• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Defender caps on the SWFA 5-20x50. Success?

Boonie

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2018
I was looking for decent lens caps for the SWFA 5-20x50 that wasn't going to break the bank. I like the Defenders, so I cross referenced the Vortex Defender E-10 and O-50. The E-10 is slightly on the loose side. I plan to use a piece of black heat-shrink (under) or a silicone ring band (over) to snug it up. The O-50 should work perfectly.

I didn't find anything of mention if someone may have tried the same. I doubt I'm the first to try these caps on this scope.

Has anyone else went the route I'm doing? My caps are on the way.

Have not tried it. Been running BC. They're fine for my needs.

So you're saying you'll put a piece of heat shrink on your scope? Do you think that could cause any long-term cosmetic issues? I do like the Vortex caps.

Last edited:
Dave at Vortex here,

Best thing to use is 3M #2228 self sealing tape. I have use this on my ice climbing tools as well for many years and it's always worked great. It seals awesome, has some stretch, holds really well to the scope and leaves no residue when removed. Obviously, I have used it in really cold conditions on the aluminum handle on my ice tools. I've used it on my scope in very hot conditions as well and it's worked great in both.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Mo...26907296&sr=8-6&keywords=3m+self+sealing+tape

If you call our customer service they should send you a strip to try out. 1-800-426-0048

Dave

The self-sealing tape can be a bit thick, I have successfully used plain old electrical tape to shim up stuff. Pull tight (not so hard it deforms, just tight) on install and only buy 3M, and it will be rigid and not leave much residue when removed.

I used it to shim an objective-attached clipon (perfectly; did not shift about etc), and when I changed it out a few years later for a rail mount, came off clean.