• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56

No one really needs that high of a quality of glass. It’s more of a want. But the mechanical quality is needed.
I disagree, only because as we get older we cannot see nearly as good as someone half our age. Glass is subjective, you need better glass to see you gotta buy what's right for you and your budget.

Reactions: high right
I disagree, only because as we get older we cannot see nearly as good as someone half our age. Glass is subjective, you need better glass to see you gotta buy what's right for you and your budget.
👍

I'm up here in Canada and have one... I believe I saw that Prophet River have some in stock as well.
Prophet River is in the same province, and even with the amount of driving I do every week, it’s quite a ways out of the way.

20220130_125728.jpg

Got the Gen 3 out today. Very happy with everything about mine

Ran my Gen III in a match for the first time today. Zeroing was a breeze. Glass was great. Tracking seemed great. The turrets could be better. I had two stages where the elevation turret locked on me. Guess I’ll have to use the oring trick. Anyone have the size they used?

Last edited:
Reactions: S3th
I haven’t had any problems with my elevation turret dropping but I tried an O ring just for the hell of it after reading about turret drop here.

I think it was 1-5/8 IDx 1-7/8 ODx 1/8 and it stretched out and fit between the turret and housing.

Go look back through the thread to be sure.

I got this assortment from Jeggs or Summit years ago. It was like $15-20 and is pretty handy. Performance Tool W5202

65E5CFE4-CDC8-47A4-8B3D-C1FEBBE348FB.jpeg

2216B138-CCCB-46F4-87F4-1BCB7F1FA844.jpeg

mines off a little too, but not enough to be confusing or anything.
Yea I received mine in an open box and then discovered the indicator line was slightly off. The company I bought it from swapped it out for me. The new one is perfect. If it bothers you I am certain vortex would fix it or send you a replacement.

This thread is inundated with comparison questions, generally the GenIII and ATACR, and it seems the two are evenly matched. But I have a PMII 5-25 LP (from several years ago) that I'm considering downloading for the GenIII given the elevation adjustments. I really like the Schott glass from the euros, it's why I have downloaded just about all my Japanese stuff. So, a comparison between a PMII and GenIII Razor would be very interesting. I guess I feel the NF and Razor are pretty evenly matched, but the SB might still hold the top spot compared to the Razor. Wrong? If so, $3k is a steel in my book

Reactions: EscapeVelocity
My G3 just arrived... quick first impressions. Noticeably better in the CA department than XTR3 this is replacing. Seems to be brighter than what I remember from my NX8. Looking at a white fire hydrant roughly 80 yards away, it's bright AF but has zero CA. XTR3 made this hydrant radiate blue. Weight wasn't noticeable. Turrets are kinda stiff but I don't mind. I can dial up and down without the turret locking itself. Clicks and feel reminds me of my NX8 turrets which I LOVED. Magnification is ring is fantasic. Parallax adjustment is stiff.

This thread is inundated with comparison questions, generally the GenIII and ATACR, and it seems the two are evenly matched. But I have a PMII 5-25 LP (from several years ago) that I'm considering downloading for the GenIII given the elevation adjustments. I really like the Schott glass from the euros, it's why I have downloaded just about all my Japanese stuff. So, a comparison between a PMII and GenIII Razor would be very interesting. I guess I feel the NF and Razor are pretty evenly matched, but the SB might still hold the top spot compared to the Razor. Wrong? If so, $3k is a steel in my book
If you are preferring the neutral to warm color tone of the Schmidt glass vs. the tendency of Japanese glass to have a more bluish color cast, then I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the Gen III - I find the color cast to be very neutral. Resolution and DOF is stunning on the 6-36 and I think you will find it very favorable to your PM II. That being said, I do not have a Schmidt sitting in my lineup right now so cannot make a direct comparison so it would be good to have someone who sets both up properly for their eyes to give a side by side report.

Reactions: Bravo6 and JB.IC
If you are preferring the neutral to warm color tone of the Schmidt glass vs. the tendency of Japanese glass to have a more bluish color cast, then I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the Gen III - I find the color cast to be very neutral. Resolution and DOF is stunning on the 6-36 and I think you will find it very favorable to your PM II. That being said, I do not have a Schmidt sitting in my lineup right now so cannot make a direct comparison so it would be good to have someone who sets both up properly for their eyes to give a side by side report.
Actually, that exactly what I prefer. I just never realized it lol.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Actually, that exactly what I prefer. I just never realized it lol.
Me too. The Japanese glass is getting better in this regard, before this new Gen III razor, March had the most color neutral, maybe Nightforce ATACR line got close but I never spent enough time with the ATACR to do low light testing which is where you really begin to see the effects of the blueish color cast. I should note my Burris XTR III also doesn't suffer from this blue, my guess is the newer high end scopes from Japan are getting more neutral, but 5+ years ago not so much. Here's an example when I did an LRF review a couple years ago, notice how the Vortex Fury and Nikon Laserforce look "blue" as compared to the Minox. I much prefer neutral to warm and for my eyes I can spot detail better especially in low light situations, but everyone's eyes are different and some are not bothered by the blue cast at all. Again, with the Gen III in preliminary testing I could not discern any blue cast, I think this will prove to be a very neutral scope.

20180407_Kilo-Fury-Laserforce_Comparison.jpg

Me too. The Japanese glass is getting better in this regard, before this new Gen III razor, March had the most color neutral, maybe Nightforce ATACR line got close but I never spent enough time with the ATACR to do low light testing which is where you really begin to see the effects of the blueish color cast. I should note my Burris XTR III also doesn't suffer from this blue, my guess is the newer high end scopes from Japan are getting more neutral, but 5+ years ago not so much. Here's an example when I did an LRF review a couple years ago, notice how the Vortex Fury and Nikon Laserforce look "blue" as compared to the Minox. I much prefer neutral to warm and for my eyes I can spot detail better especially in low light situations, but everyone's eyes are different and some are not bothered by the blue cast at all. Again, with the Gen III in preliminary testing I could not discern any blue cast, I think this will prove to be a very neutral scope.

View attachment 7798836

I never realized there could be such a difference. A picture is worth 1000 words with these things for sure. The Minox looks the most natural by a ways to me.

Next time I am at the range I am gonna pay more attention to this when comparing my ATACR & ZCO.

As compared to my TT side by side it’s bluer, but not by much. Certainly not like a 2015 era Nightforce.

Reactions: Glassaholic
One thing I miss about my old Gen2s (I had around 8 at one point) was how accurate the parallax labeling. None of my S&Bs or NFs could even come close to their labeling. NF being the worse to where it doesn’t even make sense how they came to the labeling conclusion.

I’m afraid to try a Gen3 because if the parallax labeling is close to being accurate then I would be tempted to sell all my scopes and I just don’t want to go through that again 🤣

Got mine and got it mounted up on my Vudoo. Just a quick back deck look over the glass is better than the Gen II. Looking out into my woods and the clarity of the trees and leaves was very clear. Knobs were audible and tactile but a little softer than the Gen II. Can’t wait to get it to the range and shoot a match with it.

2359EE7D-ADB6-4B4E-BFDE-C5087112EFA4.jpeg
21F11D21-B8D7-46A4-8DFF-F47C25D5C49D.jpeg

Got mine and got it mounted up on my Vudoo. Just a quick back deck look over the glass is better than the Gen II. Looking out into my woods and the clarity of the trees and leaves was very clear. Knobs were audible and tactile but a little softer than the Gen II. Can’t wait to get it to the range and shoot a match with it.

View attachment 7799514View attachment 7799515
I think it looks great on that rig. Please update what you think when you get more time with it.

Reactions: Rob01
Ran my Gen III last weekend in a rimfire match and initial impressions were this….

Glass: Best that I have had compared to an Athlon Cronus II and a Gen II Razor. Have not spent much time at all with the top tier stuff. I felt that it was clear, and I was able to pick up the non painted targets just fine in a field. I was never left wanting more. I was able to spot .22lr misses and make corrections.

Magnification: Plenty more than I needed to shoot out to 250yards. Anxious to test it out to 500. I did feel that the FOV was pretty good and I could run in the 18-20 range and still quickly find the targets as opposed to the 15-18 range that I normally try to run. I don’t think I ever creeped up above 20x. The parallax for me was pretty spot on.

Turrets: LOVE the new one screw zeroing system. I was zeroed with three rounds and being able to be exact and not between clicks is great. HATE everything else. I prefer to feel the harder clicks like the Gen II. I also had a few stages where the elevation turret slid into a locking position. I guess I’ll add an o-ring to combat that. My marks do line up perfectly with each other.

Am I happy with my purchase at the military rate? Absolutely. Would I ever pay MSRP? No, but none of us do that anyway.

Attachments

• 64C03ECC-D7B5-4AC3-8621-8CF19DF4870C.jpeg
    64C03ECC-D7B5-4AC3-8621-8CF19DF4870C.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 127

View attachment 7799514View attachment 7799515

I have one on order for my .22 build :cool:

Reactions: Rob01
I ran one of mine at the Leupold Steel Challenge last weekend and was happy. I saw trace 7 times, which is more than I have through other scopes (TT,Gen2,S&B, Kahles) and it was unintentional. I have tried in the past to intentionally watch for trace at lower magnifications like the cool kids, but my eyes just don't have the visual acuity to do so. I tend to run my scopes 20+ power on everything to see what i'm shooting at well and to spot where the bullet goes. The FOV and resolution after running it in a two day match I feel is fantastic. The turret on this scope is pretty good. I have 2 Gen 3's, and the other turret is softer and I may send it back in to get it adjusted. That being said, it isn't a deal breaker, and I will be running that one at a 2 day match in 2 weeks.

I ran one of mine at the Leupold Steel Challenge last weekend and was happy. I saw trace 7 times, which is more than I have through other scopes (TT,Gen2,S&B, Kahles) and it was unintentional. I have tried in the past to intentionally watch for trace at lower magnifications like the cool kids, but my eyes just don't have the visual acuity to do so. I tend to run my scopes 20+ power on everything to see what i'm shooting at well and to spot where the bullet goes. The FOV and resolution after running it in a two day match I feel is fantastic. The turret on this scope is pretty good. I have 2 Gen 3's, and the other turret is softer and I may send it back in to get it adjusted. That being said, it isn't a deal breaker, and I will be running that one at a 2 day match in 2 weeks.
The trace is something that caught me by surprise as well! Good scopes, my minox will be in the px when Liberty Optics gets their second batch in.

Reactions: superde
Very happy so far with the whole package aside from the little garbage cover cap pieces, a bikini cover would have been better.

Any recommendations on caps? Was think aadland?

Got mine in and was thinking you were talking about the Defender caps which I didn't understand but now I see they are the same lens protectors that come on the Gen II. They are not scope caps or meant to be used as such. Just protect glass during shipping.

I threw a set of Defender caps on mine and they work great.

Reactions: DangerRanger
Got mine in and was thinking you were talking about the Defender caps which I didn't understand but now I see they are the same lens protectors that come on the Gen II. They are not scope caps or meant to be used as such. Just protect glass during shipping.

I threw a set of Defender caps on mine and they work great.
Yeah I just wish it came with something moderately useful. I should grab some defenders I guess

Yeah I just wish it came with something moderately useful. I should grab some defenders I guess
Some scopes come with caps but a lot don't so I don't expect them. I was actually happy when I saw that post but when I saw the scope understood it.

Reactions: DangerRanger
My order was among the first to be place for the Gen 3 caps and placed on Jan 13; I received them on Jan 29th. Fit and quality is up to their exceptional"standards" and, in my humble opinion, the only scope caps to purchase and why they are the only ones I use

My order was among the first to be place for the Gen 3 caps and placed on Jan 13; I received them on Jan 29th. Fit and quality is up to their exceptional"standards" and, in my humble opinion, the only scope caps to purchase and why they are the only ones I use
Did you receive a tracking/shipment notification from Aadmount pertaining to your order?

I'm liking mine. Very minor CA in bright sunshine with snow on the ground. Nice sharp image, positive turrets and love the zero system. Of the two scopes in the store, this one had perfect alignment of the turret markings. Great field of view, about 3.5 mil more than the Athlon Cronus at 20x. I was able to see more trace on 22 LR during PRS practice than I do with the Athlons...My buddy who runs S&B's was very impressed with the Gen3. Gonna do a side by side comparison to a Tangent Theta next weekend. I did the O ring mod, but I only had a 1/8 in cross section O Ring that seemed to drag on the turret too much. I had a thin zip tie (.094 wide) and used that, feels better

Feb 12th, did a quick side side to my buddy's TT. Glass seems to be comparable based on a bright sunny day with snow on the ground (edge to edge sharpness, lack of CA, good resolution and clarity). With respect to the turrets, the TT has a better feel and is a clear winner. Granted my Razor Gen 3 is new and his TT has been dialed a ton on his PRS rimfire rifle that he has shot for a couple of years. That said, the Gen3 turrets aren't that bad, and I don't mind them.
20220207_090421.jpg
20220207_090321.jpg

Last edited:
Well finally got out today with the Gen III on the Vudoo and met up with my buddy Gary @DownhillFromHere at Woody's to compare the Gen III, Gen II and ZCO 5-27 side by side. Well also to shoot some rimfire to 540 yards also. ;)

There were some broken orange clays out at the 540 yard line which worked out perfectly as a judge of clarity and sharpness. The Gen II worked as many have seen in seeing the broken clays but not sharply. The Gen III and ZCO side by side were tough to give a winner to. We had both on 27x. Gary thinks he would give a slight edge to ZCO and I was seeing almost the exact same clarity and sharpness of the broken clays. It was an overcast day with a hint of sun coming through so a good time to judge as it wasn't bright sunlight day. Both the ZCO and Gen III have great glass.

I also looked at reticle available at 27x also. With the ZCO there was about 7.2 mils to the bottom of the FOV at 27x. The Gen III was about 7.7. Not a big difference as both seem to be fine and give a good FOV.

We did a quick zero at the 50/100 range before going to the 100-540 yard range. Zeroing was nice and easy with the one screw set up. I like it. Went to the 100-540 yard range and put up a little three target swinger at 100 and they had steel at 200, 300, 400 and 540. Got on at 100 simple enough and then went to 200 and got the wind hold and hit and then 300 for same and then 400 with 21.5 mils dialed on and 2 mils of left wind and dropped three shots into about a 4-5" group and then went to 540 and shot the silhouette. 540 was a dial and hold as I dialed on the 26 mils I had in the scope and held another 6 mils over and 2.4 mils of left wind hold. Dropped three on there as well at about 5-6". Could see the impacts on the white steel very easily.

I kept track of parallax and at 50 it was on and at 100 it was on the 100 mark and same for 200 and then started being a little off but as all of us know those marks are just basic references anyways.

I also spun the dial watching for any issues with the knob locking up on me as some have mentioned and I didn't have a problem. I plan to wait until I shoot it in a match and see if there is a problem and if so then just do like some above have. I felt the knob lock and unlock on both the ZCO and the Gen III and the ZCO is a little stiffer in locking/unlocking.

The 7D reticle is nice with the .2 mil marks for hold overs/unders. It worked good for the holdovers I did when shooting 540 and also when I played around at 200-400. I kind of wish it was fully illuminated and not just the main crosshairs but again when I start shooting matches I will see if it matters or not.

All in all I am very happy with the Gen III. I have another on order and that will go on the centerfire when it comes in for those matches.

Well finally got out today with the Gen III on the Vudoo and met up with my buddy Gary @DownhillFromHere at Woody's to compare the Gen III, Gen II and ZCO 5-27 side by side. Well also to shoot some rimfire to 540 yards also. ;)

There were some broken orange clays out at the 540 yard line which worked out perfectly as a judge of clarity and sharpness. The Gen II worked as many have seen in seeing the broken clays but not sharply. The Gen III and ZCO side by side were tough to give a winner to. We had both on 27x. Gary thinks he would give a slight edge to ZCO and I was seeing almost the exact same clarity and sharpness of the broken clays. It was an overcast day with a hint of sun coming through so a good time to judge as it wasn't bright sunlight day. Both the ZCO and Gen III have great glass.

I also looked at reticle available at 27x also. With the ZCO there was about 7.2 mils to the bottom of the FOV at 27x. The Gen III was about 7.7. Not a big difference as both seem to be fine and give a good FOV.

We did a quick zero at the 50/100 range before going to the 100-540 yard range. Zeroing was nice and easy with the one screw set up. I like it. Went to the 100-540 yard range and put up a little three target swinger at 100 and they had steel at 200, 300, 400 and 540. Got on at 100 simple enough and then went to 200 and got the wind hold and hit and then 300 for same and then 400 with 21.5 mils dialed on and 2 mils of left wind and dropped three shots into about a 4-5" group and then went to 540 and shot the silhouette. 540 was a dial and hold as I dialed on the 26 mils I had in the scope and held another 6 mils over and 2.4 mils of left wind hold. Dropped three on there as well at about 5-6". Could see the impacts on the white steel very easily.

I kept track of parallax and at 50 it was on and at 100 it was on the 100 mark and same for 200 and then started being a little off but as all of us know those marks are just basic references anyways.

I also spun the dial watching for any issues with the knob locking up on me as some have mentioned and I didn't have a problem. I plan to wait until I shoot it in a match and see if there is a problem and if so then just do like some above have. I felt the knob lock and unlock on both the ZCO and the Gen III and the ZCO is a little stiffer in locking/unlocking.

The 7D reticle is nice with the .2 mil marks for hold overs/unders. It worked good for the holdovers I did when shooting 540 and also when I played around at 200-400. I kind of wish it was fully illuminated and not just the main crosshairs but again when I start shooting matches I will see if it matters or not.

All in all I am very happy with the Gen III. I have another on order and that will go on the centerfire when it comes in for those matches.
Don’t say that so loud. No one owing a more expensive wants to hear that “it’s just as good.” Jk but we all know it’s true.

Got one coming in tomorrow, wish I had 34mm rings to test it out on my Thursday session but unfortunately they won’t be here till Friday. Liking what am reading so far.

Mine has just been sitting here with nothing to mount it on. Been eager to take it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Islas82
I'm awaiting my Gen III with baited breath. And I DO have something to mount it too!

Good description by Rob. It was a good day to do a comparison, with just enough cloud cover to eliminate mirage. Wind was calm to light from 10 0'clock. I didn't put rounds downrange from Rob's rifle, but he and I did spend quite a bit of time moving from his Vudoo with the Gen-III to my Vudoo with a Gen-II to my centerfire with the ZCO, turning and push/pulling the turrets and discussing clarity and FOV. My observations/impressions:
  • Clarity: As Rob said, I felt the ZCO had a slight edge on the Gen-III - but with the $1k price difference, the value proposition with the Gen-III is an absolute no-brainer. They were very close.
  • BUT. With good light and only 540 yards of range, conditions were not challenging in terms of seeing the target. The true test will be in, say, the Gen-III's ability to discern a shot-up gray plate against a dark berm in shadow 800 yards across a sunny field.
  • The Gen-II was noticeably behind both in clarity - and I'd never had a "gripe" with my Vudoo/Gen-II rig until today. With the Gen-II, I can always see hits on white-painted 300-yard plates, but it's much harder to pick out .22 hits on 400-yard plates with a lot of hits on them. Rob wasn't having any trouble seeing them with the Gen-III (I didn't think to ask ask how much the extra 9x of magnification helped).
  • Gen-III turret feel:
    Rotation is noticeably mushy compared to Gen-II and ZCO. Clicks are distinct and entirely fine, but it's like they're viscous-damped. I'm not sure this is a bad thing; it might help with spinning past the "target" setting under time pressure. Been there done that.
    Turret lock: Yeah, it's much easier to push the elevation turret down to lock on the Gen-III than either the ZCO or Gen-II. That might be the biggest oopsie of the design.
I didn't play with the zero-set so cannot comment on that.

With all that said - I'm ordering one tomorrow. At least one of my Gen-IIs will be going away.

With my Gen 3, I actually did think 'wow' when looking through the glass. Good to know it was comparable to a ZCO, because that's likely a price tag I don't want to entertain at this point in my life.

Gen-III turret feel:
Rotation is noticeably mushy compared to Gen-II and ZCO. Clicks are distinct and entirely fine, but it's like they're viscous-damped. I'm not sure this is a bad thing; it might help with spinning past the "target" setting under time pressure. Been there done that.
Turret lock: Yeah, it's much easier to push the elevation turret down to lock on the Gen-III than either the ZCO or Gen-II. That might be the biggest oopsie of the design.
While i haven’t gotten a chance to compare mine in any normal fashion. Just messing with it next to my ZP5 it’s a noticeable bother for me. My Gen III isn’t going anywhere, ZP5 likely is given all the accounts of the Gen III’s glass quality. Which to be clear I’m not stating is better than my ZP5. I haven’t compared them yet but given the thoughts here and Bill/ILya’s perspective I know it’s in the realm and i like the EBR7D better than the MR4. But from what i can tell there just seems to be sample variance on the turrets. In the area 419 video one of the stand out features of the optic was the new turret. And it sounded that way on camera. Sounded wonderful. However mine in person is just a little underwhelming. By no means bad though and i think vortex will address the issue or make a revision. Because in every other feasible facet they seemed to have knocked it out of the park.

Anywho here is my shody video of the turrets. Like i said i haven’t had time to do anything and don’t even have a spare rifle or rings to mount it on lol

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven
Damn. I must be the only one that is a fan of the quiet turrets.

We ever go to war, imma hear you turds from 2 miles away with your loud ass turrets.
They’re not bad. I just want em loud and crackly lol

We ever go to war, imma hear you turds from 2 miles away with your loud ass turrets.

No I don't mind it either. I can hear it and feel it. Doesn't need to be a trumpet in my ear LOL but I mentioned it as the feel when turning the knob is a little different. That dampened feel like Gary said is about right.

Reactions: JB.IC and 5RWill

I like them muted and somewhat stiff as well. Ive shot two matches and have yet to over run a dial between targets.

Reactions: JB.IC and Rob01
With my Gen 3, I actually did think 'wow' when looking through the glass. Good to know it was comparable to a ZCO, because that's likely a price tag I don't want to entertain at this point in my life.

I wouldn't want to entertain that price ever. LOL Not that it's not worth it but I am a cheap bastard and LE/Mil/FR discounts are better especially at this point in my life. LOL

That’s a fair point maybe the sound isn’t the issue so much as the feel. The tactile feel from click to click is just soft to me. I really like to feel like it’s breaking a twig from click to click. Kahles is still my favorite to this day. Despite the small spacing. I love those turrets. I’ve yet to feel a TT.