• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Turret Tracking Issue...

Re: Vortex PST Turret Tracking Issue...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all just means that Vortex is giving you the max elevation adjustment that is physically possible within the diameter of the scope and the others that do track square at their max adjustment are not .
Vortex understands that it is better to dial for elevation and hold off for wind . </div></div>

Thats all good and fine except that the windage turret will continue to rotate without resistance and appear to track on the outside, eventhough there is no reticle movement on the inside.

Furthermore, if you then dial down the elevation with the reticle up against the scope tube, the reticle will track on a diagonal. If you don't understand what the scope's limitations are, you will eventually run into this problem.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another PST; however, if I did go that route, I'd spend alot of time tripple-checking my reticle's maximums and have it litterally mapped out on a piece of paper before I even started zeroing it.

Can somebody give me a real case scenario in which you would actually max out your clicks??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can somebody give me a real case scenario in which you would actually max out your clicks?? </div></div>
Don't know. It may happen if you're shooting in a steady but strong wind. I assume these conditions may exist sometimes somewhere.

With 338 Lapua, sending Berger 300gr OTM Hybrid (MV=2700fps) at 2000m in 20mph wind you'd need 8.9mil windage (11.6mil at 2500m, if you can handle 50mil elevation
smile.gif
). 25mph wind brings it up to 10.9mil windage at 2000m. Finally 40mph would require 17.1mil (pretty much maxing out the clicks) at 2000m... Would you shoot that far in such a strong wind? Don't ask me.
smile.gif

With 308 Win, trying to send 178gr AMAX (MV=2650fps) to 1000m with steady 40mph wind would require 14.3mil of windage. 30mph would require 10mil windage (not maxing out the clicks, but pushing it pretty close). Finally, 20mph needs 7.3mil correction.

<span style="font-style: italic">P.S. Somehow I don't think I'll max out on the windage clicks of my Razor HD, and if I'm asked to shoot at max distances in 40mph wind - I'll probably excuse myself from even being in the open field.
grin.gif
</span>

With the elevation and windage that is being attempted and using the load for my 260 I would be unable to dial enough wind at 1430 yards with a 30 mph crosswind. I think most days like that I would just stay at home.

You guys need to knock it off before they start building square rifle scopes to make people doing 19 mil box tests happy. I don't want square rifle scopes
eek.gif

Im not sure how so many don't get this and are pulling out the hounds onto vortex? This limitation is discussed on this forum atleast once a month. Its nothing new or unique to vortex. There have been a couple good pictures floating around displaying the mechanics of why this happens. Hopefully they will be reposted to clear some things up.

You dont have to go from extreme to extreme for the box test. As others have said, the round design is more of a feature than a setback. It is an advantage. If it was done as a square, the only thing you would accomplish is ALOT less travel in windage AND elevation. There ARE different designs that might have a less pronounced effect, but something always has to give, usually that means the tube will be wider there. I for one enjoy that I actually have 21+ mils of elevation, not the advertised 19.. I can use that alot more than 19 mils of windage.

Just playing with numbers ......

22LR 1050 fps, 100 zero
Drop at 250 yards = 9.1 MIL
38 MPH crosswind = 9.5 MIL

223 75gr HP, 2790 FPS, 100 zero
Drop at 900 yards = 9.6 MIL
35 MPH crosswind = 9.7 MIL

Yeah, I'm thinking the box test might look more important on paper rather than real world conditions.

Holy crap boys and girls. It's simple geometry.

I am not an engineer, but I can look at a tube in a tube and see why what the OP is describing occurs.

I would love to have full windage at full elevation, but not by sacrificing elevation or windage travel.

Now kids, do you see why many of us recommend 20MOA bases? It places the erector assembly in location in the tube to allow more windage travel at greater ranges (where it's needed).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now kids, do you see why many of us recommend 20MOA bases? It places the erector assembly in location in the tube to allow more windage travel at greater ranges (where it's needed).</div></div>
And some of us use 40MOA bases!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now kids, do you see why many of us recommend 20MOA bases? It places the erector assembly in location in the tube to allow more windage travel at greater ranges (where it's needed).</div></div>
And some of us use 40MOA bases!
wink.gif
</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Update:</span></span>

I recieved my Falcon 5.5-25x56 FFP mil/mil in the mail today. Doing some basic tracking tests, well, the least I can say is <span style="font-weight: bold">I fell retarded for selling my PST</span>. These turrets are in no way superior to the Vortex.

The only good things I can say about the Falcon is it's heavier and cheaper. In addition, I noticed the turrets won't track on a 'diagonal' when dialing down from one of the corners as I saw in the Vortex. The Falcon's turrets will instead come to a tough stop. Still a viable option for those who have better places for their hard earned cash.

The good news is I put the money from the PST to but an SWFA SSHD equivalent. If that wont cut it, my plan B is to buy another Vortex PST.

Just thought I'd let you guys know!