• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex 6-24x on 308 AR out of elevation !

alpha6164

Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Just got my vortex 6-24x and installed on my POF 308 AR. I used NF ultralight rings which are 1.375" which is standard for AR height. Went to range and zeroed the scope this morning and once I zero I only have 14 MOA of elevation left until the turret taps out ? I used exact same height rings on another AR with NF 5-22x scope and had 40 MOA still left after zeroing at. 100yards. All inputs appreciate.

I wonder if the rings are out of spec or not mounted right. Try swapping them around and see if your zero drops.

Vortex 6-24x on 308 AR out of elevation !

Damn, I was really trying to save some weight in other areas since the Ultralight rings are only 3.5 oz vs much heavier unimounts.

Well you can keep it the same and be able to dial to 400+ yards and hold over after that. PST's are great scopes for the money, but they are limited in adjustment without a +20 MOA (or more) base.

I was searching and see a bunch of posts by people shimming under the rear scope ring with soda cans to raise the base? Anyone has done that hear ?

I was searching and see a bunch of posts by people shimming under the rear scope ring with soda cans to raise the base? Anyone has done that hear ?

Just do it right, and get a 20 MOA base. You have atleast a couple grand in your setup, and you want t0 "fix it" with a soda can! doesn't make much sense from a practical standpoint.

Just do it right, and get a 20 MOA base. You have atleast a couple grand in your setup, and you want t0 "fix it" with a soda can! doesn't make much sense from a practical standpoint.

I ain't putting any soda cans on my rig, that's for sure! lol :D

Just got my vortex 6-24x and installed on my POF 308 AR. I used NF ultralight rings which are 1.375" which is standard for AR height. Went to range and zeroed the scope this morning and once I zero I only have 14 MOA of elevation left until the turret taps out ? I used exact same height rings on another AR with NF 5-22x scope and had 40 MOA still left after zeroing at. 100yards. All inputs appreciate.

Something's "out". 65 mins total means you should have 30+ available for "ups", and you've got half of that. Go with the 20 minute base as suggested. Ring height has nothing to do with this issue.

Last edited:
I've got a 6-24x50 PST on a custom 223 AI rig, with an EGW 20 MOA sloped base. First time I ran it in a LR steel match with Berger 90VLDs, I ran out of elevation (at 53.5 MOA IIRC) while dialing up from 1300 to 1400yds. I needed 5 MOA more, so held over using the 5 MOA hashmark on the reticle, and got the hit at 1400. Don't screw around with shims - either get a sloped base, or buy a set of Burris rings with the offset inserts.