• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Gen II 5-25x50 for TIKKA T3X TAC A1 6.5CREED?

LONG RNG

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2019
Ohio
I am 100% new to long range shooting. Now have $$ to get into it and give it an honest try.

I have ordered a Tikka T3X TAC A1 (waitlist -so I could change my mind if needed) and feel the Vortex PST Gen II 5-25x50 will be the scope I would like to use as my budget is roughly $1000.00.
I do wish to venture into shooting out past 1000yards + , as I live in Arizona I have all kinda room to shoot.

Questions: 1) Are any of you running this combination?
2) What mounting configuration are you running ( since the rail is 0MOA) ?
3) did you change the receiver rail out for a 20 MOA ?

Knowing what you know now would you have bought a TIKKA CTR and then put that into a KRG chassis or the like instead?

If you feel I should look at a different scope I am openminded to looking but the price tag on the Viper looks pretty good.

Thank you in advance for any help.

That would be a great scope for that rifle. The 0 moa rail should suffice for now if you need to shoot 1200 yards plus then you will need a 20 Moa rail.

Reactions: LONG RNG
I would save $600 and get the razor. That is unless you like your turrets popping off.

One scope will be a paperweight and nearly worthless in 5 years and the other will probably hold its value. Go take a look at what a Gen 1 PST sells for used.

I would save $600 and get the razor. That is unless you like your turrets popping off.

One scope will be a paperweight and nearly worthless in 5 years and the other will probably hold its value. Go take a look at what a Gen 1 PST sells for used.
Where do I find it for $1600? This one or do you mean a different model?
RAZOR® HD
GEN II 4.5-27X56 FFP ?

The gen 2 PST has not had any issues. Comparing it to the Gen 1 is invalid.

@AZengraver, your choice is a great way to get started in that budget range. The Gen II Viper is a solid scope in that price range. Don’t overthink your scope choice or you’ll easily end up with analysis paralysis.

Well, I've got the Gen II PST 5x25 and it hasn't popped it's turrets yet. Maybe because mine is in m.o.a., it holds up better. Mac(y)

Unless I'm missing something, the comparable scope at Liberty is $2K, not $1600. The $1600 scope is the 3-18x50, not the 4.5-27x56

what am I missing???

You can save a few dollars @ EuroOptic, they have a new closeout with the EBR-2D reticle for $799
https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Vi...il&utm_term=0_dde3ccfa21-1baf9094ea-159210865

And a showroom demo with the EBR-7C for $849
https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Vi...C-MRAD-Riflescope-PST-5259-Showroom-Demo.aspx

Be careful, optics can be a very expensive rabbit hole, if you can save $1600 you can save a few hundred more and get a used XYZ, it never ends. A PST will do 95% of what a Razor will do for a lot less money.

Exact scope I have on my TAC A1. Works great! Is it a G2 razor or NF? Nope, but very happy for the $.

I’m shooting the Gen 1 PST on my Tac A1. It’s mounted with the 20moa Spuhr mount. No problems yet.

Exact scope I have on my TAC A1. Works great! Is it a G2 razor or NF? Nope, but very happy for the $.

May I ask how you have it mounted? did you replace the receiver pic rail for a 20moa or does the mount have 20moa built in? Additionally what bipod and how did you attach it?

Don

I still have the original rail. I then added a 20 moa mount. Gives me just over 19 mil.

Per above post, no need to replace the rail. I've got a TAC A1 and am running a Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 using a NF 20 moa 1.375 high Unimount.

To your other question, I am running an Atlas bipod on that rig. BT47-LW17 If memory serves, I added a small pic rail to the front to mount. (I just can't remember if the Tikka came with one)

what am I missing???

Add the scope to your cart to see the actual price. It's better than what is advertised.

The Razor Gen II deals are good; the Razor AMG deal is even better IMO.

I own both a Tikka Tac A1 as my main precision rifle with a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x. I also have PST Gen IIs in 3-15, and 5-25x.

If this is going to be your primary precision long range rifle, I'd say save up a couple hundred more dollars and snatch up a used Razor here on Snipers Hide. They frequently go for around $1500 and the glass is a step up from the PST line and the turrets on the Razor line are a huge improvement. You won't regret it.

Also check out the Athlon Cronus BTR. Maybe not G2 Razor level but IMO better than PST line.

Add the scope to your cart to see the actual price. It's better than what is advertised.

The Razor Gen II deals are good; the Razor AMG deal is even better IMO.
I called Scott, really nice guy. Glad I clicked on this random thread :).

Last edited:
No matter which brand of scope is of interest, people owe it to themselves to call, on that ancient instrument remembered as a telephone, Scott at Liberty Optics (for Vortex or other brands he carries) or Doug at CameralandNy (Athlon, Nightforce, others). They are SH sponsor vendors and they look after SH members. You can also get an idea of Scott's pricing by putting an item in the cart.

There are a number of posts on SH referring the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP), which is the lowest price at which a manufacturer allows its goods to be advertised (like on a website). Undercutting that price could jeopardize the vendor's ability to continue carrying the product.

So, whatever wonderful price you do or don't get, PLEASE don't screech and hollar about it here. Our SH sponsored vendors look after us. Please look after them.

I would snag a used razor from the px here. They are usually $1500. Make sure to get a good mount. Spuhr is really nice. I’m sure there are other good ones too. Optics are a crazy rabbit hole. I started out planning on a used razor for my most recent rifle and ended up with a new zco!