• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex razor hd gen 2

360precision

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
So out of every thread I have read regarding the razor hd gen 2 this scope does not have many if any flaws for it's price point in comparison to other scopes . Has any one had any tracking issues or zero stop/ turret sloppiness. Glass quality, reticles I get it there are alot of options out there that are better . But for $2500 I want to hear some real world experience flaws about this scope that would make one want to buy top dollar scope intsead.

I’m interested in seeing what others have to say as well on this scope.

They are iron pigs. Not sure it’s a flaw per se, but they weigh more than it seems like they should.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
One, $2500 is too much. You could easily snag one used for $1800ish. Two, it's heavy. Three, no floating dot reticle. I loved the turrets and glass on mine, and it tracked true. Some people take issue with how the Zero is set, but I actually really enjoyed it. You can use the marks on the inside of the turret to get pretty close to a 2 shot zero every time. Combined with the warranty, it's going to be hard to be at the sub-2k price point.

What????? There are no flaws with Vortex..... Be Careful, those are dangerous waters. There are too many Vortex fanboys on this site to say anything negative about them.

Personally I don’t care for Vortex scopes. They are what they are. They are a decent scope for what you pay. I feel there are better scopes in the same price range or even less, but everyone sees things differently.

I like the company, accessories, and warranty, just don’t really care for the scopes. Get behind a few different models in the same catorgory and you may agree.

What????? There are no flaws with Vortex..... Be Careful, those are dangerous waters. There are too many Vortex fanboys on this site to say anything negative about them.

Personally I don’t care for Vortex scopes. They are what they are. They are a decent scope for what you pay. I feel there are better scopes in the same price range or even less, but everyone sees things differently.

I like the company, accessories, and warranty, just don’t really care for the scopes. Get behind a few different models in the same catorgory and you may agree.

I'm with you here.

Reactions: Poorboyr
If you get one used for 1800 or less you can’t get any more bang for the buck than that. Might even be the best scope out there at any price point. I’ve got 2 and love them. Only other scope currently on the market I’d like to check out is the Athlon ares etr.

Ive got two, the biggest "flaw" is the weight but I actually like it because it just feels bullet proof to me. Tracking has been true and glass is very good. I have scratched the finish in one area and it is hard to touch up if that is you thing. One other thing is the turrets, they are a little tight but again, I like that others may not.

The ppl that say they don’t get vortex are the same ppl that won’t get an iPhone but have a shitty Android with a cracked screen with T-Mobile lol flaws are the weight and if a pound bothers you then you might not be man enough for guns anyway.

Reactions: Rog2069
I currently have a gen 2 pst and was planning on upgrading to a razor gen 2. I'm wanting to better glass, turrets etc..

So for the price range of sub 2k$ is there a better option?

Don't like the eyebox despite the entire internet saying they're so flexible; have bought and sold multiples. The 4.5-27 model just never presents a full circular image for my eyes. Glass is not the worst, not the best. Decent turrets, illumination, and great warranty/service. I like the 3-18 better, but only because weight doesn't bother me, but I think that mag range has better, cheaper, lighter players.

So out of every thread I have read regarding the razor hd gen 2 this scope does not have many if any flaws for it's price point in comparison to other scopes . Has any one had any tracking issues or zero stop/ turret sloppiness. Glass quality, reticles I get it there are alot of options out there that are better . But for $2500 I want to hear some real world experience flaws about this scope that would make one want to buy top dollar scope intsead.

Like I answered in the other thread where you asked a similar question, I have one of the first to hit the market still and clicks are the same as when I got it. Nice and audible and tactile. No slop. Same with the other Razor II scopes I have used for years in matches.

I went to the Razor II from using 3 S&B 5-25s in matches for about 8 years prior. When I got the first Razor II I put it up against the S&B and had multiple shooters on different days look through both and all said they saw no difference in the glass. I didn;t either. The 1C reticle was much nicer in the Razor II and I have since moved to the 2C for matches and really like it. Makes for easy holds and not too busy. Eye box is great behind the Razor II and about the best I have ever used. So easy to get behind and a nice large round sight picture. Easy to get behind in many awkward positions that come up in PRS matches and not just prone.

People say the zeroing is a pain but people that think it's a pain to zero need to realize the positive aspect you are getting from the extra steps. You are getting a perfect zero as you are zeroing without clicks. You don;t have to be a little high or low or a little right or left. You can get a perfect zero. And the more you do it the easier the process becomes. Pretty simple now for me. Watch the video on it on the Vortex site or youtube. It's not hard. Take cap off, loosen allens, adjust center screw until zeroed, tighten allens and then put cap back on. Taking caps off and using the center screw are the only different steps than other scopes and you get a little tool with the scope that makes these easy.

The only real con is the weight which is about 8-10 ounces more than similar scopes as my S&Bs were 38.5 ounces but even that isn't bad as you mentioned on match rifles. And mounted I felt no difference between the two in carrying rifle or handling. If weight was an issue then the AMG is there. You are choosing one of the most popular scopes around and a scope doesn't become that if there are any major issues. And if you do have an issue you know Vortex will take care of it. Even if it's accidental damage which is a great thing to have as people drop rifles and do other bad things from time to time. Even if it got caught in a house fire the scope is covered.

If you’re paying anywhere close to $2500 for a razor gen 2, you’re doing it wrong.

The weight is the only thing I could bitch about but then again Im not running and gunning. I have one 3-18 and (4) 4.5-27 Ive been running them for a few years. Need any issues, clear glass and great tracking. I went with the AMG on 2 rifles to save some weight. Recently I picked up a 525I so Ill run them side by side see how they compare.

I would love to hear about the better scopes at the same or lower price.

The weight comments crack me up while I think about the "gamers" building and running 30 lb. Dashers. LOL

I've got both the AMG and the Razor Gen 2. For my eyes, both scopes work well. Glass is good (not excellent), eyebox is fine (try a US Optic for tight), turrets are audible and tactile, the scopes track well and are repeatable; I've found no reason to spend a lot more money for what little improvement I might get elsewhere.

I would love to hear about the better scopes at the same or lower price.

Only ones that come to mind are Athlon Cronus and Leupold mk5.

I’d still take the gen 2 or amg over them just based on Vortex reputation.

Anything less than ~2k ish area, I dont really mess with, regardless of brand.

i have razor2 hd's 1-6 on my 3 gun AR and 3-18 on my dmr/gas gun AR. real nice glass with both, no complaints. they are relatively heavy but neither are on especially light guns. just over $1900 for the 3-18 back in may with a 13% off sale. i really don't like the zeroing vs my nf nxs's but once it's done it's done unless i change ammo of course.

I have one that I sent back for not holding zero and the turrets were a little sloppy I sent it fri and got it back the next fri with new internals and new turrets

Have had a Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 since they first came out and haven't run into any cosmetic, tracking or optical issues. Love the 2C reticle and sometimes would prefer a center dot while other times am glad it has the open center.
A tad heavy but I know it will hold up due to its internals so I am willing to have that tradeoff. Zeroing takes a bit of time but as Rob01 said, it gets easier the more you do it.
There is cost vs what you get and the Vortex hits all my points.

Like I answered in the other thread where you asked a similar question, I have one of the first to hit the market still and clicks are the same as when I got it. Nice and audible and tactile. No slop. Same with the other Razor II scopes I have used for years in matches.

I went to the Razor II from using 3 S&B 5-25s in matches for about 8 years prior. When I got the first Razor II I put it up against the S&B and had multiple shooters on different days look through both and all said they saw no difference in the glass. I didn;t either. The 1C reticle was much nicer in the Razor II and I have since moved to the 2C for matches and really like it. Makes for easy holds and not too busy. Eye box is great behind the Razor II and about the best I have ever used. So easy to get behind and a nice large round sight picture. Easy to get behind in many awkward positions that come up in PRS matches and not just prone.

People say the zeroing is a pain but people that think it's a pain to zero need to realize the positive aspect you are getting from the extra steps. You are getting a perfect zero as you are zeroing without clicks. You don;t have to be a little high or low or a little right or left. You can get a perfect zero. And the more you do it the easier the process becomes. Pretty simple now for me. Watch the video on it on the Vortex site or youtube. It's not hard. Take cap off, loosen allens, adjust center screw until zeroed, tighten allens and then put cap back on. Taking caps off and using the center screw are the only different steps than other scopes and you get a little tool with the scope that makes these easy.

The only real con is the weight which is about 8-10 ounces more than similar scopes as my S&Bs were 38.5 ounces but even that isn't bad as you mentioned on match rifles. And mounted I felt no difference between the two in carrying rifle or handling. If weight was an issue then the AMG is there. You are choosing one of the most popular scopes around and a scope doesn't become that if there are any major issues. And if you do have an issue you know Vortex will take care of it. Even if it's accidental damage which is a great thing to have as people drop rifles and do other bad things from time to time. Even if it got caught in a house fire the scope is covered.
Thanks for responding to both posts I feel this will help others for sure because it is such a popular scope. I do feel that is alot of what it has going for it in that alot of guys run them and they work . The person who told me they didn't like it only because of the sloppy clicks on the turret and zero set is someone reputable and just wanted other opinions.
In all reality it is coming down to the point now that I feel spending that extra money and getting a nightforce atacr or khales is better money spent . Even if you have to save for alot longer to gather funds.
For now I'm going to follow Frank's advise and get a nightforce shv f1 4-14 and save up for a atacr f1 7-35 mil-xt.
Anyone know where the nightforce deals are let me know! Thanks for the help.

Your money to spend but from someone who has been down the rabbit hole of scopes, it's a deep hole. Lol Luckily I have the years of learning the lessons but have fun on the journey. It's fun.

Reactions: chasedeer
If you’re paying anywhere close to $2500 for a razor gen 2, you’re doing it wrong.
I know you can find these scopes for a deal on here in the for sale section and I would definitely buy one of these scopes for around $1700 Total cost. But other than that with tax shipping these scopes aren't much less than $2300.

I know you can find these scopes for a deal on here in the for sale section and I would definitely buy one of these scopes for around $1700 Total cost. But other than that with tax shipping these scopes aren't much less than $2300.

That absolutely is not true.

You need to call vendors or look around for discount codes.

The absolute most you should pay is 2175 shipped.

There are vendors on the hide that run specials all the time and they are sub 2k.

Never just add to cart or pay online pricing.

IMHO, Razor Gen 2 is the best value in precision tactical scopes. It's noticeably better than the $1k scopes, but only slightly lacking compared to the $2500-$3000 scopes.

That's not to say it's the "best" scope, just the best value IMHO. Closest competitor is probably the Athlon Cronus. There isn't anything you can't do with either of those scopes. The more expensive stuff just makes it more pleasant and the scopes themselves are more refined.

Razor is a great scope. I've owned 2.
Had no issues with either.
Moved on to nightforce but that was because the budget allowed me to.

Razor is a great scope. I've owned 2.
Had no issues with either.
Moved on to nightforce but that was because the budget allowed me to.
I know it's highly subjective but to your eyes do you find a noticeable difference in the quality of glass between the night force vs the razor?

Re: zero'ing being a pain... you don't HAVE to follow Vortex's zero'ing procedure for the scope. It works, but it can be fidgety, and I find that the inner adjustment turns WAY too easily for my liking. I have a hard time turning it gently enough to get just enough movement on it, personally. So, here's what I do... I turn the turrets to establish zero. If I need to go below the zero stop, I have to unlock and rotate the inner mechanism to get me enough headroom first. Once I'm zero'ed that way, I lock the turrets, loosen the set screws, unlock the turrets, and return them to zero. Lock the turrets. Tighten the set screws properly. Done. That gets me zero'ed to the closest tenth (or closest 1/4 MOA). So far, that's been fine for me. And, that's pretty much how you zero most other scopes.

I don't know that the turret locking/unlocking bits are needed, but they make me feel better, so... ha ha.

To each his own I only Find it heavy glass is clear and great tracking

Until you put all the scopes in front of you, at the same time, in the same conditions, its impossible to make a fair assessment of what is "better". I will say after looking at lots of high end scopes, I haven't found anything cheaper than a Razor 2 that is better, and there are more expensive scopes that aren't as good. There's a reason why they hold their value and are always on a ton of rifles at the finale.

I know it's highly subjective but to your eyes do you find a noticeable difference in the quality of glass between the night force vs the razor?

In my opinion the NF does edge the razor gen 2 out in glass quality by a little bit.
The question is it worth another 1000$ to you.

I have a Vortex Gen I 5-20x50 mounted on my AI AT. It has been terrific though I have difficulty seeing targets past 1,500 yards at 20x (I also had trouble hitting a 1,450 yard target that I could see but that's another story). I recently acquired a Gen. II 4.5-27x56 with an EBR-2C reticle at a wonderful price and will be moving it to my AI AT shortly. At their retail and street price points these scopes are tough to beat. YMMV.

Harry