• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Choices

rca1981

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2012
Pocatello, Idaho USA
I have a budget of $1,000 and I have narrowed my scope choices down to the Viper PST line. I've done some forum searches but still have a few questions I was hoping you could help answer.

1)Magnification: I plan to hunt and shoot long range with this scope. I've read that the glass on the 4-16 is not nearly as clear as the glass on the 6-24 scope. Is 6x going to be too much on the low end for hunting big game? Is the extra $50 worth 8x the magnification, especially if the glass is better?

2)Illuminated reticle: Does it matter much? Does it make the PST line worth it over the HS LR models?

3) FFP vs SFP: I understand how it works at different magnification levels, thicker vs thinner reticle etc. However is it worth $200 if I won't use it for ranging? It would matter though if I were to use the hash marks for holdovers correct? If FFP is really nice why are many of the Nightforce NXS scopes SFP?

4) EBR1 vs EBR2 reticle: Is there any advantage to one over the other?

Thanks

I have a budget of $1,000 and I have narrowed my scope choices down to the Viper PST line. I've done some forum searches but still have a few questions I was hoping you could help answer.

1)Magnification: I plan to hunt and shoot long range with this scope. I've read that the glass on the 4-16 is not nearly as clear as the glass on the 6-24 scope. Is 6x going to be too much on the low end for hunting big game? Is the extra $50 worth 8x the magnification, especially if the glass is better? You can always dial back magnification.

2)Illuminated reticle: Does it matter much? Does it make the PST line worth it over the HS LR models? That depends on what you're hunting, time of day, etc. It never hurts to have but keep in mind in some States it's illegal.

3) FFP vs SFP: I understand how it works at different magnification levels, thicker vs thinner reticle etc. However is it worth $200 if I won't use it for ranging? It would matter though if I were to use the hash marks for holdovers correct? If FFP is really nice why are many of the Nightforce NXS scopes SFP? It is if you prefer to do hold overs/offs and don't want to be on max magnification. Some guys though hold a reference point on the game and not the reticle which would make FFP mute. How do you use your reticle now?

4) EBR1 vs EBR2 reticle: Is there any advantage to one over the other? It's all personal preference.

Thanks

And cue the Vortex haters who are now all going to show up and try to dissuade you.

About 1.5 years ago I was in those same shoes.

I needed a scope for my dolled up Remington 700. I choose the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP with the regular EBR1 reticle.
The scope has served me well this far and If nothing out of the ordinary happens I will keep it for another year or so, while I gather up funds for a high quality scope, im thinking Hensoldt, Kahles or maybe Nightforce ATACR. The single most important reason I want to upgrade is the optical quality, and quality lenses costs a boatload of cash, or so it seems atleast.
For the money though, the Vortex Viper PST series does not have a lot (if any) competition.

I take my gun to the range way more than I go hunting, therefore I got the 6-24 magnification. If I hunt its mainly for fox and similar game and some extra magnification does become handy at times.
Personally, I never ever use the illumination. I know its there, I know it works but again, I never use it.
Oh, and if you never range anything with the reticle, there is no real point to go for the FFP scope, IMO. And even if you do range with the reticle, chances are that you may want to look at your target at full magnification anyway. And it is at full magnification that the reticle and turrets match up on the SFP version of the scope.

check out the vortex hs lr i have been running it for the last 2 years and it seems it would fit what you want

Check out the burris XTR II line coming out. Close to your budget and the reviews are very positive so far. I was sold on the pst as well but the xtr ii seems to have nicer glass more adjustment and a better zero stop

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

-nick-: what states would an illuminated reticle be illegal? I have never heard of that before. Would that fall into some classification like "night vision" equipment or something like that?

Ive got a 2.5-10x32 FFP, a 4-16x50 SFP and a 6-24x50 SFP. I like all of them. I cant really say I personally can notice a difference in glass between them all, but maybe if I ever had all 3 out side by side I could maybe tell. To me they all look fantastic, but I dont have much time behind anything else "higher end" like S&B, USO or NF. My buddy I shoot with has an S&B 5-25 and it has great class, noticeably better than my Vortex, but at 3-4x the cost, not sure if its worth it FOR ME.

As far as 4x or 6x on the bottom end, I find myself shooting at 8x-12x A TON at 100-400 yards so again, for me, the low end doesnt mean much, but having the extra 12x(16x-24x) at the top end is a considerable advantage. I personally dont think I would have done the 4-16, but my dad built the gun at the time and the glass works for that gun(LMT MWS). So my vote is 6-24x. If you arent going to range, the SFP is a fine choice. I have ranged with mine, but it is a little harder at much inside of 250-300 yards because you possibly cant see your whole target since you have to range at 24. Its not hard to range something like a 6 or 8" tall target at 100 yards on 24x, but I would think something standing 5-6 feet tall might be a challenge. Thats where FFP comes into play IMO.

-nick-: what states would an illuminated reticle be illegal? I have never heard of that before. Would that fall into some classification like "night vision" equipment or something like that?

Ive got a 2.5-10x32 FFP, a 4-16x50 SFP and a 6-24x50 SFP. I like all of them. I cant really say I personally can notice a difference in glass between them all, but maybe if I ever had all 3 out side by side I could maybe tell. To me they all look fantastic, but I dont have much time behind anything else "higher end" like S&B, USO or NF. My buddy I shoot with has an S&B 5-25 and it has great class, noticeably better than my Vortex, but at 3-4x the cost, not sure if its worth it FOR ME.

As far as 4x or 6x on the bottom end, I find myself shooting at 8x-12x A TON at 100-400 yards so again, for me, the low end doesnt mean much, but having the extra 12x(16x-24x) at the top end is a considerable advantage. I personally dont think I would have done the 4-16, but my dad built the gun at the time and the glass works for that gun(LMT MWS). So my vote is 6-24x. If you arent going to range, the SFP is a fine choice. I have ranged with mine, but it is a little harder at much inside of 250-300 yards because you possibly cant see your whole target since you have to range at 24. Its not hard to range something like a 6 or 8" tall target at 100 yards on 24x, but I would think something standing 5-6 feet tall might be a challenge. Thats where FFP comes into play IMO.

I thought Washington had some rules about electronics in this State for anything other than varmint, but don't quote me because that might not be correct. I would error on the side of caution though and ask the local Fish & Game dept to stay on the safe side.

I thought Washington had some rules about electronics in this State for anything other than varmint, but don't quote me because that might not be correct. I would error on the side of caution though and ask the local Fish & Game dept to stay on the safe side.

"Hunting big game with the aid of
an artificial light, spotlight, or night
vision equipment is prohibited.
Night vision equipment includes
electronic light amplification
devices, thermal imaging devices,
and other comparable equipment
used to enhance night vision."

I think Illumination is fine... But always err on the side of caution.

"Hunting big game with the aid of
an artificial light, spotlight, or night
vision equipment is prohibited.
Night vision equipment includes
electronic light amplification
devices, thermal imaging devices,
and other comparable equipment
used to enhance night vision."

I think Illumination is fine... But always err on the side of caution.

It took some searching since WDFW never makes it easy... Can I use an electronic scope with illuminated cross hairs while hunting during a modern firearm season? | WDFW Help

You're right though and an illuminated reticle is fine in Washington.

1)Magnification: I plan to hunt and shoot long range with this scope. I've read that the glass on the 4-16 is not nearly as clear as the glass on the 6-24 scope. Is 6x going to be too much on the low end for hunting big game? Is the extra $50 worth 8x the magnification, especially if the glass is better? I run a 4-16 and a 6-24, I don't find the 6-24 any better optically. on magnification vs distance, what is the close and long shot you want to take with your rifle? if you might have a 50 yard or closer shot, I would go with the 4-16

2)Illuminated reticle: Does it matter much? Does it make the PST line worth it over the HS LR models? if your state allows it, and most do, it can only benefit you, when your animal shows up, it's usually dark or close to dark, the little contract illumination offers can mean the difference of being able to make the shot or now

3) FFP vs SFP: I understand how it works at different magnification levels, thicker vs thinner reticle etc. However is it worth $200 if I won't use it for ranging? It would matter though if I were to use the hash marks for holdovers correct? If FFP is really nice why are many of the Nightforce NXS scopes SFP? you can really go either way? do you anticipate having to hold over or for wind on anything other than full magnification? if so, go FFP, or if you plan to use your rifle for hunting and competition. that said, I run SFP in most of my hunting rifles and dedicated long range stuff, just my preference, but I feel it doesn't obscure the target as much

4) EBR1 vs EBR2 reticle: Is there any advantage to one over the other? not really, reticles are personal preference.

Thanks

Home that helps, if I can answer any questions please call.

Not to Hijack the thread but I am in a similar boat.
I don't care for the high power magnification. I use guns with 5-25 S&B's, never have I shot with my magnification set higher than 16 or 18. I do however appreciate a wide field of view and a lower magnification for hunting coyotes and stuff.
So is the glass really that much better on the 6-24 than the 4-16? That's my real question. Can you compare them to something else? (Currently using a 2.5-16 bushnell 4200 for comparison purposes??)

I guess you could call me a vortex hater, since I don't have blind devotion to any particular product.
First off, yes, you can dial down your magnification, but if you are using a 6-24, you can't dial below 6x.
I would not recommend something as high as a 6-24 unless your primary hunting is on the plains or prairie dogs.
If you are set on a 6-24, I'm sure that you would be happy with the vortex, though there are other options like the Bushnell and Sightron SIII, which are high quality Japanese made riflescopes.

I would much rather have something with a minimum power of 3 or 4, as you get a correspondingly wider field of view, a very important consideration if some shots are expected to be close. To me, a 3-15 or 4-16 would be a much better fit for hunting and recreational use.
Don't forget to consider minimum focus distance.
There are more advantages to FFP than mere ranging, including accurate holdovers and leads on any power.
As Mike suggested, I would give the HST line a serious look, they are well designed and will save you considerable coin.
Another option, though you seem to have your mind made up, the sightron S tac 2.5-17.5 should be a strong contender and it will focus down to 10 yards.