• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor 4.5-27 worth giving up my 5.5-22 NXS?

jsimonh

Minuteman
Feb 4, 2011
Altus, Oklahoma
I understand this scope isnt out yet, so just looking for overall comparisons to the higher end Vortexs. The new gen2 will be at the top of my budget and I would have to sell my NF to make it happen. The higher mag range along with ffp and illumination sound very good, but I dont want to regret letting the nicest scope I've owned go. My previous scope was a Sightron 8-32 which I loved until I got the NF. The ZS and HS turrets have me spoiled. Ive always missed the upper mag the S3 gave me and the Vortex would get me up there pretty close and looks like it will still provide me with the features I like on my NF. Not sure if I'm trying to talk myself into or out of it!

As nice as your NF is, I'm sure the Vortex will make you very happy other than the weight. This really has me on the fence with getting the Razor 4.5-27. If you're already aware and weight is not a factor, then I say GET IT. Otherwise, review the weight of that Sightron you had, review the weight of your NF....then check out the weight of the Gen 2 Razors. It is either 10 or 12 ounces HEAVIER than the Steiner 5-25x I was thinking it would replace....Hmmmmmm.

The new razor is a great scope. I have only got to handle it shot show. So far the only negative I can see is the weight. That may not matter to you. Whats the main purpose of the rifle it is going on? Is it a target rifle or a deer rifle?

Its going to be on a tactical comp 6.5x47L built by Beanland. I mostly shoot steel with an occasional hunt. The weight is a concern but Im just a few months from getting my Cyclone and Im thinking it will be a much bigger weight difference than another 10 ounces in the middle of the gun.

All that weight adds up. I'm not saying don't get it because of weight, just something to consider. If you are shooting tactical comps ffp is a good reason to switch from the nxs. I would suggest you talk to someone at Gene Sears in El Reno and ask when they expect them. Try to get your hands on one before you purchase it.

Thanks for the replies. Gene Sears is a good idea, I get most of my reloading stuff from them. Not sure why I wasnt thinking about them carrying Vortex. We have a Vortex dealer here in town (Altus) but they dont carry anything over a PST.

BTW....I just looked up the weight of an NXS 5.5-22x and the Razor will be a full 16.5 ounces heavier. I have no doubt it will be a better scope but like JSF said, it all adds up and it's probably not going to end with the scope, the rings will probably be just a bit heavier going from 30mm to 34mm. I know that's negligible but something to think about.

I can't wait until people decide they don't like the weight and sell it discounted to me.

The new Razor looks real nice but as was said it's a heavy beast.
For a comparison I just held my full size S&W model 29 44 mag with 6 1/2 barrel in my hands to get the feel of the weight of the new Razor.
My revolver weighs exactly the same. No matter how you cut it it's a heavy scope.

It wouldn't bother me because I don't shoot comps, just target shooting but to some it could I guess.

For me the features on the Vortex outweigh, pun intended, the 10 ounces of extra weight over my present scopes.

The features it offers like rob said, vastly overshadow the weight. (For me) I've never understood why guys base their opinions of gear so much on weight. And yes I've humped a 19lb LR rifle miles through shitty terrain. It's called working out, lifting weights, and being in shape.

That being said I've heard 100 times that the weight adds up. Which it certainly does. I'm starting to think this scope has some lead internals. I also hope I can snag one off the classifieds that's too damn heavy for Mrs. OMGunstooheavy.

I don't regret selling the three 5.5-22's I've had in the past to get into the HDMR's that I ran for a while!

Hopefully the new Razors are weighty because they are "overbuilt to be stout and reliable"! I really like the look, features and price of these new scopes! They even brought the parallax down to 30Y which I can appreciate.

If someone happens to be in the preliminary phases of a new rifle build or a rebarrel they could always choose one contour thinner to shave some weight. That'l put the balance towards the middle of the rifle as well.

For tactical matches only a offhand stage would be a concern to me with that extra weight, otherwise the extra weight will help on the other stages for spotting shots.

Most of my shooting will be supported/prone type. Looking at a couple of scopes I will never be able to obtain, NF Beast and S&B 4-27 they both come in at 39+ in the weight. I would obviously take one of those and not think twice, so Im not sure another 9oz is gonna be enough to keep me away.

Absolutely can't skimp on rings with the new Razors, the added inertia under heavy recoil will test the strength of rings and mounts. Unless hunting, running through stages in matches, or a shtf gun, I don't think the weight should be much of a con for a lot of precsion shooters.

It looks like they built an amazing optic, and maybe they added some depleted uranium here and there for strength.

LOL. I've been running ARC M10's so I will probably stick with that type of setup or possibly Seekins rings.

I would rather it overbuilt and extra rugged I don't care about the 10 ounces......I might grab a couple to swap out some f1's as I'd like a little more magnification. Even the current gen 1 razor is a great value for what you get.

Vortex Razor HD 5-20 I had was a great sturdy scope and more likely lighter than the 27X with better glass than your NSX. You should be able to find one used for a great discount and save some money. Just saying.

I recently sold my NF 5-22 and 8-32. The writing as on the wall since they weren't Mil/zero stop/ and FFP. Awesome scopes Ive never had an issue. I just wanted to sell them before the market was flooded. I picked up a Vortex 1-6 and 5-20 Razors. For the price these scopes are packed with feature. I feel once you compare optics at this level its all about preference. I have the new Razor on order. Sure its heavy but Im not running a race with my M40a3. My rifle is probably 17 pounds so 10 oz really doesn't matter at that point. Worse case chop your barrel to 16in and be a bad ass. My buddies rifles does fine at 600yards with a short barrel. We had fun hacking her at the range!
Short Rifle, Long Range: Testing our 16.5? 308 Remington 700 out to 635 yards | Rifleshooter.com

:cool:

py6iEyr7gNt0L8Jm2vmTXyOFFvl.jpg

IMG_9974-425x215.jpg

What are the thoughts on the new Vortex glass vs the Nightforce standard NXS line? Obviously, I know the opinion would be based on last years HD glass but still....I have read that some people don't even think the NXS line (Not F1) of glass isn't any better than the Zeiss and Leupold scopes.

As far as weight...I agree with the poster up top. If an extra 10-16oz. is going to make you shy away from a scope get your fat ass off the couch and go to the gym. Hunting isn't supposed to be a sedentary or non-strenuous activity.

This scope looks like it will be the ticket for anyone looking for good glass and all the options and features at a fraction of the price the rest of the companies are trying to rape us consumers for. I cant wait to place a order for one of these.

The new Razor looks real nice but as was said it's a heavy beast.
For a comparison I just held my full size S&W model 29 44 mag with 6 1/2 barrel in my hands to get the feel of the weight of the new Razor.
My revolver weighs exactly the same. No matter how you cut it it's a heavy scope.

It wouldn't bother me because I don't shoot comps, just target shooting but to some it could I guess.
That's saying a lot right there! One heavy pig. Putting it on Anything but a bench rifle is not smart to me. My rifles are used for hunting too so this isn't even a consideration for my new build. Wish it was lighter. I love the razors.

I'll start by saying I'm not a Vortex guy at all, in fact the opposite. That said I would happily own the new Razor HD and make no apologies to anyone for doing so. This scope is fantastic! I scrutinized them at length at SHOT this year specifically looking for something to complain about. I walked away convinced that this thing is the real deal and am sure it will make a huge impact on the $2-2.5k FFP scope market.

There is nothing in this price segment that will even come close to this scope except for the Steiner if you can get a good deal on one. I suggest that if you want a FFP and are considering selling your Nightforce NXS's to get one do it and never look back. They are heavy but they seem extremely robust and well built (externally anyway). Almost feels like a highly refined USO!

They are heavy but they seem extremely robust and well built (externally anyway).

Internally as well. Lenses will be glued in as well as some other internal changes. Going to be a very nice optic.

Suppose I will have to wait a while until we get them here in the UK ;-)
I love the 5-20 but the new mag range is perfect :)

Well I just sold both of my NF scopes, and will be ordering the Vortex shortly. I have been a loyal NF user for work and play for the past 7 years. They are awesome scopes. However, I am tired of waiting for a FFP from them, and there are too many other options out now. I think NF has missed the boat in some aspects with the Beast. I plan to pick up the XRS as well. I think this new Vortex will be awesome. Heavy yes, but on a 15 pound gun, it won't matter too much to me.

So this means I will be able to upgrade to a Gen 1 Razor from my mrt mark 4? :D

I have a Gen I that has been nothing but a great scope. I'm glad to see Vortex lose the fiber optic thingies and move the illumination switch to the side focus knob. I wish they could do this with the PST line as well. I'm still not sure why Vortex continues to use that fugly color???

I'm still not sure why Vortex continues to use that fugly color???

It's different! I like it. (Gen 1 owner too) - Wicked scope in regards to robustness, controls and amazing clarity.

I heard it's to do with ability to be harder to see both during the day and at night. That part doesn't matter to me.

Looks like a really awesome scope, but seriously, the weight is a huge huge issue.

Think about it like this. The Gen II comes out and their (vortex) R&D continues. They look at an already great scope and think how can we improve this? Lets make a Gen III but make it lighter because its the only really obvious flaw of the scope. So Vortex make internals out of titanium and other alloys to reduce weight. When that day comes, I will pick up a high end Vortex. Besides that particular downside, everything else is great about the product.

Its the same conundrum as all of the ATACR owners wishing their scope had FFP. All of the future Gen II owners will wish their scope was in the same weight bracket as the other high end equivalents.

Looks like a really awesome scope, but seriously, the weight is a huge huge issue.

Think about it like this. The Gen II comes out and their (vortex) R&D continues. They look at an already great scope and think how can we improve this? Lets make a Gen III but make it lighter because its the only really obvious flaw of the scope. So Vortex make internals out of titanium and other alloys to reduce weight. When that day comes, I will pick up a high end Vortex. Besides that particular downside, everything else is great about the product.

Its the same conundrum as all of the ATACR owners wishing their scope had FFP. All of the future Gen II owners will wish their scope was in the same weight bracket as the other high end equivalents.

How much weight do you think would be shed with the revisions you suggest? Maybe a few oz's?

Is a few ounces difference really a deal breaker?

Yeah, the weight is a bummer...This scope really looks awesome, but I'm not prepared to sell my 5-20 RAZOR to buy one. I'm happy with my current razor. I guess if you have a range queen, then the weight shouldn't be much of an issue but for any practible dual purpose rifle you may want to think hard about it....

I have a Gen I that has been nothing but a great scope. I'm glad to see Vortex lose the fiber optic thingies and move the illumination switch to the side focus knob. I wish they could do this with the PST line as well. I'm still not sure why Vortex continues to use that fugly color???

I really almost hate to admin it. Every time I think of grabbing a Razor, I think of that strange brown color sitting on top of either of my gas/bolt all black 308s...and I just can't do it - and I generally have no concern for fashion/colors/matching this or that/dings/scratches/etc.

What features would those be, if you don't mind me asking?

The video pretty much covers it but something not mentioned is that like on the original Razor you can zero between clicks. This means that you don't have to worry about being a little high or low with your zero. You take the elevation knob off and when adjusting there are no clicks so when zeroing you can adjust it to between clicks using the hashmarks under the knob and be right on. Then when you put the elevation knob back on you have clicks again. Sounds much more complicated than it actually it.

My rifles are far from safe/range queens and I will have no problem putting one of these scopes on it. I am betting that once these scopes hit the street and people start using them the whole shock and awe of the weight will fall by the wayside.

I like everything about these scopes but the weight. I have to give Vortex credit......... the design, features, and overall profile of this scope is perfect....... in my opinion. I use my rifles for hunting so unfortunately I don't see these scopes working for me.

Time will tell if it is an issue for the majority of the targeted market.

I would love to see a "light tactical" version.

I'm not real happy with using a screwdriver to obtain initial zero.

Why? Basically the same thing you do with a USO EREK but with an allen wrench but the Vortex way is more accurate due to a better hash system while adjusting. Also you don't have to do it that way. You can just use the knob but if you are off then take the knob off and adjust.

The video pretty much covers it but something not mentioned is that like on the original Razor you can zero between clicks. This means that you don't have to worry about being a little high or low with your zero. You take the elevation knob off and when adjusting there are no clicks so when zeroing you can adjust it to between clicks using the hashmarks under the knob and be right on. Then when you put the elevation knob back on you have clicks again. Sounds much more complicated than it actually it.

My rifles are far from safe/range queens and I will have no problem putting one of these scopes on it. I am betting that once these scopes hit the street and people start using them the whole shock and awe of the weight will fall by the wayside.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

One last question for you, since you compete in quite a few matches I'm sure you really put your scopes through the ringer. How durable are Vortex's compared to say, S&B/Zeiss/US Optics?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

One last question for you, since you compete in quite a few matches I'm sure you really put your scopes through the ringer. How durable are Vortex's compared to say, S&B/Zeiss/US Optics?

Don't have the Vortex in hand so can't say for sure how durable it will be yet but from talking to Scott at Vortex who is a good friend and wouldn't BS me the scopes are going to be plenty tough. I am not concerned in the least bit if it will hold up. The original Razor has held up quite well so I am confident the Razor II will do just fine.

Also you don't have to do it that way. You can just use the knob but if you are off then take the knob off and adjust.

I took a quick look at the zero setting video, but basically you can zero in a traditional fashion, remove the turret and then fine tune with the screw, put the turret back on at "0", correct?

Yup and make sure you have the zero stop set where you want it. I would just take it off and do it like the video states as it's easy enough to do and you need to take the knob cap off anyways.

Can't speak to the USO, but my Zeiss is on a hunting rifle and gets dinged around occasionally. Still holding zero. My Razor Gen I is on my match gun; I shoot FTR and tac matches with it, and it gets plenty beat on. I've dropped it, kicked it once, slammed it into doghouse windows, and bumped it against a lot of "shoot from this" stage props. Still holding zero, though it's a little scratched up.
FWIW, I took an NF 5.5-22 off this rifle. I wanted FFP and the minor difference on low end mag and the 2X less on the top end have not been an issue.

1911fan