• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex or Bushnell?

Beanz762

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Hi my names Rob and im Having some trouble making a decision on a scope for my 700 p LTR in 308. I live in Australia so my local forums dont have too much experience with these scopes. the two I am considering are the Bushnell elite tactical 6-24x50 mil mil or the vortex viper pst 6-24x50. anyone used these before? Glass quality is secondary to functionality and build quality.
PS, I have learned a lot from SH so far as I continuously strive to improve with precision shooting.

Having looked through both of the scopes I would say vortex gets the edge on glass ( by a slim margine), however Bushnell gets a huge win with the G2 reticle. The vortex subtensions are thick and chunky. The G2 reticle is well thought out. In these price ranges I would consider bumping up to a used Bushnell DMR 3.5-21.

Chip

Thanks Count, I have looked at the DMR online, maybe i should give it some more thought. does the 34mm tube restrict ring mounting options?

These scopes you are referring to are 30mm tubes not 34. While I respect Counts opinion, I couldn't disagree more about the optical comparison.

To my eye the Bushnell has a distinct advantage in several categories. Edge to edge sharpness is noticeably better as well as overall brightness and field of view, At high or full mag this is very apparent.

Of the several threads about comparing these two scopes it leads me to think that 1) people eye's see things differently and 2) there is possible variation in how these scopes come off the line.

Gday mate,

EDIT: sorry I just reread your post and realised we were talking different scopes.

A couple of mates run them on 223 rifles and they are very good (Ive also used them)

They are clear and sharp and work well under both red and white spotties when shooting roos and foxes.

I do prefer the ERS and XRS for the larger z stop turrets and the 34mm tubes do seem to be brighter, but for the price difference the 6500 ETs are a very good scope.

Cheers

H

Last edited:
These scopes you are referring to are 30mm tubes not 34.

The Bushnell 3.5-21 does has a 34mm tube. Perhaps there are slightly less mounting options for 34mm tubes vs. 30mm, but as far as mounting options for a 700LTR, I don't know what options you want besides rings (Badger, Seekins, etc) or one-piece mounts (ADM, Sphur, etc)

Hi Mate,

You'll find a lot of vortex fans on the east coast. I have 5 of them, including the 6-24 x 50 PST MRad FFP.

You'll notice most gun shops in Oz push Bushnell. Most have never heard of vortex. The push bushnell cause they make huge margin on it compared to others.

If your in Sydney your welcome to look through mine at St Mary's range.

I agree with Gorax. I don't find that much of a difference in the glass. My brother has the Bushnell in question and I have used it quite a bit. But the thing that makes me choose the Vortex Viper's, I have 2, is their killer no BS warranty that is transferable if one decides to sell the scope. makes for a much easier sale.

Thank you gorax for the offer but I'm actually in Melbourne. I'm sure I will either bump into someone at my local range or have a look at one at my gun shop. Seems there is a good mix between the two and both have strengths and weaknesses.