• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 or something else?

VAyoungGunner

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
So i have a handful of questions, to start I'm trying to build/buy a rifle that can reach 1,000 yards for hunting and shooting for fun and do it with precision. My budget is rifle under 2K and optic under 2500. I have to buy it from Cabela's though. I want it to be a 6.5 Creedmoor. MRAD scope (I like MOA but the trend seems to be shifting to MRAD so I want it to stay relevant.)

Im leaning toward a bolt action but a semi wouldn't be bad if it could handle the precision and distance.

The scope I'm leaning for is the Vortex Razor Gen 2 HD the bigger downside is that its 3 pounds leaning towards the 4.5-27 for no other reason than its only 400$ more than the 3x18 and same size.

I'll be using it for 50% hunting (whitetail) and %50 target shooting

I typically shoot in daylight but would like to be able to hit predators on the occasional night time hunt

I typically hunt between 200-700 yards, it is normal to see whitetail at 650 yards for me and I want to be able to reach them.

Target shooting will be out to 1000 yards

Looking for a FFP scope, with great glass that will be reliable.

Rifle price range $1000-$2000
Optic $1000-$2500

PS leaning toward browning hells canyon long range possibly the macmillan version.

I came here to say this. Everything about is of the same quality as the Razor, but at a MUCH lighter weight. You do lose a bit of magnification of both ends of the range, but it's a fantastic optic. I miss mine, and will absolutely be replacing it eventually!

I've had both. The AMG's eyebox is tighter, but the weight difference will be worth it to you.

There are a lot of other scopes that'll fit your needs as well.

MRAD for sure

the diff in experience between bolt and gas/semi are very very different, spend as much time as necessary figuring that one out before jumping in

I recently picked up an AMG and am very, very happy with it. It will be going on a rifle that has similar duty as the op, both hunting and range duty.

With that said I also recently bought a Revic scope. It's not in my hands yet, but I'm quite excited about that one. It's a boat anchor though.

Reactions: VAyoungGunner
Tikka TSR or Bergara BMP topped with AMG on Badger Ordnance, Spuhr, Really Right Stuff or Masterpiece Arms single piece scope mount if 50% for hunting and 50% paper.

Given how far you will be shooting living things, I would probably lean toward a peppier caliber. Perhaps, something in the 7RM or 300WM range, but to each his own.

AMG 6-24x50 is a good recommendation and it would be my top pick for what you want to do. I am messing with one now, and it is an exceedingly nice scope. I've got it in an Aadmount, though.

ILya

Welcome to the Hide VA, you picked a great time to get into the sport with so many options available to you. I'd recommend you go over to https://theeverydaysniper.podbean.com/ and listen to some of the episodes where Frank talks about some of the new bolt guns like the Bergara, Tikka, Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) and the like, I think it might be episode 11? Anyway, some great information from those podcasts.

I think 6.5 Creed is a great choice for what you want to do, with factory Hornady Precision Hunter ammo with 143 ELD-X you get great terminal ballistics well beyond the 700 yard max you are thinking and if you reload then there are other great bullet options as well with the potential to push the bullet faster while still staying within normal pressure ranges (like if you are using AICS style magazines which have the plate removed or using ARC or Alpha mags that allow greater COAL than SAAMI). One thing I would say, putting a 1/2" group at 100 yards is different from placing a one shot kill shot on a deer at 700 yards, you may already know this but for those who may not, when you're dealing with long range ballistics you must get good DOPE and good ballistics programs to understand how your current atmospherics may affect the flight of that bullet and then there is of course the dreaded wind which can quickly wreck havoc on any long range shot. Whatever you choose with rifle and scope (and by the way I also highly recommend the AMG for your purposes as I have a SAC 6.5 Creedmoor with an AMG scope that I use for very similar purposes), get comfortable with it and know your own limitations. Get a 10" steel plate and take your rifle out and with a cold bore, shoot one shot at 300 yards in conditions that would mimic your hunting situation, did you hit the plate, then go out to 400 yards with the next cold bore, one shot, did you hit it, if so then go out further, etc. until you are confident you can hit that 10" plate out to distance on multiple occasions with multiple wind conditions all with the first shot because if you consistently miss beyond say 400 yards with somewhat windy conditions, then it's going to be far worse at further distances.

The reason I bring this up is because I think many shooters getting into long range have a misunderstanding of what ballistics software can do for you, remember, it is a tool and like any tool if not used correctly can yield poor results. I can go into Hornady, Berger and other websites and input some atmospherics and bullet info along with muzzle velocity, but that just gives you an "idea", you must true your data from your DOPE. So if the ballistics software tells you that your bullet will require 7.6 mils of adjustment at 1000 yards, but your DOPE says you consistently needed 7.8 mils or 8.0 or whatever, then your DOPE trumps whatever the ballistics software is telling you and you now have to true your software, usually by adjusting your BC on the bullet so that your drops in the software match your drops in real world.

Again, I realize you may already know this, but it is for the benefit of the community because I've been in your shoes (newbies) and even though I've been shooting for many years I'm still learning and understanding which is why I love the Hide, great resources from experienced individuals giving great advice.

Thanks all for the input, at half the weight the AMG is winning me over at half the weight! Wish it came in the razors color the bronze is nice. I have my sights on the browning hells canyon long range, but think now that I have the scope nailed down I need to go back to the drawing board and make certain about rifle choice.

Definitely want a bolt action and also like the 6.5 Creedmoor for the caliber. There are a lot of other good choices, that may have more options but once you pass 600 I like the low drag of Creedmoor. I have a crappy Remington 770 in 270 with a Nikon monarch and I can hit 500 yard targets consistently so I think upgrading my gear then getting to a proper 1000 yard precision class will be my next step into longer range shots.

Thanks for all the inputs I’m sad I can have a range monster with the razor on it cuz I love everything about it.

Thanks again all now for more research!

Reactions: goin_long
The Bergara BMP looks awesome but 11 pound without optic is a big donkey, I wish it was a bit lighter.

I just received, mounted and zero'd my Amg this afternoon. Replacing a Bushnell lrhsi 4.5-18 because I wanted a little more top end mag and a finer reticle. For whatever reason I've always avoided the 6-24 range scopes. In my head 6x on the low end is too high for a hunting rifle. It's not as bad as I thought but not as good as the 4.5-27. It really does seem like a mini G2 razor.

It's on a Q Fix in 6.5cm. This combo would check all your boxes except for price. I've always liked Browning's rifles also. Looked real hard at a Hell's Canyon LR Mcmillan in 28nosler burning have no practical need for it. One place I see you possibly selling yourself short is where you said you'd like to be able to hunt at night. Your options for mounting a clip on or other device would be more limited with the Browning.

Reactions: VAyoungGunner
I just received, mounted and zero'd my Amg this afternoon. Replacing a Bushnell lrhsi 4.5-18 because I wanted a little more top end mag and a finer reticle. For whatever reason I've always avoided the 6-24 range scopes. In my head 6x on the low end is too high for a hunting rifle. It's not as bad as I thought but not as good as the 4.5-27. It really does seem like a mini G2 razor.

It's on a Q Fix in 6.5cm. This combo would check all your boxes except for price. I've always liked Browning's rifles also. Looked real hard at a Hell's Canyon LR Mcmillan in 28nosler burning have no practical need for it. One place I see you possibly selling yourself short is where you said you'd like to be able to hunt at night. Your options for mounting a clip on or other device would be more limited with the Browning.

The McMillan is nice but I bought the 20 moa pic rail already to outfit a hells canyon, I honestly don’t feel like the stock is worth $900

For whatever reason I've always avoided the 6-24 range scopes. In my head 6x on the low end is too high for a hunting rifle. It's not as bad as I thought but not as good as the 4.5-27. It really does seem like a mini G2 razor.
I used to be in the same boat, ask me a few years ago if I'd ever consider a 6-24 for a big game rifle and I would have laughed, but I live and hunt in Colorado where we can have some pretty wide open spaces and realized that FOV was more the limiting factor, only one time did I have a bull elk walk up on me at about 25 yards away but by the time I brought the rifle to my shoulder he was gone like a banshee. So my new "limit" is 20' FOV at the low end which gets me 10' at 50 yards which I figure I can still easily get the crosshair without getting lost in the sight picture. Deer are going to be quite a bit smaller than a big bull elk so I would think the AMG with it's 20.4' FOV at 100y (better than some 5-25's at 5x) would be more than sufficient unless you hunt in the thick stuff consistently where having greater FOV might offer more of an advantage, in that case I might recommend an LRTS 4.5-18x44 or the new Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 or better yet the TT315M but that is out of most's budget. But to be quite honest, I don't think you'll find better glass for less price and near the weight of the AMG, maybe the S&B 3-20x50 (not the Ultra Short, but that would be great too if you can afford it, but the standard 3-20 can be had for $3k if you're patient and less if you go used) if you like the reticle, that is another phenomenal scope. Another option would be the March 3-24x52 which is an amazing scope for what it offers, but some shy away with its finicky parallax and eyebox, for me personally it's more about the reticle and that's why I've chosen the AMG over the others for now.

Not trying to hijack the thread (was about to ask about the same scopes), but on that price range is there any other scopes worth looking at?

Not trying to hijack the thread (was about to ask about the same scopes), but on that price range is there any other scopes worth looking at?
Kali, there are quite a few scopes in the $1k - $2500 price point the OP mentions, but it's highly dependent on your particular use and preferences. If your situation mimics the OP's and you want to keep below 30oz for the scope then your options are pretty limited which is why the AMG is the most recommended scope of the bunch.

Reactions: CSTactical
If the weight wasn’t the issues the amg would come in second? I’m looking to a minimum of x25 and around 2k. All the research makes me not wanting to buy a scope lol

If the weight wasn’t the issues the amg would come in second? I’m looking to a minimum of x25 and around 2k. All the research makes me not wanting to buy a scope lol

Second to the Gen II razor? I don't think so, granted i haven't been behind the AMG, i have plans for one this summer less a lighter scope in the same or similar mag range with quality glass pans out. Every indication i've seen puts the AMG optically above the Gen II razor.

If weight is a concern and you still want that kind of mag but sub 30oz and lower than $2500 the Mark 5HD ought to warrant a serious look. There aren't that many reviews in the wild but the scope is nice. The only optics i compared it to while i had it was the ATACR F1 and my USO SN-3 it's a ton of glass for the money. So long as you don't mind using a TMR reticle.