot of it is becoming in your case, waste causing a negative effect. Anything and everything taken in an excessive amount for YOUR body can be harmful. Everybody is different obviously.

My major is in health and human performance, so this area is somewhat my background, if that counts for anything.

Oh, and if you do find that article, I'd love to read it... if its online that is...

A simple vitamin C (chewable) should give you instant energy.
It helps me beat the 1pm/2pm coffee need.
Minimum amount is 500mg

Vitamin B-12 helps increase circulation at 1000mcg

Id look into the quality of your daily multivitamin and the megasport.

Also do you eat before your workouts?

I always feel weighted down and sluggish if I eat before a workout. Usually, I try to refrain from eating a couple hours before a heavy workout...

How much Iron are you taking? and I don't mean what's down the gym either.....

Depression
Weight gain round your stomach/waist line only
Drop to sleep all the time
Can't get enough sleep
Total lack of energy

All for no apparent reason

The Ratwife's been feeling a lot of the same symptoms form years and the Sore Bones just said change your diet and get more excersise.
Until a month ago when her brother went down hill fast with all the same problems. So one blood test latter (differant S/Bones), hey ho....

Genetic (in his case) Hemochromotosis (three word score in scrabble)

What it boils down to is an elevated amount of Iron in the bloody to a toxic level. Easily cureable (you get to be the world's best blood donor for a while) and should have no long term effects.

A wide punt I know, but...

Or you just need a whisky and a woman and a weekend away from the gym.

Well, to update. I feel completely refreshed and healthy once again. I stopped taking the multivitamins, and once my urine stopped glowing, I began to feel normal once again.

So kids, take it for what it's worth. I feel I found my answer, and hopefully this can help someone find theirs as well...