• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST 6-24, maybe canted crosshairs?

Snoball

Pew...pew,pew,pew 'MERICA
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2013
Cypress, TX
Hello,

I have a question about a recent scope purchase. I bought a second hand Vortex PST 6-24 FFP scope. The scope it self looks to be in great condition, minus a slight "milky" look at higher power. The question I have is this: I mounted to my Rem 700 sps using Midwest Ind. single piece picattiny mount, torqued to 20 in-lbs, and mounted the rings. Now I put a level on scope base to make sure it was level, checked to make sure the rifle itself was level and not canted either up or down/side-side. I mounted the scope in the rings, snugged them up, and put a level on the elevation turret to make sure the scope was level. I checked several times to make sure everything was level on the scope and the rifle, torqued the scope rings to Burris's recommendation (don't remember the exact in-lbs, but it was off of their website) and checked to make sure everything was level again. Everything but the cruddy base was level. The base is tilted slightly toward the action, which only leaves me 4 mils of travel left. The base is going to go shortly. The deal is, the cross-hairs are not level...or at least they don't appear level to me. I installed a Vortex scope level on the scope, and while at the range when I was "level" it was very obvious that the cross-hairs were canted to the left. I'm hoping this is being caused by my base, but I keep second guessing myself. Any opinions or ideas? Am I going about mounting this scope the wrong way? At 100-200yds I don't see a big problem with this, but I'm concerned that the further I go out, the more this will affect me. Thanks in advance.

What were you comparing it to to determine it wasnt level. If you are just looking at the berm downrange you want to keep in mind that often the berms wont be exactly level either. If you really want to test it try hanging a piece of 550 cord witha weight attached to it from a target backer to act as a plumb bob then level your scope and check your cross hairs against that plumb line.

That's a really good idea. I was actually checking the crosshairs against some trim on the wall. I also looked at a window that was checked with a straight edge. I will try your idea though... Will make it easier in the future anyways.

Remington is known to put out actions with mis drilled base holes. Generally speaking, i have been more pleased with the MI parts then Remington rifles as of late.

i had a 4-16 pst that had a pretty bad cant, scott made it right though.

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a new base coming in to see if maybe that had something to do with the cant. Is there a good way of checking the base holes for alignment? I guess I could measure using a set of calipers and the bolts screwed in? I don't want to jump to conclusions on the scope just yet. Also, who is Scott?