• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 vs 4.5-27x56 gen I vs II Long Range

timewaster1700

Timewaster1700
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2017
I'm in the market for a scope to use on a bolt action gun set up for long range steel shooting. Will be building a 6.5 Creedmoor and the specifics of the rifle I'm still working out.

I'm trying to decide what FFP scope to put on this. I'd like to do most of my shooting out to 1200 yards with the potential to reach out to a mile after sufficient practice and in the right conditions.

The only scope I currently own is an SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP on my precision AR build. Its been an awesome scope so far. I just put that out there to give you an idea of what I'm used to using and the level of quality I expect. I've shot my friend's 6.5 Creedmoor with an Athlon Cronus on top and it was indeed a beautiful scope but I didn't find myself hating my SS after getting back behind it so I don't think I'm terribly picky optically.

The most important thing to me is mechanical tracking accuracy. And then the other stuff.

I've been looking at the gen 1 and gen 2 Vortex Razor's (5-20x50 vs 4.5-27x56). Let's just say I have access to special pricing on these two scopes and can get either one for substantially less than what they normally go for. That being said, there is still an $840 price gap between the two. I've heard the gen II is without a doubt the better scope in every way with glass that is up there next to S&B. I like the idea of the thinner reticle on it. I have pretty good eyesight and enjoy a thin reticle to be more precise. I also like the idea of more top end magnification for spotting, etc. even though shooting I doubt I've ever need more than 20x.

I have seen a youtube video with poor tracking on the 5-20x50 but I think that was probably a lemon. It got me curious though so I reached out to Vortex and asked what their acceptable tolerance is for accurate tracking and apparently it is 1 click in 100 clicks which would be 0.1 mrad for every 10 mrad of adjustment. The representative said they almost never see that though. Nonetheless I feel that is a fairly large amount of error to have. I would rather see 0.05 mrad for every 10 mrad. Sounds like the tolerance limits are the same for the gen 1 vs the gen 2 and yet I don't think I've read a single tracking issue with the gen ii? Should I be concerned with either of these scopes for tracking?

Has anyone compared these two scopes? Is the gen ii worth the $800 extra? $800 would buy me a whole lotta practice ammo. That being said I don't want to skimp and regret my decision.
Any help would be much appreciated.

First, .1 mil in 10 mils is not a large amount of error. That said all my Razors track right on.

If you can afford the Gen II then get it. The Razor 5-20 is a good scope but the Gen II is better in glass, reticle and knobs. I own and use both. You won't have to worry about wanting to upgrade.

I suggest Gen II, too, if you can afford it. No need to go back to Gen I. Moreover, you can also consider Razor AMG 6*24. It is a lightweight version of Gen II with same price tag. The 30mm tube has more mounting options than a 34 mm tube. I think it has better glasses compare to Gen I & II, too.

I just recently (within the last 3 weeks) sold my Gen 1 and ordered a Gen 2. Just start with a Gen 2. That's not to say the Gen 1 didn't do the trick, but the Gen 2 is just better in every way.

First, .1 mil in 10 mils is not a large amount of error. That said all my Razors track right on.

If you can afford the Gen II then get it. The Razor 5-20 is a good scope but the Gen II is better in glass, reticle and knobs. I own and use both. You won't have to worry about wanting to upgrade.

Rob, I have a quick question (to confirm suspicions) about the Gen 2 and Spuhr mounts. Does the Spuhr leveling system not work with the Gen 2 because the parallax knob is lower than the flat underside of the turret?

Last edited:
Honestly Nate I am not sure. Mine are all in Seekins rings but I thought I have seen them in Spuhr mounts but not sure if they used the leveling system or the old way to level.

Like the others have said, if you can afford the Gen II, I personally feel it's worth the premium over the Gen I. It's better in every way. However, if you don't want to spend the extra dough, the Gen I is perfectly capable. I used to run one quite a bit and was very happy with it.

Thank you everyone for chiming in. For those of you that moved from a Gen I to a Gen II what made you make the move? Wanting more optical clarity? Larger magnification range? Thinner Reticle?

I'm so torn. The price difference between the two is so large, like I say it would pay for a lot of ammo to practice and make me a better shooter. But on the flip side, if I bought the gen II I'd never need a better scope. I question though if I'd ever want a better one even owning the Gun I. Like I say I'm coming from a SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP (Non high density glass model) and I still think it looks awesome! I keep trying to figure out if I will need the extras of the Gen II.

i own both.
I upgraded to the gen 2 because of how forgiving the eyebox is, all the features and because of all the amazing reviews on it.
its really hard to beat it. and you wont ever have to upgrade from it unless you have the coin to pickup a tangent theta or something of the sorts.

Thank you everyone for chiming in. For those of you that moved from a Gen I to a Gen II what made you make the move? Wanting more optical clarity? Larger magnification range? Thinner Reticle?

I'm so torn. The price difference between the two is so large, like I say it would pay for a lot of ammo to practice and make me a better shooter. But on the flip side, if I bought the gen II I'd never need a better scope. I question though if I'd ever want a better one even owning the Gun I. Like I say I'm coming from a SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP (Non high density glass model) and I still think it looks awesome! I keep trying to figure out if I will need the extras of the Gen II.

Buy once cry once mate. When the Gen 2 came out most people raised their eyes at the listed weight of it, but the sales and end users speak for themselves, plenty of top shooters running around the US in the PRS series who are obviously satisfied with them, and abusing them somewhat given the nature of the competition. Weight aside, it has a pretty appealing feature set.

I upgraded mainly for the larger eyebox and perfect zero feature. The added perks are a more (in my opinion) intelligently located illumination feature, wider magnification range, better glass, and better turrets in general. The only drawbacks are weight and cost.

I just recently (within the last 3 weeks) sold my Gen 1 and ordered a Gen 2. Just start with a Gen 2. That's not to say the Gen 1 didn't do the trick, but the Gen 2 is just better in every way.

Rob, I have a quick question (to confirm suspicions) about the Gen 2 and Spuhr mounts. Does the Spuhr leveling system not work with the Gen 2 because the parallax knob is lower than the flat underside of the turret?

I have no issue with my two Spuhr mounts on my gen i or gen ii. SP-4603B for my gen ii on a gas gun. It's their extended length mount. It was mainly designed for us optics lr scopes because of the long erector housing. I got it just because I felt like it wouldn't limit me on future upgrades or mount swapping between rifles.

but to answer your question specifically, I remember that the wedge fit through a groove on the parallax knob.

Like the others have said, if you can afford the Gen II, I personally feel it's worth the premium over the Gen I. It's better in every way. However, if you don't want to spend the extra dough, the Gen I is perfectly capable. I used to run one quite a bit and was very happy with it.

Pretty much this above... Feel free to call us at 916.670.1103 if you need more assistance deciding.

Thanks everyone. Just curious for those with a lot of long range experience how often do you use the 20-27x range of the scope? Just wondering. Farthest I've shot out to is 700 yards and I was only using like 15-18x or something around there. I wonder if mirage would make the top end useless or if you guys still run into scenarios where its handy.

Definitely the gen ii over the gen i. FOV is class leading IMO and the glass is bright and sharp. Are you considering the 3-18 gen ii? That’s plenty to get you out to nearly a mile if you’re hunting steel...

I have run my Razor II 3-18x out to 1250 yards at matches without a problem on about 15x.

If you wanted to keep the cost down the 3-18x is a good option. The extra 9x on top sometimes comes into play if you are spotting or shooting paper drills where you want to be in closer but yes mirage can hinder that at times too. Always give and take.

^^^ as Rob01 stated, it’s a game of give and take. I have enjoyed the top of the 4.5-27 personally, and it’s worth the extra money. but it seems like price is your biggest concern, so take a hard look at the razor ii 3-18x. Really think that will be a happy medium for you without compromising much...

I would go the Gen II route, if anything, just because 5 mil per turn turrets get really old... "which turn am I on again?".

I haven't looked through a Gen II, yet, but I have shot a Gen I and own an AMG. From what I understand, the glass is pretty close between the Gen II and my scope. If I was pressed for budget, I could work with a Gen I, but my AMG is nicer in every way - if the Gen II is on par with the AMG (and I understand it is, if not slightly better in some respects), my suggestion would be the Gen II over the Gen I.

I would go the Gen II route, if anything, just because 5 mil per turn turrets get really old... "which turn am I on again?".

I haven't looked through a Gen II, yet, but I have shot a Gen I and own an AMG. From what I understand, the glass is pretty close between the Gen II and my scope. If I was pressed for budget, I could work with a Gen I, but my AMG is nicer in every way - if the Gen II is on par with the AMG (and I understand it is, if not slightly better in some respects), my suggestion would be the Gen II over the Gen I.

The Gen I can have the 10 mil turret upgrade done by Vortex for $250 for both turrets or $150 for just the elevation turret. If glass isn't the ultra top priority for the OP but he can save some cash and get a Gen I and really wants a 10 mil turrets that might be a more economical option.

I'm doing this for my .338LM that I break out on occasion to shoot (since most matches near me don't allow anything over a .300WM) so glass isn't an ultra concern of mine.

The Gen I hasn't had 5 mil turrets in years. They are all 10 mil now.

I have no issue with my two Spuhr mounts on my gen i or gen ii. SP-4603B for my gen ii on a gas gun. It's their extended length mount. It was mainly designed for us optics lr scopes because of the long erector housing. I got it just because I felt like it wouldn't limit me on future upgrades or mount swapping between rifles.

but to answer your question specifically, I remember that the wedge fit through a groove on the parallax knob.

Mine is in a SP-4006 and as stated, the knnife-edge of the wedge fits between 2 of the knurls on the parallax knob.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4493\/37645447076_73241cd6bb_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Interesting... Didn't know that - but that would make the scope more interesting relative to the Gen II. Still think it's a no brainer, though.

Yup Vortex listened when people said they wanted 10 mils per turn or 25 MOA in the MOA version. The Gen II is still the better scope but the Gen I is no slouch for the price.

The gen II is the tits, buy it! As to the extra power, yeah, if you have it, people tend to use it. If mirage is an issue you can always turn it down. But on those cool crisp mornings, at a mile or further that 27x is pretty sweet lol. Much easier to spot splash and misses with too!

Alright you all talked me into it. I order the gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C MRAD FFP. I'm excited. It was a lot of money to drop but I think in the long run it will be worth it. The smaller reticle and larger magnification range alone I think I will enjoy. I think I would have still enjoyed the gen I a lot too but I doubt I'll ever regret getting the gen II.

Thanks for all the input.

Alright you all talked me into it. I order the gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C MRAD FFP. I'm excited. It was a lot of money to drop but I think in the long run it will be worth it. The smaller reticle and larger magnification range alone I think I will enjoy. I think I would have still enjoyed the gen I a lot too but I doubt I'll ever regret getting the gen II.

Thanks for all the input.

Do not doubt! A great scope with a great eyebox, tons of features, fantastic turrets and really good glass. It will serve you well for a lifetime!

Good choice. It will serve you well and if you can't do it with that scope then you can't do it with any scope. ;)

Gen 11 is a great scope and built like a tank,You will not be sorry.

Good choice,You are going to be spoiled on quality glass.Hope you got lots of cash,good glass does not come cheap.But it is well worth it.

It works, you just have to run the leveling wedge through a slot on the knurled parallax knob cap. See pic I took below.

AIktIBl.jpg

I like the Gen 1 as much as another scope I have that cost more than twice as much. It's great. I know worse scopes with better reputations.