• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Diamondback Angled Spotter

KingE

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
ATX
looking for a spotter and came across this deal in my inbox this morning

GEARHOG | 50% - 70% off your favorite outdoors, hunting and fishing gear

anything good/bad about this. What would be similar level spotting scopes?

I shoot 308 out to 750 steel targets and looking for a mid level spotter. Currently running a Vortex Viper HS 4-15x44 (Midway special) scope which is clear but waiting for the new PST 6-24x50 FFP to become available to why I don't want to spend too much if I may not need it down the road.

thoughts?

I have a Vortex Nomad spotter which is very similar in features but has a lighter weight shell. I think it performs the best I've ever seen (not that I am any great reference in such things) and I'm keeping it. It handles .22cal bullet holes very well at 250yd.

On the cons side; I regret getting the angled configuration, since most of my shooting is done from a bench, and the angled shape does not allow the scope to be mounted at bench level without requiring a substantial lift of the head from the rifle in order to engage the spotting scope. My next spotter will be a straight one, and the angled one will use a full size tripod and be reserved for use by a spectator/spotter. In that configuration, it should also be a good choice for bird watching and novice astronomical observation.

Greg

Last edited:
We have a Nomad. It works fine in punching paper, but does not the resolution or field of view to work well in spotting for long range. You can see the hits, but hard to see the misses.

Picked up a Razor 85mm from here on the Hide. :)