• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Gen II Razor 3-18

kansas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2012
Kansas
Anyone have one and using it? Seeing some reviews on its big brother but haven't heard much on this one yet.

I messed with one today. Very nice and compact scope. It didn't just wow me in any one area, but there was nothing to criticize about it either. I am not one to typically gripe about weight, and looking at spec sheets it doesn't look like it weighs much more than other scopes in its class, but handling it made me question if they incorporated a lead lining in the design.

Last edited:
Mike what are you using it for? Steel long range or paper? Eye box good? Do you feel like the 18 power top end is enough?

I've been wondering the same thing. I have a 4.5-27 on order for a .308, but I keep eyeing the 3-18 for my .223 5r. I see the 3-18 in stock all over the place, even Amazon, so the instant gratification is a huge plus. It's hard to justify the 3-18 when you can get an extra 9x on the top end for a couple extra bucks especially if you don't really need the extra FOV on the bottom end. So a report on the 3-18 would definitely make it an easier decision.

This will be going on a .260 gun for shooting steel at 400-1400 yards and my choices were the Nightforce F1, Vortex Gen I Razor, Votex Gen II 3-18 or Vortex Gen II 4.5-27. I realize the big boy is just a few hundred bucks more but the fact is that the only time I'm above 10 power is for the very farthest targets and punching paper. Most of the time I'm at 8-10 power for the larger field of view search for the target. I've got the Gen I and like it a lot but the Gen II was very enticing.

Compared to the Gen I you are only giving up a little to end magnification.

I can let you know in about 2 to 5 months, on the waiting list direct from Vortex, rings and a switch view coming as welĺ. Mine will be going on a custom Savage PTA action in.260 Rem.

Those Gen 2 razors are sharp! I just can't get over the weight. The Leupy MK6 3-18 is listed at 24 oz and I believe an F1 NF is around 30oz. With the Razor tipping the scales at 460z it's just not for me. If I was just going to be prone shooting it wouldn't be an issue but I'm primarily a hunter so weight is a factor. They look super sharp and from everything I've heard they're really nice. I wish Vortex would come out with a lighter line of the Razor, 30mm, MIL/MIL similar to a Bushy LRHS.

Hey mike1113, what type and size caps do you have on the scope?

I guess it all depends on what you're going to use it for. I just got one in MOA that's going to be mounted on my work rifle. Still waiting on a Spuhr mount so I can mount the damn thing. I've only gotten to play with it a little and fingered the hell out it. I think it's perfect for what I'm going to need it for.

Last edited:
Hopefully the popularity of the Gen IIs will drive down the Gen I's price . I'd buy one new for what I could get used + a hundred $$ or so !

Hopefully the popularity of the Gen IIs will drive down the Gen I's price . I'd buy one new for what I could get used + a hundred $$ or so !

Already has. If you're looking for a gen I give rangerwalker71 a pm.

I've got a gen I on my 308 and still like it. It was the reason I stayed vortex instead of trying a NF. I thought long and hard about a F1 but with this scope I can have a new one with more power for nearly the price of a used F1. The F1 has an awesome reputation so guess I'll see how well this one holds up.

Yea dude, I honestly couldn't believe it. I had to read it like 20 times and then verify it actually was Mile High and not some scam account. I almost felt guilty...but not really.

No offense to owners of this optic, but I went up to Mile High and spent a half hour with this scope comparing it to the NF, Leuy MK 6, S&B ultra short, Steiner's 3-15, even the bushnell HDMR. people say the bushnell is a pig? Holy shit. I nearly hyper extended my arm taking this thing off the counter. It sunk so deep in the sand bag I had to go back in and get a full size just to make sure it wasn't bottoming out. You could literally run two Mark 6's and still be under the weight of a single 3-18 gen II. That's fucking crazy. It doesnt do anything any other scope in its mag range won't do. It just does so at twice the weight.

I was seriously considering one until finally getting a looksie at the 4.5-27 (only 2 oz heavier). With an optic of that magnification range and the rifles I would run it on, I find the weight a lot easier to justify. But why the the 3-18 is just as heavy is beyond me.

Good glass though, and a good reticle too..

I'm sorry.... I have to say this....

Man the fuck up. Jesus Christ, it isn't a 200 pound weight you have to carry 40 miles through thick jungle.

All this bitching and moaning about a couple ounces.... Quit being a bitch. Go to the gym. Lift some weights. Problem solved.

Half you fuckers bitching about weight only carry your rifle from the car to the bench anyway. So who the fuck cares?

Posted Via Glade Plug In.

This is going to be a hefty scope for sure and I'm sure when I have to shoot offhand I'm going to cuss it but hopefully built that heavy it's as tough as it is heavy. This is my fourth Vortex and have been pleased with my Gen 1 Razor and my 1-6 Razor on my 3gun rifle so I just couldn't say no to a Gen II. I just think that the Razor is a hell of a buy. A lot of glass for the money.

I do plenty of curls for the girls at the gym, so a 3lbs scope isn't going to break my back. It'll definitely make some panties wet when I shoot offhand like a boss.

Man the fuck up. Jesus Christ, it isn't a 200 pound weight you have to carry 40 miles through thick jungle.

All this bitching and moaning about a couple ounces.... Quit being a bitch. Go to the gym. Lift some weights. Problem solved.

Half you fuckers bitching about weight only carry your rifle from the car to the bench anyway. So who the fuck cares?

Haha! I've been thinking this for months

Hahaha! Haha. Haha... Ha.. Aw man, thanks so much for the fan-fucking-tastic advice. You're right, it makes so much sense to carry 200% of the weight I need to have for no fucking reason, just because. Maybe if I was 5'3" 145 I'd find carrying around insane amounts of weight justifiable in an effort to show myself how fucking tough I am cause I can do stupid shit.

That really is a great idea though. I'm going to find a a way to mount both of my MK 6s on my rifle. Why? Well shit, that'll clearly be twice as good! Maybe I'll set one at 5x and one at 16x, then I'll be a true double threat. No wait, I'll set them at the same mag and use them as bino's/slash super operator sniper scopes! Yes! But I'll make sure and carry another set of binos around to just to prove to the trees, grass and birds and shit that I'm a tough motherfucker.

Ohhhh wait, now I remember. Im so used to carrying around a set of balls that weigh 200% of yours that I almost forgot to incorporate that aspect. Welp, looks like I'm shit out of luck. But still, great thought process you have there my man...

Might you fit this description?

Hey, lookie there! You do!

Hahaha! Haha. Haha... Ha.. Aw man, thanks so much for the fan-fucking-tastic advice. You're right, it makes so much sense to carry 200% of the weight I need to have for no fucking reason, just because. Maybe if I was 5'3" 145 I'd find carrying around insane amounts of weight justifiable in an effort to show myself how fucking tough I am cause I can do stupid shit.

That really is a great idea though. I'm going to find a a way to mount both of my MK 6s on my rifle. Why? Well shit, that'll clearly be twice as good! Maybe I'll set one at 5x and one at 16x, then I'll be a true double threat. No wait, I'll set them at the same mag and use them as bino's/slash super operator sniper scopes! Yes! But I'll make sure and carry another set of binos around to just to prove to the trees, grass and birds and shit that I'm a tough motherfucker.

Ohhhh wait, now I remember. Im so used to carrying around a set of balls that weigh 200% of yours that I almost forgot to incorporate that aspect. Welp, looks like I'm shit out of luck. But still, great thought process you have there my man...

Might you fit this description?

Hey, lookie there! You do!
Oh shit... Someone get this man a Midol for his man cramps and an Advil for his butthurt.

I think I struck a nerve.....

Nah brother, a nut sack this size requires something way stronger than Advil.

Are you really 5'3". Damn good guess...

Jesterstark45120d4a58a3cc.jpg

Attachments

• Jesterstark45120d4a58a3cc.jpg
    Jesterstark45120d4a58a3cc.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 27
Let's just settle it at this. The weight is tolerable for some and not for others. If a couple of ounces is worth $1500 more. Then go buy a $3500+ scope. It's just preference. I have been a vortex fan since I put the first one I bought that's why I bought it cause they make a good product and stand behind it. It's just preference that's all. Leave your feelings at the door. Put your big boy pants on while reading these threads. Like monchichi says they have a lighter tactical pink one coming out soon, and I think I read that they include a box of tampons and a madesengal douche also!!!!

Last edited:
23.6 oz vs 46.5 oz. Little more than a couple ounces. When I want to lift, I go to the gym. I don't buy a scope to use for curls at the house. There's a shit ton of little man/fat fuck syndrome around here

Weight matters when balance or mountain humping is in play. Who's putting the new Razor II on a mountain goat rifle build? Who's going to run it for Competition Dynamic's Sniper Adventure Challenge in two weeks or even next year and ruck that fucker 25+ miles in a timed competition (and isn't a Vortex sponsored shooter)? I didn't think so...

Sure, the guys already rocking 26" MTU barrels on a sniper fill A4 that never sees much more than a trip from the trunk to covered firing line can't bitch about weight, but there's certainly those out there that have a significant concern and justification in keeping a rifle light. Ever hear the phrase "pack light, freeze at night"? How about the saying "ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain"? There's a reason those sayings exist because some shooters ruck up and down mountains, and don't want a scope that adds that much more weight in comparison to others with similar capability.

The Razor II pair fills a nice void in the need for high performing - sub $3k bracket, but lets not kid ourselves that weight doesn't matter. I don't care who you are, everyone is looking to shed weight at that twenty mile mark. The older I get, the fewer miles that mark gets... Like my knees are telling me that's at five right now.

Well this came in the mail yesterday and looks great. As far as the weight goes, yeah it's not a feather weight by any means but that's not a deal breaker for me. It feels substantial to me. Like I said earlier, I hope that the extra weight translates into a more robust scope. I'm too old for the run and gun competitions that some of you younger guys are out there doing. Humping over several miles on a timed event with rifle and gear is just not a game I'm capable of playing. The only time the weight will be a problem in the competitions that I'm involved in will be shooting offhand, and frankly my rifle wasn't built for that anyway so...

Now to ask my wife that loaded question "Does this scope make my butt look big?"

So, are you going to have the .260 up and running by the Sept match? Did I forget to tell you the match will be all offhand, upside down, behind your back, one-handed, etc. JK.
Congrats on the new scope, I'm anxious to look through it.

No .260 for September. Dennis gets the parts at the September match. It'll be next year's match before I get to shoot .260 with you guys. See you in September.

Guys are bustin balls when guys complain about the weight of the new G2s. I do think the optic is better suited to certain platforms vs others. As an example, I bought a V HD G2 3-18X50 to put on my Surgeon 20" .308. As much as I loved the scope it just didn't feel right on the short gun. Felt like I was losing the benefit of a shorter / lighter rifle (your adding almost 3lbs to a 8.8lb rifle). I moved the heavy hottie to my 26" GAP 6Creed and what a difference! Balance was great and didn't notice the weight nearly as much as when on the short surgeon.

I had a V HD G1 on my 6Creed before mounting the G2. Had the opportunity to compare them side by side. All I can say is that IMHO the G2 is a significant step up over the G1. Glass is sharper, colors really pop, eye box is better, FOV is better, shorter turrets, slimmer profile, etc. Other than the weight and a pretty thin reticle @ 3x (won't use it there) I can't say anything negative about the new Vortex. Even 18x vs 20x at max magnification I don't think I'm giving anything up. I don't like 56mm objectives and rarely shot at 20x so the G2 3-18x50 should do everything I need for an excellent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk