• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Voertex Optics Never Ever Again!!!

Must have been a miscommunication with the customer service. But in all honesty I did pay to have it sent and they paid for the return.

This has been my experience also. I had to send my 4-16x50 PST back twice for a reticle problem and illumination being broke (would go to brightest setting on all "off" spots of the dial). Both times I paid for shipping but never asked for a shipping label.

The second time was a couple of months ago. I filled out their form, went to the post office, sent it out, got back and there was the form! The post office was going to be closed before I could get there so I called Vortex. Immediately got a very nice CS lady and explained the situation. I read her all the stuff on the form as she typed it up on her end. She said it'll be waiting for when my scope came in and they'll get right on it. I had it in less than a week fixed and ready to go!

About the only thing that I would do differently than the OP would be not to try different rings and rifles. If you're confident in the rifle, the mount, and your abilities to properly mount an optic, don't throw good money after bad. Trust yourself, send it back, and let them figure it out.

Since it was hard for you to read and obviously you still haven't grasp the English language...

Ironic... Go back and read your own initial post along with even the title of your thread then try and tell us who doesn't have a grasp of the English Language...

There is a reason home owners us vortex. Good optics for the most part, but any time you get a " any trouble we'll replace warranty be worried". While that is great bargin for your hard earned money. You'll never see operators who's lives depend on it using vortex, other than a photo op.. To get the you can bet your ASS warranty it costs alittle more than what most home owners want to pay. So while your bread is rising and you have time to play enjoy your vortex. If your getting deployed, yea get a night force, Shcmit Bender, USO or type scope and live to see your play box again. I had a scope with over the counter replacement it failed bad twice, and twice I got a new scope. Third time I said no thanks. Beware of what a great warranty says " we replace a lot of scopes!

I'm not an "operator" but I'm fairly certain there's at least one person here on the Hide who more than qualifies and would tell you they recently deployed with some Razors. And if you think a S&B, Leupold, or USO doesn't brake with hard use then you should probably actually go out and shoot them from something other than a bench.

Hey guys please stop berating FULLDRAW. While I agree with most that has been said about Vortex's excellent CS continuing to berate him serves no useful purpose. I hope he understands the issues involved and I hope he will do things differently next time around if there is a next time.

Might want to talk to my team mate who had his NF F1 crap out on him twice and when he sent it in they all but accused him of not knowing how to use the scope.

No scope is perfect. Not even NF.

You are correct, anything can fail but my point is a lot fail much less than others. When is the last time you saw a "my NF broke" thread? There's been two vortex threads in the last couple days and there usually a few a week. Phillipino scopes have a high failure rate and that's a fact.

I'm sure there have been negative custom service experiences with NF and I'm sue Vortex in the same way. The one time I sent a NF back with a rheostat I broke and I said I broke they fixed it fast, didn't charge and thing, and even shipped it back for free. I also had good customer service experiences when I had to send back every vortex I owned. Of all the optics companies I've had to deal with on repairs the only negative experience I had was with USO. I would rather not need to use the customer service though.

Sorry you have had a problem with your Vortex Scope but it seems like your expectations are pretty unreasonable here. Not sure what could make you happy. Vortex has offered you your money back. I would take it and move on. Also paragraphs are your friend on long posts.

Last edited:
You are correct, anything can fail but my point is a lot fail much less than others. When is the last time you saw a "my NF broke" thread? There's been two vortex threads in the last couple days and there usually a few a week. Phillipino scopes have a high failure rate and that's a fact.

I'm sure there have been negative custom service experiences with NF and I'm sue Vortex in the same way. The one time I sent a NF back with a rheostat I broke and I said I broke they fixed it fast, didn't charge and thing, and even shipped it back for free. I also had good customer service experiences when I had to send back every vortex I owned. Of all the optics companies I've had to deal with on repairs the only negative experience I had was with USO. I would rather not need to use the customer service though.

There are a lot more Vortex scopes out there than NF though. So percentage wise you'd expect to see more cases of Vortex braking than NF because they're used more often. Furthermore, people who expect a product to live up to a higher expectation of a more expensive product are more likely to bitch about it than those who spend the more initially or those who have actually used more than one product and know that shit just breaks sometimes.

There are a lot more Vortex scopes out there than NF though. So percentage wise you'd expect to see more cases of Vortex braking than NF because they're used more often. Furthermore, people who expect a product to live up to a higher expectation of a more expensive product are more likely to bitch about it than those who spend the more initially or those who have actually used more than one product and know that shit just breaks sometimes.

Do you have sales figures to back this up? Somehow I highly doubt that seeing as how long NF has been making them compared to vortex.

Do you have sales figures to back this up? Somehow I highly doubt that seeing as how long NF has been making them compared to vortex.

Exact statistic? Nope... But neither do you so if you really want to go there then you should try and quantify your own statement which you made first. If you're going to base yours on what you see online then I can say that I sell optics in a large retail setting and for every Nightforce I see sold there are dozens of Vortex sold. Most people don't have $1500+ to spend on glass.

Exact statistic? Nope... But neither do you so if you really want to go there then you should try and quantify your own statement which you made first. If you're going to base yours on what you see online then I can say that I sell optics in a large retail setting and for every Nightforce I see sold there are dozens of Vortex sold. Most people don't have $1500+ to spend on glass.

You made a statement with nothing to back it up, I at least listed my reasoning as to why I believe there are more NF scopes in the hands of shooters. Vortex has been making LR scopes for a few years, NIghtforce has been doing it for almost two decades... Huge difference there. NF was putting out matched reticle/knob scopes 15 years ago when S&B with their "metric" (as everybody called it) system was the only other real matched game in town. NF sold the shit out of their scopes and still does. I feel pretty confident that the only company that has more LR catered scopes out there than NF is Leupy.

Just wanted to give my thumbs up to Vortex and their customer service. Vortex is a really good company and it takes care of its customers. Vortex full refund offer to the OP is more generous than I've seen in almost all other cases.

jeez, nice first post. Since the scope you had was on back order and not available, they offered you a free upgrade, a total refund, and the ONLY scope they had like yours which was used, in an effort to placate your whiny self. Still not good enough.
Then you joined a pretty good shooting site specifically to rant about "poor" CS. Hopefully some day you'll encounter poor customer service, and recall Vortex's efforts, and realize they did everything they could to make you happy.

I've been in CS for most of my life, and customers like you pop up from time to time. Most companies are better off without people like you as owners.

1911fan

You made a statement with nothing to back it up, I at least listed my reasoning as to why I believe there are more NF scopes in the hands of shooters. Vortex has been making LR scopes for a few years, NIghtforce has been doing it for almost two decades... Huge difference there. NF was putting out matched reticle/knob scopes 15 years ago when S&B with their "metric" (as everybody called it) system was the only other real matched game in town. NF sold the shit out of their scopes and still does. I feel pretty confident that the only company that has more LR catered scopes out there than NF is Leupy.

No I didn't. And now you're trying to tailor your argument to "LR" to justify your error. I go to matches as well and I see just as many Vortex, S&B, Premier, and USO out there as I do NF. And if you want to go based upon experience... I actually sell BOTH optics and deal directly with the customers so I actually see what they purchase.

So they fixed it, then somehow it broke again, they offered you a replacement higher dollar scope which you grudgingly accepted (the nerve of those assholes!) and now you're here to complain about it.

I agree I would rather not have to use CS either but for this thread it seems like CS was pretty good but the customer didn't want to use it.

The NF scopes were brought up as if there are never any problems. There are and that's a fact. Percentage wise it might be smaller but it's there. You also can't really compare apples to apples a scope that costs 3 times as much as another either.

-15 at about 10 am this morning brother was visiting from NC so we went deer hunting no deer but went and shot steel out to 800 my vortex hs lr performed as expected and has been doing the same for a while. Shit breaks it is just a fact of life its how it gets taken care of when some thing breaks.

Could it be that maybe the two rifles he tried it on don't like the ammo he was using. He didn't say whether they were premium match loads, hand loads, or run of the mill hunting rounds. There are just so many factors that haven't been covered.

The bottom line here is, you do indeed get exactly what you pay for. If you are a demanding customer that expects whatever you buy to perform no matter what, then maybe the Vortex PST line of optics is not for you. It is true that anything mechanical can and will break but when I hear of a Vortex going down I almost always hear it compared to a NF or S&B when in fact a PST Vortex doesn't amount to shit in comparison. They are a good scope in that price bracket but if you do buy in that price range you can just expect a pretty high degree of failure and that is okay because the good folks at Vortex have your back. If you are like me and you don't want to send your gear back and forth buy the Razor and your odds will be better.

You can't upset the collective here. Say anything about Vortex and they swarm on you like fire ants when the mound is disturbed. The reason, of course, is that so many own Vortex and they are emotionally invested in their purchase. Now they will come out of the woodwork to attack me for saying this, but it is true. I'm sure Vortex is an ok scope, but is certainly not the greatest, nor the shining example of quality that the Vortex owners want it to be. It's a decent scope with more than it's share of problems, which seem to get addressed by the company, but shouldn't be happening as much in the first place.

You can't upset the collective here. Say anything about Vortex and they swarm on you like fire ants when the mound is disturbed. The reason, of course, is that so many own Vortex and they are emotionally invested in their purchase. Now they will come out of the woodwork to attack me for saying this, but it is true. I'm sure Vortex is an ok scope, but is certainly not the greatest, nor the shining example of quality that the Vortex owners want it to be. It's a decent scope with more than it's share of problems, which seem to get addressed by the company, but shouldn't be happening as much in the first place.

That all sounds great but why are we not comparing apples to apples here? What vortex scope are you referring to? The ops issue was with a pst line and hardly comparable to NF or their own razor line up.

Since we're talking about NF why are we not exclusively comparing it to the razor line simply because they are in the same price range and quality. The pst line is simply not. It's not designed to be as rugged and abuse proof as say the razor 5-20 or a NF of any line. I've seen about every manufacturers stuff fail. Had a USO fail, seen NF fail a few times, saw a razor fail. Doesn't mean much really. They are all good optics and generally do exactly as designed.

Really the fact that we can dial dope thousands of times and bang shit around, punish them with recoil it's truly amazing to me they do what they do.

Last edited:
I have dealt with Vortex before, They treat folks fair.

After reading this it seems your one of the guys, they could have offered you a weekend at the bunny ranch and you would bitch about too many blonds.

This. Some people have better things to do (like shoot) than ship something back and forth and deal with 'excellent customer service'. The best customer service is a quality product that doesn't crap out.

OP I've been in your shoes and they'll never get another dime from me.

I my thoughts EXACTLY!!

If more people know how good their customer service is the less I look at them. Regardless of how good they speak of it.

More like we're just tired of seeing the same bullshit over and over where someone wants to complain and make a company out like they totally fucked up when in reality the company did everything they could but the buyer is a whiner and wants to make a scene in hopes they'll find other whiner friends. Most people with S&B, NF, USO, etc don't come on here and throw a fit when something breaks but instead just deal with it through the company. NF owners are beginning to turn into fanboys though and every time show up to peddle the wares thinking their glass is perfect. Again... Anyone expecting a scope that's 1/2 the price to perform at the exact same level as a scope that's double or even trying to make a valid comparison then is an idiot. And what's just as retarded is someone who comes on here and makes a remark at the "collective" then throws up the "attack me" victim card after they talked out their ass.

That all sounds great but why are we not comparing apples to apples here? What vortex scope are you referring to? The ops issue was with a pst line and hardly comparable to NF or their own razor line up.

Since we're talking about NF why are we not exclusively comparing it to the razor line simply because they are in the same price range and quality. The pst line is simply not. It's not designed to be as rugged and abuse proof as say the razor 5-20 or a NF of any line. I've seen about every manufacturers stuff fail. Had a USO fail, seen NF fail a few times, saw a razor fail. Doesn't mean much really. They are all good optics and generally do exactly as designed.

Really the fact that we can dial dope thousands of times and bang shit around, punish them with recoil it's truly amazing to me they do what they do.

Exfuckingzactly...

I can't say that I'm stuck on any brand of optic. I own 2 Razors (along with many other optics/brands) and have not had to use the Vortex customer service. I hope I never have to, but I've learned everything fails.....even the high end shit. Here are a few examples.

1.) Brand new S&B PMII failure......the magnification ring locked up on me half way thru day one of a two day match. I had to shoot the rest of the match on 12x magnification. I returned it to S&B. Customer was excellent. They contacted me to let me know the scope had failed due to Vario-lock (their term). It was repaired and sent back to me. I sold it as soon as I got it back.

2.) New Nightforce 5.5-22 failure...... This was only a couple of months ago. Received the scope and mounted it on a rifle. Was attempting to zero and noticed very clearly that the tracking was way off. On 22x when adjusted for 1 mil up, it only moved about .5 mil. When adjusted 3 mils, it only moved about 1.2 mils. When adjusted 5 mils, it moved about 2.6 mils. I called NF and them being the smug asshats that they are told me they "highly doubted that their scope had such gross tracking issues". They began to question my ability to shoot along with my knowledge of optics. When I wouldn't let them push me around, they began to question my mounting setup. They quickly moved past that when I told them it was on NF base with NF rings. I finally got a RMA number and returned it......guess what......it was fucked up!! They called to let me know it was being repaired and would be no charge to me. They repaired it in a timely manner and returned it quicky.

I personally do not care for any of the Vortex lines other than the Razor. I've looked thru and shot several PST's and I'm just not impressed with them.

My future optics purchases will continue to be Vortex Razors and March optics.

PST owners remind me of Honda owners on car forums... Excuse, excuse, excuse after excuse.

Tell me this, why does a phillipino scope cost the same as a Japanese scope with the same features? Oh I forgot, must be those wonderful $.01 "zero stop" shims you could make out of delrin for any scope. Seriously, look on average of what scopes made in the Phillipines cost compared to ones made in Japan. On average they're going to be 1/3-1/2 more. Vortex is right there with the Bushnell Elites that are made in Japan in price. Since we're now comparing apples to apples since they cost the same, how often do you see people posting that their Bushnell elites broke? Their customer service SUCKS compared to others, I e had do deal with them with a Millet. Yes I know, they break too, but look how little you see it.

I'll await the bullshit excuse of "that's because there's more PST's" or "that's because Bushnell owners just gets their scopes fixed". If that's the case how many PST's have taken a shit and nobody ever posted it on here? Is there some sort of a conspiracy that only people who have PST's break come and bitch?

I've never seen such hardcore fanboyism as there is with PST's PERIOD.

I will say, the OP was pretty dumb for not taking the FFP upgrade and cashing out on here.

Just think of how much market share Bushnell could take from Vortex if they'd come up with some $.01 "zero stop shims" for their Elite Tactical line?

While I prefer a 4-16x magnification range to the 3-12x range offered by Bushnell...currently owning two Vortex HS-Ts and having previously owned a 3-12x and 6-24x Elite 4200 Tactical, I'd take the current Bushnell FFP options over their FFP PST competition.

PST owners remind me of Honda owners on car forums... Excuse, excuse, excuse after excuse.

Tell me this, why does a phillipino scope cost the same as a Japanese scope with the same features? Oh I forgot, must be those wonderful $.01 "zero stop" shims you could make out of delrin for any scope. Seriously, look on average of what scopes made in the Phillipines cost compared to ones made in Japan. On average they're going to be 1/3-1/2 more. Vortex is right there with the Bushnell Elites that are made in Japan in price. Since we're now comparing apples to apples since they cost the same, how often do you see people posting that their Bushnell elites broke? Their customer service SUCKS compared to others, I e had do deal with them with a Millet. Yes I know, they break too, but look how little you see it.

I'll await the bullshit excuse of "that's because there's more PST's" or "that's because Bushnell owners just gets their scopes fixed". If that's the case how many PST's have taken a shit and nobody ever posted it on here? Is there some sort of a conspiracy that only people who have PST's break come and bitch?

I will say, the OP was pretty dumb for not taking the FFP upgrade and cashing out on here.

Where is the hardcore fanboyism? Your initial comparison between the PST and NXS is completely inadequate for the situation. You don't say "just get a NF and be done with it" when it's literally twice the amount of the current scope of discussion. If that were the case he should've been looking at a razor from the get go. The PST line might have some QC issues here and there but the failure rate apparently isn't that bad because people are still buying them, and while i've seen a few PST failure threads a couple of threads on an enthusiast forum doesn't qualify as the general consensus of all customers out there. There are obviously people with PSTs that have had zero issues. As is such with most products you have duds and a good amount that are fine, except in the case of countersniper they're pure crap.

I'm confused as to your statement about the razors. The razors are great scopes where do you get they fail all the time?

As i said before i completely understand the frustration but when you get a dud and a company handles it well as vortex did. It's completely pointless to go on a forum and make a rant towards vortex given the situation.

Last edited:
Where did a make a comment that Razors fall all the time, or a comment about Razors period?

When you said bushnell elite i guess i was thinking about the HDMR which is a more valid comparison towards a razor. Must've been wHere i got that, my mistake.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 'Hide
If I may ask one question please, did you contact the retailer that you purchased this from? Maybe they could have replaced the scope for you if they had one in stock. That should have been your first go to.
Which SFP scope is it? You say, "Viper 6-24-50 PST-SFP" but not whether it's the MOA or MRAD.
As a 'Hide member if it's a MRAD we have a SFP in stock and we would send one to Vortex to swap for your scope for you and when they get a shipment they'll just replace it to me. We're out of the SFP MOA's right now, however, we'd get you one from our next shipment if that gets it to you faster than waiting for Vortex to fill all backorders then get one to you.
Vortex customer service is pretty great. Speaking as a retailer that deals with MANY companies I've got experiance. It seems that their compensation/replacement offers ran above and beyond with the inventory they had to work with.
If we can assist you please feel free to contact us

Wonder if you have trouble shooting??? Did anyone else shoot the rifle and have the same issue? I mean, just to rule out the natural reasons of a new rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol... Are you the pot or the kettle? You bring up NF literally almost every time and also have excuses every time why you think everyone else's point is invalid. Now you're dipping in to the location of manufacturing as a justification. I'd explain to you how there are 5 primary glass manufacturers and location of assembly isn't really a factor as much as the construction itself, but I'm sure you think everything made in Japan or the US is top notch just because it was assembled there.

Welcome to the 'Hide
If I may ask one question please, did you contact the retailer that you purchased this from? Maybe they could have replaced the scope for you if they had one in stock. That should have been your first go to.
Which SFP scope is it? You say, "Viper 6-24-50 PST-SFP" but not whether it's the MOA or MRAD.
As a 'Hide member if it's a MRAD we have a SFP in stock and we would send one to Vortex to swap for your scope for you and when they get a shipment they'll just replace it to me. We're out of the SFP MOA's right now, however, we'd get you one from our next shipment if that gets it to you faster than waiting for Vortex to fill all backorders then get one to you.
Vortex customer service is pretty great. Speaking as a retailer that deals with MANY companies I've got experiance. It seems that their compensation/replacement offers ran above and beyond with the inventory they had to work with.

Cameraland NY fan boy here...That's why I like doing business with you Doug!

BTW, thanks for the great deal you gave me on that Zeiss 10-40 HT! I'm seeing details I've never even noticed before compared to my other binocs.

OP, can see why you'd be frustrated but the situation is what it is so you'll need to make the best of it. I had a absolutely ridiculous situation happen with a defective $600 brand new scope from another scope Co that took almost 2 months to resolve. If I were to do it over again I'd a immediately bought the next closest scope and used it instead of waiting around and missing matches and/or enjoying my sport.

Welcome to the 'Hide
Which SFP scope is it? You say, "Viper 6-24-50 PST-SFP" but not whether it's the MOA or MRADI 'll just replace it to me. We're out of the SFP MOA's right now, however, we'd get you one from our next shipment if that gets it to you faster than waiting for Vortex to fill all backorders then get one to you.

I love this place.

I don't think it is fair to get mad at the OP because he is upset at Vortex. I would be frustrated also. I might not go on a forum and rant, but I have a pretty good temper so I might have backed over it with my truck on the second go around. Nothing mass produced is perfect and Vortex did everything they should have, but I would still have been pissed. Now I know most everyone else is totally calm and cool when things go wrong, but there are a few of us that get pissed about the idea of boxing our shit up and sending it back and forth in hopes to hit the Filipino lottery and get something that works. I mentioned in my previous post that if you buy in that price bracket your odds of failure are increased, but that doesn't make you any less angry when it does.

I don't think it is fair to get mad at the OP because he is upset at Vortex. I would be frustrated also. I might not go on a forum and rant, but I have a pretty good temper so I might have backed over it with my truck on the second go around. Nothing mass produced is perfect and Vortex did everything they should have, but I would still have been pissed. Now I know most everyone else is totally calm and cool when things go wrong, but there are a few of us that get pissed about the idea of boxing our shit up and sending it back and forth in hopes to hit the Filipino lottery and get something that works. I mentioned in my previous post that if you buy in that price bracket your odds of failure are increased, but that doesn't make you any less angry when it does.

Yeah but if I wanted to hear endless complaining I'd go have a conversation with my wife. :(

Im guessing you forgot to fill out some of the required paperwork.. Here ya go.

Mechanical stuff breaks - Its how you deal with the situation that determines your character.
Yes you had a bad experience,
Yes you are more than welcome to voice your opinion here
Vortex CS is about as good as it gets but that wasnt good enough for you.
You picked up the wrong hobby if you cant deal with a little frustration with your equipment or your performance. Welcome to the real world.

hurt_feelings_report.jpg

Last edited:

Well said. I'd be pissed too but I think Vortex handled it well. They can't pay somebody for ammo costs every time a scope breaks. People should know going into any scope purchase that it could break regardless of brand, and that some scope are more prone to failure than others.

I would have taken the FFP upgrade offer, sold it, and moved on. I think that was a generous offer.

Get a refund, and then buy what you originally wanted in the 1st place.

Good advice... wish I would have taken it on some stuff I've purchased in the past.
Do it right the first time, saves you $$ and ass-pain in the future.

Was interested in Vortex a few months ago, did some reading. Found a bunch of threads/comments/etc about how great they are for the money, MIL/MIL, you name it. I also found a bunch of stuff about returns and mechanical issues but it was ok because they have a great warranty....
Kinda turned me away because who wants to use a warranty, ever? Not really a good selling point imo.

Get that damn NF so you never have to worry about it. just my two cents