• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD 5-20 v. Viper PST Gen II 5-25 for PRS Production Division

MedServ60Driver

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2017
Good afternoon all! I am a long time pistol (PPC, IDPA, and USPSA) and NRA/CMP Service Rifle shooter looking to get into PRS. From my research so far I have decided that I wish to complete in the Production Division, and to this end I am eying a Bergara B-14 HMR or BMP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

However, I am undecided on the optic. I had narrowed it down to the Vortex Razor HD (Gen 1) with MRAD, as it is very highly rated online and is on the list of allowed optics for the Production division. However, at $400 less the Viper PST Gen II 5-25 MRAD has my attention as well.

So, is the 1st Gen Razor $400 more scope than the PST Gen II?

I’ve owned a Gen Razor and a PST and played with my sons Gen 2 PST. You would be better severed with a Gen 1 Razor . Especially since there’s not much in the price difference between the two.

I'm not too familiar with the production division. Isn't that the division where there's a $3,000 limit for the MSRP of the rifle and scope combined? If so, the difference between those two scopes is $600 MSRP. If that's not the case, then the Razor 5-20 would be my pick hands down.

Thanks for the input folks.

Production class requires the published MSRP of the rifle to be under $2000, and for the glass to be under $2000. There used to be a $3000 combined rule but they eliminated that. Additionally, mounting hardware, bipods, brakes, etc are not factored in.

On the list of approved optics the Razor HD Gen 1 seems to be the most highly rated, and when combined with the military discount it is relatively affordable. Thanks for the input everyone, I am going with the Razor.

Good afternoon all! I am a long time pistol (PPC, IDPA, and USPSA) and NRA/CMP Service Rifle shooter looking to get into PRS. From my research so far I have decided that I wish to complete in the Production Division, and to this end I am eying a Bergara B-14 HMR or BMP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Food for thought.... there are only 15 people TOTAL who have shot at any PRS match in the production division nationwide in 2017. There have been 26 matches this season, that averages less than one shooter per match.

Buy whatever gun you want and/or can afford and just shoot with everyone else. Winning or losing in the production division doesn't really mean anything because the pool is too small.

Food for thought.... there are only 15 people TOTAL who have shot at any PRS match in the production division nationwide in 2017. There have been 26 matches this season, that averages less than one shooter per match.

Buy whatever gun you want and/or can afford and just shoot with everyone else. Winning or losing in the production division doesn't really mean anything because the pool is too small.

This is an interest point. However, PRS is still very new in the grand scheme, and this was the first year for Production (correct?). As such I believe as it continues to hopefully build momentum we will see the sport as a whole and as such the production category grow.

A big factor is that, price wise, my budget leans towards Production style rifles and optics. As such, why not shoot in a level playing field, albeit a small one? There's still overall match winners regardless of category, correct?

This is an interest point. However, PRS is still very new in the grand scheme, and this was the first year for Production (correct?). As such I believe as it continues to hopefully build momentum we will see the sport as a whole and as such the production category grow.

A big factor is that, price wise, my budget leans towards Production style rifles and optics. As such, why not shoot in a level playing field, albeit a small one? There's still overall match winners regardless of category, correct?

There was production division last year also and it was also low participation (9 total shooters for the year).

While the idea of a production series is a great way to open the door to invite everyone to participate and let them know you don't need to spend big money on your rifle/scope (and you don't), it ultimately doesn't pan out once you start attending matches.

What you'll find is that most guys are shooting open class by default, even new or relatively low skill shooters or guys with lower dollar rifles in the "run what you brung" camp. Everyone gets squadded together across the match so your peer group becomes the guys you shoot with for the weekend. That's who you care about how you stack up at the end of the match when you look at results.

While there can be an equipment race, IMO it accounts for about 5% of actual performance. The remaining 95% is shooter skill, which comes from shooting a bunch of matches and lots and lots and lots of rounds downrange in practice. That's where the real money is spent in this sport.

All this being said not to tell you not to shoot production division or that you have to spend more, just trying to steer you towards buying the gear you want and can afford without having to alter your purchase decision to conform to a set of rules.

I think the gen 1 razor has better glass than gen 2 pst.

The consensus seems to be that it's fairly close, but the gen 1 razor is just a tad better. Of course it should be given that it's more expensive used than a PST Gen 2 is new.

I think Production division equipment rules are a bit retarded

Howa HCR is less than $2000 MSRP.............not on the list

Howa barreled action ($536 at most MSRP) + any number of chassis that cost less than $1000 MSRP..............not on the list

The MSRP limits AND the "approved list" are redundant. Throw the list out, go by rifle + scope MSRP and be done.

I agree with just buying/building what you want and going out to shoot, whatever class they put you in.

Thanks for the input folks.

Production class requires the published MSRP of the rifle to be under $2000, and for the glass to be under $2000. There used to be a $3000 combined rule but they eliminated that. Additionally, mounting hardware, bipods, brakes, etc are not factored in.

On the list of approved optics the Razor HD Gen 1 seems to be the most highly rated, and when combined with the military discount it is relatively affordable. Thanks for the input everyone, I am going with the Razor.
do you get the best military discount on expertvoice???

Reactions: Sainte70
So, if the Gen 1 Razor and Gen 2 PST were the same price you guys would choose the Gen 1 Razor 5-20x50 everytime?

They are, I would, you should too.

Thanks. I've actually got a Gen 1 Razor in route, but was tempted to pick up the PST 5-25 for comparison / validation.

I'm always second guessing myself with optic purchases.

I hear you there haha. Looking to cut some weight for hunting but maintain LR accuracy. Therefore I am selling my Razor to get a lighter Nightforce NXS and try it out. Then later Ill upgrade to the Vortex AMG. You'll love your razor, my only issue is the space in the center of the EBR2 reticle. Hard for me to aim with , but thats a personal preference.