• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56

You’d think that would be the case but it is not often enough. When I shoot with friends and we look through each other’s scopes the image always seems a bit off, you play with side focus and it never appears to be fully in focus, but some fine tuning of the diopter clears it right up. So while we use diopter for reticle it can also be fined tuned for focus. I’ve adopted a new method of adjusting diopter and it has definitely increased the overall IQ through my scopes than the typical wall/sky method. I think wall/sky gets you about 90% there and the fine tuning gets you the rest of the way.
Thanks for the input, what is your new method of adjusting the dioptor? Please share

You’d think that would be the case but it is not often enough. When I shoot with friends and we look through each other’s scopes the image always seems a bit off, you play with side focus and it never appears to be fully in focus, but some fine tuning of the diopter clears it right up. So while we use diopter for reticle it can also be fined tuned for focus. I’ve adopted a new method of adjusting diopter and it has definitely increased the overall IQ through my scopes than the typical wall/sky method. I think wall/sky gets you about 90% there and the fine tuning gets you the rest of the way.

I never touch it after setting it. Set it and forget it.

And I didn’t think he would actually be using the scope but just looking through to get an idea of reticle it would be fine to not mess with it. I have done it many times with friends scopes.

Once I get it set right I’m the same way 👍
And I didn’t think he would actually be using the scope but just looking through to get an idea of reticle it would be fine to not mess with it. I have done it many times with friends scopes.
If just the reticle I agree, but if you want to see how good a scope is optically you will either get lucky or want to mess with the diopter if things don’t look quite right. I would not do this without asking first, but I think a lot of the comments of “I looked through scope X at the range and thought it was meh” have to do with this. When I was younger I found this process much more forgiving so not sure if it has to do with aging eyes, different prescriptions, etc

Once I get it set right I’m the same way 👍

If just the reticle I agree, but if you want to see how good a scope is optically you will either get lucky or want to mess with the diopter if things don’t look quite right. I would not do this without asking first, but I think a lot of the comments of “I looked through scope X at the range and thought it was meh” have to do with this. When I was younger I found this process much more forgiving so not sure if it has to do with aging eyes, different prescriptions, etc

I must be super lucky then with my mid 50's eyes and glasses looking through other's scopes. LOL

Thanks for the input, what is your new method of adjusting the dioptor? Please share
I’ve posted in other threads, will have to wait until I get to my computer. It is a blend of what I’ve gleaned from ILya, HK Dave and ZCO over the years. I would say for anyone using the sky/wall method and you’ve never had an issue it may not be worth it, but if you’re buying expensive scopes and feel sometimes that you’re left wanting more optically then it might be worth it to try fine tuning your diopter.

Also, it should be obvious but one other area of fine tuning is with parallax, you should be using the diopter to ensure parallax is corrected as much as possible.

You’ve never looked through “my” scopes 😂.
Man I have 20/15 and on some days 20/13 vision because of lasik.
I was looking through one of my bling buddies scopes and it was so distorted even with parallax adjustments. His diopter setting was just too extreme for my eyes.

Man I have 20/15 and on some days 20/13 vision because of lasik.
I was looking through one of my bling buddies scopes and it was so distorted even with parallax adjustments. His diopter setting was just too extreme for my eyes.
I would believe that if he is one who shoots without prescription glasses. Not sure why anyone would do that though. I know some probably do though but I like seeing when I shoot ;)

Reactions: oso1 and JB.IC
I don’t think he has prescription glasses but needs them. Some people just don’t care. It’s their life I guess lol

And some don't know any better. LOL You should open his eyes both figuratively and literally.

“Man that $500 scope look just as good as my $3000 scope.”

“You blind mfer put your glasses on.”

I don't know the "friend" that well and I don't really like messing with people's dioptors, just like I dont like them changing mine.
I must be super lucky then with my mid 50's eyes and glasses looking through other's scopes. LOL
I'm 53 and do use prescription glasses. I don't know the "friend" that well and I don't really like messing with people's dioptors, just like I dont like them changing mine.

Here you go (see attached). I am always looking for better/easier ways to build the mouse trap so if anyone has any recommendations or thoughts on this process I am open to hearing them, as mentioned above the standard way was not working for me much of the time whereas this "fine tune" method has given me the most positive real world results.

Attachments

• Diopter Adjustment.pdf
    127.2 KB · Views: 384
Here you go (see attached). I am always looking for better/easier ways to build the mouse trap so if anyone has any recommendations or thoughts on this process I am open to hearing them, as mentioned above the standard way was not working for me much of the time whereas this "fine tune" method has given me the most positive real world results.
Thank you. I'm going to try your method

Unrelated question but since there are so many vortex users here I figured I’d ask.

Did vortex stop making the Razor AMG?

Unrelated question but since there are so many vortex users here I figured I’d ask.

Did vortex stop making the Razor AMG?
Apparently so, I found this out like a week or two ago. Rumor is there will be an update to the lineup but yeah it appears they've stopped production of the 6-24 AMG.

Reactions: JB.IC
Ohhhh new model you say. Alright freezing my account now cause I can’t handle this no more

Ohhhh new model you say. Alright freezing my account now cause I can’t handle this no more
allegedly-supposedly.gif

Has anyone that send their gen3s to vortex to fix turret issues hear anything about turn around time yet?

Has anyone that send their gen3s to vortex to fix turret issues hear anything about turn around time yet?
I’m gonna contact them tonight. Probably get it shipped by Thursday cause I’m not using it at the moment

Reactions: Islas82
@DownhillFromHere sent his back. Maybe he can update.
Email from Vortex said expected turnaround is 6-7 days after the scope arrives. It got picked up from drop-off point this morning and UPS tracking says it will arrive at Vortex sometime Thursday. Then probably another four days back.

So two weeks. Sigh. My Black-Friday-sale MDT ACC chassis arrived today, which was the last piece of my latest build... except I sold the extra scope I was going to stick on it because it was supposed to get a Razor... o dear, such a thing to have to endure....

Seen one at cabelas in Edmonton today, usually stop in at one of the two stores when I drive through the city.

The brief time I played with it, it was fairly impressive. The parallax and mag ring were both smooth and not too stiff. Elevation turret felt good, but it was hard to dial .25moa without going past your mark, didn’t compare the windage to it.

At $4,199 Canuck bucks, it’s not even on my radar, but that’s just my budget. If I didn’t have so much else going on, would like to have one.

G3 just arrived, very happy with glass, closer to ZCO than it is to XTR3.

How is the LHT FFP 4.5-22 glass comparatively? I'm waiting on one for a lightweight hunter but could still swap for something else.
Whenever optics planet delivers my Gen iii, I’ll be comparing it to my LHT FFP 4.5-22 since it’s the one that gave me the “quality glass” bug.

Reactions: Bravo6
LHT is comparable to our V6 with ease going on memory. I haven’t had time to directly compare it to anything. It’s no AMG though and in that light won’t compare to the Gen III because the AMG is no Gen III lol. But for its class it’s excellent.

I kind of want the LHT for my AR10

I kind of want the LHT for my AR10
Id probably get a more duty rated weapon for an ar10. I don't know if the lht has the integrity. This is coming from a guy who hasnt experienced issues with his 4.5-22x50 lht, but I have drop tested my 3-15x42 lht and it definitely shifts poi.

My HDIII arrived yesterday afternoon and the first thing I did was twist the turrets....no issue for me. They felt very similar to my XRSIII. The locking portion is 'stiff', but I'm sure with some use it'll ease up some.

My HDIII arrived yesterday afternoon and the first thing I did was twist the turrets....no issue for me. They felt very similar to my XRSIII. The locking portion is 'stiff', but I'm sure with some use it'll ease up some.
How is the sound and feel? Are they clunky and loud?

How is the sound and feel? Are they clunky and loud?

Some guys must be gay for turrets - they are fine, softer than some, but not mushy like old school Bushnell. Controls are great quality and good feel IMHO - stiffer than ZCO and lighter than XTR3, but, like the glass, closer to ZCO than XTR3.

Reactions: Sjc141
Some guys must be gay for turrets - they are fine, softer than some, but not mushy like old school Bushnell. Controls are great quality and good feel IMHO - stiffer than ZCO and lighter than XTR3, but, like the glass, closer to ZCO than XTR3.
Nah they just have expectations which is understandable given the price point and noted inconsistency in users experience. Turret was a large selling point of this optic. Obviously the glass and mag range are as well. Mine are meh for money. Which is why I’m letting them take a look. It’s the worst turret i currently own maybe besides the LHT.

Some guys must be gay for turrets - they are fine, softer than some, but not mushy like old school Bushnell.
It would appear just from this thread alone there is a range of sample variance with regard to the turrets, mine have settled down some and have a nice click value now - not as inconsistent from when I first got it (makes me think it is a grease issue?), also don't feel as heavy (hard to turn) as when originally out of the box; however, my parallax is still very hard to turn and almost can't with just two fingers. I am considering sending it in to see if they can free up the parallax and just have them "check" the turrets.
...like the glass, closer to ZCO than XTR3.
I would agree, I am currently conducting a multi scope comparison (Vortex Gen III 6-36, Schmidt PM II 5-25, Schmidt PM II 3-27, March 5-40 Gen II, Burris XTR III 5.5-30) the Schmidt 5-25 is well known scope in the community for its optical excellence and serves as my baseline (wish I still had my TT), I have been surprised at how well the Gen III has held with regard to color, contrast, CA and resolution throughout the magnification range.

^If sample variance, then agree that's a bad sign - you should send back if parallax is that stiff. My controls all take roughly the same amount of force, which is just a bit above ZCO force.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Id probably get a more duty rated weapon for an ar10. I don't know if the lht has the integrity. This is coming from a guy who hasnt experienced issues with his 4.5-22x50 lht, but I have drop tested my 3-15x42 lht and it definitely shifts poi.
I have read some of the crazy thread on drop testing the LHT, I'm not sure I fully agree with the methodology. I have the LHT and I've pondered its use on a gas rifle with offset RDS, a friend sent me his NX8 2.5-20 as I'd like to get another opportunity to review and rule out sample variance from the first NX8 I owned that was an optical mess. I could do a drop test of both (LHT and NX8) but I don't think my friend would appreciate that 🤭😁

I have read some of the crazy thread on drop testing the LHT, I'm not sure I fully agree with the methodology. I have the LHT and I've pondered its use on a gas rifle with offset RDS, a friend sent me his NX8 2.5-20 as I'd like to get another opportunity to review and rule out sample variance from the first NX8 I owned that was an optical mess. I could do a drop test of both (LHT and NX8) but I don't think my friend would appreciate that 🤭😁
You could smack the two of them together until one breaks and declare a winner.

My drop test was an accident, rifle leaned up against the tailgate, somehow it was pushed and it fell on the group, impacting the side the optic and pasture ground surface. I had a 3/4" shit of zero until I corrected it. This same thing happened to one my rifles with a nx8 4-32x50 cept it hit a concrete floor hard enough it damaged the turret cover. The rifle didn't lose zero or tracking. My rzr 4.5-22x50 has been flawless but it hasn't been dropped.

My drop test was an accident, rifle leaned up against the tailgate, somehow it was pushed and it fell on the group, impacting the side the optic and pasture ground surface. I had a 3/4" shit of zero until I corrected it. This same thing happened to one my rifles with a nx8 4-32x50 cept it hit a concrete floor hard enough it damaged the turret cover. The rifle didn't lose zero or tracking. My rzr 4.5-22x50 has been flawless but it hasn't been dropped.
Now see, that is the best kind of drop test - a real world scenario, unfortunately not many of us care to drop our rifles let alone on concrete (ouch), but it does let us know how well things hold up. I also wonder how much the rings/mount have an effect on POA/POI shift vs. the scope itself but I'm sure this was discussed ad nauseum in the "other" thread.

Now see, that is the best kind of drop test - a real world scenario, unfortunately not many of us care to drop our rifles let alone on concrete (ouch), but it does let us know how well things hold up. I also wonder how much the rings/mount have an effect on POA/POI shift vs. the scope itself but I'm sure this was discussed ad nauseum in the "other" thread.
Yes the whole system is being tested, all my lighter rifles run NF ultralight or Hawkins 4 screw lightweight rings on pic rails. Neither of these two rifles had actions with integral rail so lot of tolerances stacked that could have moved.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Guys, it's all definitions and what each of us 'feel'. Clicks do not feel like my 22+ yr old PMII, but very similar to/slightly stiffer then my XRS III. Parallax/zoom knobs very smooth. I don't count clicks when I'm raising elev, I just spin it to my number, so feeling/hearing/etc each individual click isn't an issue. Will be mounting it on my custom M700/Bartlein/A5 this weekend.

Just took delivery of mine, and yup... slightly more than yours... not quite halfway in-between but definitely off by more than yours. Is there an adjustment for this or "just the way it is..." ? (gonna shift my OCD into overdrive... ;) )
That's too funny, my ADD and OCD often conflict with one another 🤪

For what it’s worth, the parallax adjustment ring on both my Razor Gen 3s are as stiff as the magnification adjustment ring on all my Razor Gen 2s.

And the magnification adjustment ring on both my Razor Gen 3s feel like the parallax adjustment ring on all my Razor Gen 2s.

Confusing, huh?

I’m not sweating it, although a buddy who tried the parallax adjustment asked if they’re making a throw lever for it.

Just took delivery of mine, and yup... slightly more than yours... not quite halfway in-between but definitely off by more than yours. Is there an adjustment for this or "just the way it is..." ? (gonna shift my OCD into overdrive... ;) )
IMG_0028.jpg

:(...

• Sad
Reactions: Islas82
Just sent mine off today to see if they can make the turret a little more bearable.
Am just waiting to hear feedback from people that sent them in, see if they can really make a difference before mine goes. If not it will go on the PX.