• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Gen II for PRS. Any benefit in 3-18 vs 4.5-27?

Danattherock

Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Planning to buy one soon. Im always at 10-15x so either seems a viable option. Cant find many folks with 3-18. Wondering if there is any benefit to the 3-18. For example brightness, or a more forgiving eye box, etc. Any reason to chose it over the 4.5-27? Most expensive scope I will have bought, so seeking some guidance. Thanks for any suggestion.

Dan
    NC

I was out shooting my Ruger Precision Rifle today in 6.5 Creedmoor. My scope is the Vortex 4.5-27 Razor HD Gen II with the EBR-2C mil-rad reticle. That is my favorite reticle......having an open center just seems to help my accuracy. And as far as the magnification goes, I have always subscribed to the theory that it is better to need it and not have it than to need it and not have it..

Reactions: Danattherock
    I couldn't tell any difference between the two really, but you only give up 1.5 power on the low end to gain 9x on the top end with the 4.5-27. That trade off makes it a pretty easy choice if the budget allows for it.

other than price, there is no advantage. you will never be at 3x in a PRS comp. usually I am in the 10-15x range for long range stuff, but some COF has a cold bore or very small tgt at 100 and the higher mag comes in handy there.

I run a 3-18, and it hasn't held me back in local or PRS comps. The excellent clarity gives it the edge it needs @18x to compete with other higher mags scopes IMHO. I have a 4.5-27x as well, and mounted on another rifle, I have run it in one of the local matches. 6 in one hand, one half dozen in the other; both work well and I saw no real advantage in the 27x version over the 18x version for matches. I could see dot drills giving an edge to the higher mag, but that's about it...

Although not the Razor, I have an XRS with 30x mag and I never seem to use anything over 18 or 20 in a match. It takes too long to find the target at the high end of magnification.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I've had both. Currently using the 4.5-27 but shot the 3-18 just as well. Actually I think you have a little wider field of view with the smaller one. The biggest reason I switched up to the bigger one is the reticle on the gen II is so thin I was having a hard time seeing it. At the higher magnification the reticle is thicker. My eyesight is getting worse and most people don't have this problem. As you said, most PRS style shooting is done under 15 power. It occasionally is nice to crank up to 27 for identification of targets but otherwise the higher power isn't necessary. Both scopes are clear up to their highest magnification so you don't have to dial back to get a clear picture. Great scopes and I'm probably the only shooter that's ever said this but I wish the reticle was a little thicker.

I like my 4.5-27x gen2 for working up loads, 27 power you can see holes in paper well over 200yds. Do I use 27x in matches, no, but I'm glad I have it.

Reactions: Danattherock
    Getting one scope then get the 4.5-27x. You won't miss the 1.5x difference on the bottom but you will use the higher power more. I have both and have used both in matches but if I had to choose one for a match scope it would be the 4.5-27x with the 2C.