• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex choice for 700 AAC, 20"

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
So, any thoughts or other suggestions on this choice for the 20" 700 AAC? I wanted external adjustments, like the "zero stop" mil line without breaking the bank. Any expected quality issues? I know they have a warranty but I don't want to have to use it. Think I will keep it simple in a sense and use the NF Direct Mount in medium height which includes the 20 moa. I have NF's now, just can't spend the coin on one now for this.

Distance to 1k, this will be my "beater gun"

What do you think .885 or 1" with 44 mm obj and stock pack?

Mark

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 Rifle Scope EBR-1 PST-210S1-M SALE - EuroOptic.com

http://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-direct-mount-100-20-moa-rem-700-short-action.aspx

Last edited:
Mark,

I'm running a PST 6x24 FFP on top of a DPMS LR-308 and have 2k rounds through it. I initially heard about zero creep in the Vortex's scopes, but have not seen it. Last week I did a 4 & 1/8 inch group at 935 with the rig.
At that range, I had 8.3 mils dialed into it. Even though I was .8 mils low due to following JP Ballistic calculator, the next group was spot on.

I can't say enough about Vortex for the price. I've shot through NF scopes and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the glass. As a side note, I did put a NF Unimount 20MOA scope mount on the rig.
Didn't want to be cheap w/ the mount.

Have fun making the decision.
David

Rings lower then 0.885" will work with a 44 mm objective. I have a Mk4 6.5-20x50 in Badger "std", 0823" high, on a 20 MOA base mounted on a 700 SPS-T . Plenty of clearance for the BC caps.

OFG

David/OFG, Thanks for the info. I was trying to remember, I think I had NF lows on an old 700 with 40mm, just couldn't remember. I like the info on glass and zero retention, sounds great.

Mark

I've got two HS-T 4-16x44s on their way to compare with and possibly replace my two HS 5-15x44 MidwayUSA scopes, which are very good in their own right (especially at pricepoint).

Do you need an FFP or SFP reticle? Vortex has several choices to fit your rifle.

As far as SFP scopes go:

HS-T 4-16x44 w/ non-illum MRAD reticle;
PST 2.5-10x44 w/ illum MRAD or MOA reticle;
PST 4-16x50 w/ illum MRAD or MOA reticle;
PST 6-24x50 w/ illum MRAD or MOA reticle.

As far as FFP scopes go:

PST 2.5-10x32 w/ illum MRAD or MOA reticle;
PST 4-16x50 w/ illum MRAD or MOA reticle;
PST 6-24x50 w/ illum MRAD or MOA reticle.

Any of the above scopes can be found new for $559-949 "street price" depending
on which model and features you want. Vortex has come a long way in the last
few years.

Nice! I may take a second look at the 4-16. Looks like the .885 will work. I'm used to the 2nd FP, so think I will stay with them.

The second focal plane model is cheaper too if thats what you want. The one pictured above is ffp. for $900. I forget how much cheaper, I want to say the 2nd FP is 7 or 800

I think I will stay with the 2nd FP and the 2.5-10, want that lower power range. and pricing. Although old school, and a bit higher, I had did have at one point a Leupold M3 3.5-10, that would be perfect for this rifle.

The newer (and better) Vortex 2.5-10x32 is FFP only.
I believe the older 2.5-10-44 is SFP, but it trails the x32 optically by a good bit, so I'm told.

Joe

If you can forgo illumination and zero stop in your SFP optic, I recommend the Sightron 3.5-10x44.
Fantastic glass for the money, nice turrets, lifetime warranty.

Joe

Mark5pt56,

Which version of the PST did you end up with - the 2.5-10x32(FFP), or the 2.5-10x44(SFP)?
Also, which reticle did you get - MOA or MRAD? Just curious.

SFP, 2.5-10x44 MRAD, found in a shop in Michigan, took all day to find.

I have the same rifle with a 20 MOA Warne base and medium Warne rings. I put a vortex viper PST 6-24x50 and have a great fit

I'm running a EGW 20 MOA base with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 with Weaver tactical Low Rings on my AAC-SD and love it!

You can use Badger standard height (.823") on up to a 50mm objective with a 20 MOA base. Here's a 700 AAC-SD with a Seekins 20 MOA base(really low) and the aforementioned combo.

24bqjqc.jpg