• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Glass Quality Comparison?

WeeHooker

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2021
MA
Hi All , I'm trying to make sense of the Vortex Scope line up. In particular , where the glass quality changes across models. Seems if the info is available, Vortex has done a good job of hiding it from my searches. I'm wondering if there is a chart somewhere that compares model glass ( and or features) . I'd really like to see the deltas in the Diamondback, Venom, Strike Eagle, PST G2, etc.

SE or PST G2
Don’t bother with the others mentioned.
SE is nice and can be found frequently in the PX for $600
Thanks for the input. I suspect your exactly right right but what I'm looking for is something from Vortex that shows the SE has better glass than a Venom... or that the PST G2 is/ isn't an upgrade over the SE. I'm not anywhere where I can look though these myself. It seems like basic info that should be published somewhere unless they are deliberately hiding it..
p.s. I do have an email to Vortex with this request BTW.

Agree with @db2000 ... Spend your money on the SE, or jump up to the Razor. IMO, the extra price of the PST G2 is not worth it over the Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C. Even though the SE is built in China, it (mine) has pretty decent glass in it for a $799 MSRP scope.

That said, you can get a better ($1,499 MSRP) Philippines-built scope with Japanese glass on sale right now, for less than a SE...With the same amazing warranty, and the company is based out of Greely, CO. I just bought 2 of these, and compared them side-by-side with my SE 5-25x56, and while the glass in the SE isn't bad, the Burris definitely has better glass (sharper & clearer, with no CA). And honestly, mechanically, the Burris is far superior and feels way more solid. If you've handled both, you'll see what i'm talking about.

This is the MSRP right off of Burris' website... (highlighted by the blue box)

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 7.08.29 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: WeeHooker
The Vortex Razor series is built at the factory in Wisconsin.

• Haha
Reactions: Hickswr
The Vortex Razor series is built at the factory in Wisconsin.
Incorrect... Only the Razor AMG model is built entirely in America (Wisconsin). "AMG" stands for American Made Glass.

The rest of the Razor lines are built by LOW (Light Optical Works) in Japan. The same folks that build the new Zeiss LRP S3, Conquest V4, and glass for Nightforce, Burris, and MANY other companies.

Incorrect... Only the Razor AMG model is built entirely in America (Wisconsin). "AMG" stands for American Made Glass.

The rest of the Razor lines are built by LOW (Light Optical Works) in Japan. The same folks that build the new Zeiss LRP S3, Conquest V4, and glass for Nightforce, Burris, and MANY other companies.
Oh, okay. Sorry about the inaccuracy and thanks for clarifying that.

Reactions: SDBguy95 and FuhQ
No big deal, I just wanted to make sure that if someone stumbles upon this thread in the future, they get the correct info. 👍🏼
If it helps any, I butchered some lyrics in another thread, by accident. Which I am good at.

Other times, I butcher lyrics on purpose. Just recently, I messed up the chorus of the song "Stitches" by Shawn Mendes.

"When I'm without your pisses
I'll have dry britches..."

• Haha
Reactions: LRRPF52 and FuhQ
Strike Eagle over PST gen 2 any day for me. better reticle and features for less money. that's what happens when a new generation comes out

i am very curious how the hopefully eventual PST Gen 3 does at $1,000-$1,500 street price. especially if it moves to LOW

Strike Eagle over PST gen 2 any day for me. better reticle and features for less money. that's what happens when a new generation comes out

i am very curious how the hopefully eventual PST Gen 3 does at $1,000-$1,500 street price. especially if it moves to LOW
For $1,500 I'd buy an XTR-III 5.5-30x56 built entirely in Greely, CO... 100% American made with LOW Jap ED glass.

I'm pretty much done with Vortex, honestly... I'm selling off most of my Vortex stuff. Eventually all my HS-T's are getting replaced with XTR-II's while on sale for $650, and so will several of my Arkens (I'll probably keep them for test mules, since they are tough, great tracking, and have decent glass with an easily reset ZS). The lowest MSRP full-time scope I'll have on one of my precision rifles will be $1,499 (XTR-II 5-25x50 Illum.).

That might sound like a scope snob thing to say, but I've been growing more displeased with Vortex over the last 5+ years as it is. My Strike Eagle is an alright scope, but I noticed a couple days ago that the magnification ring had gotten twisted too far and wasn't lining up, and was hard to twist (must have happened in transport and I never noticed when I got home 🤷🏼), and I had to pop it back into place. Once popped back in, it's working 100% normal, and everting seems fine. But, one of my HS-T's got replaced by the SE a couple years back because when I wiggled the mag ring, the reticle wiggled with it.. My Diamondback HD spotter I bought about 10 years ago has terrible glass in it, and has never been clear. It's little shit like that, that is slowly turning me off of Vortex. Plus, they have all the issue with Razor turrets, etc... I mean, that's a $3,000 MSRP scope...They shouldn't be having QC issues like that. Just my $0.02 of mounting issues with my own personal Vortex optics...

For $1,500 I'd buy an XTR-III 5.5-30x56 built entirely in Greely, CO... 100% American made with LOW Jap ED glass.

I'm pretty much done with Vortex, honestly... I'm selling off most of my Vortex stuff. Eventually all my HS-T's are getting replaced with XTR-II's while on sale for $650, and so will several of my Arkens (I'll probably keep them for test mules, since they are tough, great tracking, and have decent glass with an easily reset ZS). The lowest MSRP full-time scope I'll have on one of my precision rifles will be $1,499 (XTR-II 5-25x50 Illum.).

That might sound like a scope snob thing to say, but I've been growing more displeased with Vortex over the last 5+ years as it is. My Strike Eagle is an alright scope, but I noticed a couple days ago that the magnification ring had gotten twisted too far and wasn't lining up, and was hard to twist (must have happened in transport and I never noticed when I got home 🤷🏼), and I had to pop it back into place. Once popped back in, it's working 100% normal, and everting seems fine. But, one of my HS-T's got replaced by the SE a couple years back because when I wiggled the mag ring, the reticle wiggled with it.. My Diamondback HD spotter I bought about 10 years ago has terrible glass in it, and has never been clear. It's little shit like that, that is slowly turning me off of Vortex. Plus, they have all the issue with Razor turrets, etc... I mean, that's a $3,000 MSRP scope...They shouldn't be having QC issues like that. Just my $0.02 of mounting issues with my own personal Vortex optics...
I wonder how many non illuminated CO assembled XTR3 they're selling for more money than the Phillipines illuminated ones

I wonder how many non illuminated CO assembled XTR3 they're selling for more money than the Phillipines illuminated ones
I was wondering that, as well... They're selling those non-illum's for dirt!

I thought about picking one up to compare to my XTR-II's, and then put it on one of my old lightweight hunting rifles that I'm having the smith do some modernization and revamping work to... They were always accurate guns, but now I plan on working up good loads for them again, now that they'll be threaded for a can, and have the receivers drilled & tapped for proper pic rails. They're a pair of old 90's Ruger M77 MKII All-Weather stainless rifles in the skeleton stocks... One in 7mm RemMag, and one is a rare mountain rifle model in 7mm-08 (my first bolt-action rifle dad got me when I was about 12). Most folks will probably accuse me of "destroying" them, but I want to make them useable. I've spent all that money on cans to NOT blow my eardrums out, so might as well use them on everything. And everyone knows those proprietary Ruger rings SUCK! Now I'll be able to use high quality ARC M-Brace & Seekins rings, and have 20MOA extra on top for the 7mm RemMag. 😉

If planning to buy Chinese made anyway, I'd strongly recommend buying the Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 over a Strike Eagle for noticeably better glass, way better steel on steel tactile turrets and a positive hard zero stop that won't limit your total elevation travel and much lighter weight and very minimal to no complaints about failures or poor QC.

I still like Vortex but not their Chinese made ones after several failures from different tiers of their Chinese made scopes I've already experienced first hand. I've personally had zero issues with the Chinese Athlon Midas Tac and Ares BTRs so far aside from the extremely terrible image quality on high magnification on both of my Argos BTR 6-24x50s at $399 each which Athlon said were totally normal since they didn't have the superior HD glass that their Midas HD line and above have. The IQ on high magnification on the Argos BTR was even worse than the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 and Arken SH4 6-24x50 and Swampfox Patriot 6-24x50 (better quality version of the Vortex Diamondback Tactical but in fact cheaper).

I'm admittedly a glass snob and the minimum I'd expect in Chinese scopes is at least Athlon Midas Tac glass quality in all of my Chinese scopes I use otherwise I just don't want to use them at all and I'd even say the Athlon Midas Tac HD glass is better than the ED glass used in the new Match Pro ED. The Chinese Athlon Midas Tac is clearer on high magnification compared to the Filipino Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 and has way better turrets more elevation travel and a hard zero stop that won't limit total elevation travel and is lighter too. Once you look through an Athlon Midas Tac or Ares BTR it's very hard to actually want to use scopes with inferior glass.

The Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 is currently really cheap for everyone at $565 free shipping and free returns at Walmart online and Amazon for more money $607-$613 free shipping and free returns. They usually sell for $869.99 everywhere else and have a MSRP of $1087.49. if you're wanting to try them out and don't like them just return it for a refund but they're way better than the Strike Eagle and still better than the Viper PST Gen 2 and considering you're paying only $565 for an $869.99 typical street price scope.

Last edited:

Incorrect… “AMG” stands for Advanced Manufacturing Group.

I was under the impression that Nightforce glass came from HOYA. Facility in Japan...

Slight correction, AMG stands for Advanced Manufacturing Group. Think of AMG as Vortex's version of Lockheed's Skunkworks - basically the best of the best of Vortex engineers and manufacturing techniques.

Oops, didn't see that Chargerguy already answered this, need to read the whole thread before responding next time 😝

I was under the impression that Nightforce glass came from HOYA. Facility in Japan...
Nightforce keeps sourcing information minimal, most ATACR series scopes simply say "Made in Japan" or "Assembled in USA" but where parts come from are largely not very well known. NF and LOW were close partners some years ago and I suspect there is still a fairly close relationship. Keep in mind that any reputable optical glass manufacturer can create superb glass elements, for years many viewed German Schott glass or Swarovski glass as "the best" and there are some good arguments to this, but there is no reason to say that Japanese glass cannot also be spoken of in the same sentence and we see this with some of Nightforce's products as well as March as I have seen products from these two that match and sometimes exceed their European counterparts. Hoya and it's subsidiaries are a massive OEM optical glass supplier so it wouldn't be too far fetched to learn that Hoya is providing LOW and other manufacturers with the glass. @koshkin would likely know more...

Hi All , I'm trying to make sense of the Vortex Scope line up. In particular , where the glass quality changes across models. Seems if the info is available, Vortex has done a good job of hiding it from my searches. I'm wondering if there is a chart somewhere that compares model glass ( and or features) . I'd really like to see the deltas in the Diamondback, Venom, Strike Eagle, PST G2, etc.
Keep in mind that with the optics world, you largely get what you pay for but also keep in mind that just having good glass doesn't mean the scope is the best choice. There is a lot more than glass that goes into a quality scope, so while Chinese manufactured glass may be improving, it is the parts and assembly process that cause me reservation. I have been impressed with the optical performance of some of the more recent Chinese gear; however, I would be trepidatious over the longevity and durability of these gear over time.

I guess the only real way to know where NF sources their glass from, is to call Jeff Huber over at ZCO optics...

I guess the only real way to know where NF sources their glass from, is to call Jeff Huber over at ZCO optics...
Not even sure Jeff would tell you, he likely knows, but I'm sure part of his leaving NF included some legal paperwork which prohibits him from sharing proprietary information. :censored:

Reactions: FuhQ