• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex crossfire 6-24x50 AO vs Bushnell 3200 10x40

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
So I've been looking at the following scopes:

Vortex Crossfire Series 6-24x50mm AO Riflescope
Mil-Dot Reticle, Matte Finish

Bushnell 3200 10x40 Tactical.

Both have trunion adjustments it's just that the Vortex has covers for theirs and they are a bit smaller. Does anyone have experience with both these scopes? I just want to make an informed decision.

Thanks,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

Re: Vortex crossfire 6-24x50 AO vs Bushnell 3200 10x40

No experience with Vortex. I do have a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 and it's a great piece of glass for less than $200. There are no covers on the turrets and the clicks are very good.

I have the Vortex Crossfire on a .223 and its worked great for me. The clicks are a little light, but nothing that you cant deal with, plus they have covers. Ive heard good and bad things about the crossfire, but if it breaks you have a great warranty from a great company.

Plus the Crossfire is on sale for $99 right now!!

Merritt - note just below this section is an "Optics" subforum where this type of thread should go. You'll probabaly get better results/response there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Merritt - note just below this section is an "Optics" subforum where this type of thread should go. You'll probabaly get better results/response there. </div></div>

Yeah I realized that right after I posted. I would like to give the Vortex a try but the 50mm front is kinda scary. I would rather keep my scope mounted lower. If it came in a 42 or 44 I'd feel better about it. I'm not sure if I should be that worried about it but I guess I am.

Thanks,
Merritt

I emailed Vortex, they are all SE asian made, heres what they replied with to origin:

CHINA
entry level spotting scopes
mid-priced spotting scopes
entry level riflescopes

PHILIPPINES
mid-level riflescopes
high-end riflescopes

JAPAN
high-end spotting scopes
very high-end riflescopes

Might be good scopes, but theyre not US made.

Thanks for the background. I ended up being able to pick up a used 6-24x50 Crossfire for a very good price so I picked it up. So far the clarity is awesome. It didn't come with an owner's manual so shooting today was interesting while I was trying to figure it out. I finally got an online owner's manual after the fact so now that I have a better handle on it my next shooting session should be much better.

I'll keep you guys posted once I switch my stock and get to a known distance range.

Thanks,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the background. I ended up being able to pick up a used 6-24x50 Crossfire for a very good price so I picked it up. So far the clarity is awesome. It didn't come with an owner's manual so shooting today was interesting while I was trying to figure it out. I finally got an online owner's manual after the fact so now that I have a better handle on it my next shooting session should be much better.

I'll keep you guys posted once I switch my stock and get to a known distance range.

Thanks,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet. </div></div>

I placed the Vortex on my 7mm remington mag and it holds zero perfect. For $100 I don't know of a better scope on the market. I don't understand why the owners manual would have been an issue to have or not to have? Are you new to Mil-Dot? The scope is a great deal and if anyone wants one go through SWFA here on the hide!

I was unaware of what magnification the mildots are calibrated to. I tried min. and max magnification but I now know that 14x is the base. Also I needed to reset the trunions since I have a 20moa base.

Got it squared away now and I'm kinda upset I basically wasted ammo trying to figure it out.

Oh well.

Thanks,
Merritt

Has anyone used this on a 300 WM? I am looking for a decent scope and the budget is just about broke. I know the 7mmRM will be slightly close in recoil, but was just wondering if it will take the 300WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was unaware of what magnification the mildots are calibrated to. I tried min. and max magnification but I now know that 14x is the base. Also I needed to reset the trunions since I have a 20moa base.

Got it squared away now and I'm kinda upset I basically wasted ammo trying to figure it out.

Oh well.

Thanks,
Merritt </div></div>

It was my understanding that you mil-dot range at 10 power. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying or the scope is a FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was unaware of what magnification the mildots are calibrated to. I tried min. and max magnification but I now know that 14x is the base. Also I needed to reset the trunions since I have a 20moa base.

Oh well.

Thanks,
Merritt </div></div>

It was my understanding that you mil-dot range at 10 power. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying or the scope is a FFP. </div></div>

All of our SFP mil-dots are set to range true at 14X except for the new 6-24 PST SFP. It really depends on where the manufacture sets it.

Scott

Good info, thanks

I've been looking for just this info.

How much internal adjustment does the Vortex Crossfire have?

I've got the 1 inch version and used it on a 300 WSM without any issues. The clicks are a bit "approximate" but they are repeatable. For the money, I can't think of a better buy than one of these.

Thanks

How much internal adjustment does the 6-24x50 mil-dot with a 1 inch tube have?

Does this have the same glass as the 30mm version?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks

How much internal adjustment does the 6-24x50 mil-dot with a 1 inch tube have?

Does this have the same glass as the 30mm version?

</div></div>Yes it does have the same glass ,but it is a little different design to adjust for the different size tubes. The one inch has 50 moa of travel.

Scott

i have one on a 300 wm, until i decide what scope to get. i have put between 100 to 150 rds thru it so far. it works great, repeatable, and it is very clear...all that for 99.95!