• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Volquartsen Custom

Finris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2003
Is.
I have been looking at their pistols and 10-22 rifles. I would like to hear from someone who has or has fired owns these guns. I find that I'm a bit smitten with there 22 pistols and have nearly decided to make one my next perches. I have 2 10/22 rifles and would like to tinker with and or make them better shooters. Please let me know what you guys think..

https://www.volquartsen.com/

Not much help, but I have a 17HMR that I really like. They are the only option that I know of for a Semi Hummer. I haven't used many of their parts individually, though. Most of the people on RFC seem to prefer Kidd to Volquartsen. I do have a 10/22 with a Kidd trigger and barrel and it shoots like a dream.

How far are you wanting to take it? I just finished a build and used a little bit of both. It seems kidd has the best trigger, I love my kidd receiver and the carbon fiber volquartsen barrel is awesome. I went with the volq barrel because I wanted the carbon fiber tension barrel and since its a 10/17hm2 I used their specific bolt. The kidd bolts are a dang good value too.
20130411_192439_zps6c941640.jpg

I'm at the point of maybe thinking instead of playing with upgrading a standard Ruger to just go with full on Custom. I mean look at the rifles on the hide custom actions and go whole hog so to speak. I was looking at stuff to increase accuracy for 22 pistol and rifles. I may just break down and buy it all put together instead of a piece here and there. I just needed some reassurances that this is the way to go.

I may be going to KIDD for the trigger. I am a trigger whore. I like the really nice triggers and light. KIDD maybe what I'm doing for the rifle part and the other company for the pistol stuff. I might just buy the rifle straight and a couple of trigger packs for the 10/22s I have now.

If you've got the polymer trigger groups the drop in kit is really nice. These rifles are so easy to put together I wouldn't pay a company to do it. If I was going with a rifle Id go kidd, if I was going pistol it would be volquartsen but I think the volquartsen pistols are overrated for their price. Theyre just pretty IMO.

So a few people prefer kidd triggers to VC. I dont see it. I have tried both. The break on the VC is much crisper. The trigger pull is much more consistent as well when put to a gauge. I puchased a VC deluxe in 22 mag and havent looked back. Their machining work is quite impressive. The customer support is great also. I noticed a slight chip in the trigger group and they replaced it no questions asked. Very responsive as well on customizations.

So a few people prefer kidd triggers to VC. I dont see it. I have tried both. The break on the VC is much crisper. The trigger pull is much more consistent as well when put to a gauge. I puchased a VC deluxe in 22 mag and havent looked back. Their machining work is quite impressive. The customer support is great also. I noticed a slight chip in the trigger group and they replaced it no questions asked. Very responsive as well on customizations.

Any pics of the Deluxe? I really want a Volquartsen in 22 mag to match my 17 HMR.

Any pics of the Deluxe? I really want a Volquartsen in 22 mag to match my 17 HMR.

the only issue is when I bought it, VC was only machining a weaver rail into their receivers which is an issue for my QD mounts. I believe they recently started making them with picatinny rails.

20130417_110642.jpg
20130417_110800.jpg

How often do you have to clean your auto 17? Seems theyre real finicky about having a clean chamber. The general consensus on rfc is after every 50 rounds.

I own a VQ 10-22, and absolutely love it. My trigger is great and accuracy is outstanding. I have been looking at another model now.

I try to knock the crud out of the chamber after 100 rounds or so. If I go over that a bit, I don't really stress about it. Of course, if it fires out of battery, I may change my mind!

That makes me feel a little better then. I bought a boresnake just to keep with this gun so I dont have that problem. I'd love to have an auto 17hmr. My X17 is a blast, the only thing that would make it better is no bolt action.

I have a Volquartsen 22 WMR deluxe (?) 4 years old? Really a very accurate rifle with ANY ammo I used. Great machining,
Mine has fluted bbl. gray lam stock. Never was crazy about the trigger. I use a can on mine- 1/2 x 28 threaded.
I just ordered KIDD 2 stage trigger. Volquartsen screws bbl to receiver, fyi. Not like the v block ruger...can't see how you'd go wrong. Great customer service too.

Last edited:
I agree on the Volquartsen pistols. They look pretty cool, but for the price, I'll take a S&W 41 any day.

Chris

That is EXACTLY what I thought. ("Thought" is past tense though). I found a great deal on a full blown VQ and bought it. Took both my 41's and the VQ out to shoot and when I was done, I was thoroughly pissed off! After all the years shooting my 41's and out-shooting my friends with them...this VQ shoots circles around both my 41's.

No, I'm not selling either 41. I love the triggers and the finish, (both are from the late '50's-early '60's when S&W still took pride in the polish, fit, and finish of their handguns). They also feel better in my hand. I still love my 41's. However, we were down in Southern Oregon a week ago shooting small critters, and I got one shot kill on a Sage Rat at 88 yards (varified using Leica 1600-B LRF). In all fairness, I had put a scope on it, which isn't a fair comparison because these old 41's still have the factory sights. Still, I don't know if the 41 would've made that shot.

Also, out here in the Pacific NW, a used 41 is going to cost every bit as much as a used full blown VQ will, maybe more.

I have a VQ Superlite in 17HMR and it's amazing. I put one Rock Chuck and a LOT of Sage Rats down with it. After asking myself, "what could be better than this rifle?" Well, the answer would be "two"...another one just like it. (Currently saving pennies....also have a left nut for sale if anyone is interested).

I believe that a person needs to shoot one, to see for thereselves. Great workmanship and quality gun. A gun to be handed down. You can get more tied up in tricking out a ruger 10-22 and still not have a Volquartsen.

So what does that make mine, its got a volq bolt and barrel with a kidd receiver and trigger kit?

Best of both worlds in my opinion.

I believe that a person needs to shoot one, to see for thereselves. Great workmanship and quality gun. A gun to be handed down. You can get more tied up in tricking out a ruger 10-22 and still not have a Volquartsen.

This. Plus the built up parts guns are never worth as much as you have in them. I broke down and bought a VQ Superlight 22LR a couple years ago and it has exceeded my expectations in all regards. It likes pretty much everything I feed it but it is silly accurate with Winchester subsonics. I'd never sell mine.

VolQ

I have a superlite in .17HMR. and couldn't be happier. great trigger and exceptional build quality. I recently acquired a PWS Tundra in .22 with a Biathalon Action. Take a look at these,they too are quite impressive.

Attachments

• pws1.jpg
    pws1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 29
  • pws2.jpg
    pws2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 20
  • pws3.jpg
    pws3.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 24
Hopefully I will be able to tell you about their rifles very soon. My Fusion take down is nearly at 13 months of wait time and counting. Was told next week.. Yeah. Sure.

My VQ trigger and skeletonized bolt on my integrally suppressed Ruger Mk III are the tits though.

How far are you wanting to take it? I just finished a build and used a little bit of both. It seems kidd has the best trigger, I love my kidd receiver and the carbon fiber volquartsen barrel is awesome. I went with the volq barrel because I wanted the carbon fiber tension barrel and since its a 10/17hm2 I used their specific bolt. The kidd bolts are a dang good value too.
20130411_192439_zps6c941640.jpg

That's a nice 10/22 you've got there!

This. Plus the built up parts guns are never worth as much as you have in them. I broke down and bought a VQ Superlight 22LR a couple years ago and it has exceeded my expectations in all regards. It likes pretty much everything I feed it but it is silly accurate with Winchester subsonics. I'd never sell mine.

I've been thinking of doing a 10/22 target rifle and don't know if I should go full build or not. I like the idea of having it all done right from the start. This is helpful, thanks.

I guess at some point I'm going to have to make a decision on these and start saving my penny's as well. I still have some details to look at. If you have one and like it post it. I'm up for looking at all things at this point. OCD on the research department.

FINRIS--

Here are two of my Volquartsens. They are world class machines. The top barrel is 10" long. The top is dedicated to 25 yard bench rest shooting. When I do my part, the 10" bbl/Burris scope combination will certainly shoulder it's share and the result is 5 round groups like seen below until I fall down on my part.

UPR-LOWR.JPG

The upper barrel has Burris Signature Select 8-32x32 mounted. This scope was modified at the Burris factory by decoupling the objective. This let me focus at 25 yards.
A3.JPG

The lower barrel is 12" long. It is dedicated to 100 yard work and performs it well with another Burris 8-32x32 scope atop.
3ROUNDS.JPG

My off-hand plinker is a Volquartsen Deluxe with a Bushnell Holosight. Using the Holosight is like cheating. I'll add a picture of it and my Volquartsen .357 magnum tomorrow.

--seal killer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 18