• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56

Glass wise I've hear everything from being so close to ZCO and TT to just a touch better than gen 2 to blowing the mark 5 out of water. Seems all over the place when reading. Where do you guys stack the glass at? I'm hoping better than my xrs3. I also hope its better than the mk5 and atarc glass

I'm hoping the newer ones come fixed haha
Got mine about a week ago and had to send in so no. I doubt they will " fix" them. It's probably more cost effective to fix the ones people complain about then fix all of them.

Reactions: Schw15
Glass wise I've hear everything from being so close to ZCO and TT to just a touch better than gen 2 to blowing the mark 5 out of water. Seems all over the place when reading. Where do you guys stack the glass at? I'm hoping better than my xrs3. I also hope its better than the mk5 and atarc glass

It is a clear step up from XRS3, which is just as good as Mk5 and XTR3. Also better than 7-35 ATACR, which is much closer to the XRS3 than it is to the G3 IMHO. It is indeed very close to ZCO and TT - but I've written this before...

^That said, I also found ZCO and TT very different. Think I wrote about that at the time also.

It is a clear step up from XRS3, which is just as good as Mk5 and XTR3. Also better than 7-35 ATACR, which is much closer to the XRS3 than it is to the G3 IMHO. It is indeed very close to ZCO and TT - but I've written this before...
You prolly did and I prolly read it and forgot haha 😄 I'm excited to try it out. I really like the xrs3 so if it's that much better I will be set for life

Got mine about a week ago and had to send in so no. I doubt they will " fix" them. It's probably more cost effective to fix the ones people complain about then fix all of them.
I can see that. I found mk machine has the simple plastic ring to fix the locking turret issue. I'm use to mushy turrets with the bushnell xrs3

I can see that. I found mk machine has the simple plastic ring to fix the locking turret issue. I'm use to mushy turrets with the bushnell xrs3
By all reports if you send it in they fix it and they are gtg.

My 2 were fine, but I'm not a turret snob either. I could tell that TT were the best, but ZCO and G3 feel the same to me - and if I had never read about the magical turrets of the TT, I'm not sure I would have noticed.

Ordered a Gen 3 several months ago and it came this afternoon. The turrets are every bit as good in locking and tactile feel when dialing as the Gen 2s I have. Parallax is a little stiffer but the magnification ring is considerably easier/smoother than my other Razors. Hopefully they’ve got things worked out now and going forward the turrets will be more to everyone’s expectations.

Be sure to specify you just want the elevation turret deleted I forgot to and both are gone lol. I might be eating the label on this one cause of my ignorance but the turrets are excellent now

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800 and Blort

Be sure to specify you just want the elevation turret deleted I forgot to and both are gone lol. I might be eating the label on this one cause of my ignorance but the turrets are excellent now

I think an insert is probably the way to go. Retaining the up and down function just seems annoying to me and a little counterintuitive to create a difference in how the elevation and windage turrets work.

Reactions: DLS
I think an insert is probably the way to go. Retaining the up and down function just seems annoying to me and a little counterintuitive to create a difference in how the elevation and windage turrets work.
Yeah admittedly i was hoping it wouldn’t lift. But i don’t foresee myself pulling up to turn it and it haphazardly being an issue. I do truthfully think had they not done a locking design the turret would be perfect. I really like the size it’s kinda reminiscent of the premier stuff. That and a capped windage and maybe the color black and boom. Perfection.

All in all it’s an incredible optic. And the turrets sound much much better this go round than the original revision.

I requested that the elevation turret lock be removed and that the turret would not pop up. Came back just as I asked. Mounted it up and shot it for the first time today. Pretty stoked on this scope. Turrets are now just as good as my Gen II and the glass is a very noticeable improvement.

I requested that the elevation turret lock be removed and that the turret would not pop up. Came back just as I asked. Mounted it up and shot it for the first time today. Pretty stoked on this scope. Turrets are now just as good as my Gen II and the glass is a very noticeable improvement.
Wait i can get the elevation turret to not slide up also? Lol damn i gotta contact them again

When zeroing the optic, is the clickless adjustment accurate? I’ve had 4 gen 2s (still have 2) and the internal adjustment is but a suggestion. If the internal adjustment is accurate to where I can mark the dial for a switch barrel, I may give one a shot.

I just got my gen lll back from having the turrets fixed, and imho the turrets are now very close to perfect. My main complaint was how easily the lock would re-engage, but there now seems to be a detent which is great. Vortex was fast getting the work done and getting it back to me which is also great. My only question is why these aren’t coming from the factory this way now? Why are new scopes having to be sent back to be made right? Anyway, if you have a gen lll the turret update is definitely worth doing.

Reactions: Bravo6
I just got my gen lll back from having the turrets fixed, and imho the turrets are now very close to perfect. My main complaint was how easily the lock would re-engage, but there now seems to be a detent which is great. Vortex was fast getting the work done and getting it back to me which is also great. My only question is why these aren’t coming from the factory this way now? Why are new scopes having to be sent back to be made right? Anyway, if you have a gen lll the turret update is definitely worth doing.
I sent one in a couple of weeks ago and this was my exact expeience as well. I don't believe that this was always the case with some of the early scopes that were returned this spring but Vortex definitely seems to have this figured out now.

Reactions: photorestore
A friend of mine just got his Gen 3 that he ordered 8 months ago and "out of the box" the turrets are as good as the Gen2. His experience is identical to mine on a scope which came in November 11th.

I just got 2 that I ordered a few days ago and the turrets are great. No chance on accidentally engaging the lock either, the only reason I would send either of mine in would be to delete the elevation lock.

Are you guys still finding them for around $2000? I called optics planet and that would do a little over $2500

I ordered one in September that came late October. The turret feel and the glass is a little better on this one versus one I bought in January. It also came with lens caps in the box which was nice.

what's lead time with liberty now for that veterans day sale? still 60 days?

what's lead time with liberty now for that veterans day sale? still 60 days?

When I bought mine in late October the lead time was 60 days and I got both of mine in just over 30.

I have to wonder how individual perception plays into this. When I got mine it had what I would call very fine or "tiny" clicks. Was it functional like that? Probably, but I had read some much about the clicks that I was waiting for the scope to arrive already predisposed to send it in for warranty. Also the locking was non existent on mine the turrets slid up and down freely. It came back in 2 weeks with "updated turrets". Holy shit the clicks went from click,click,click to CLICK,CLICK,CLICK. I mean holy click Batman. And the locks now lock, nothing too aggressive just a subtle click.

Are you guys still finding them for around $2000? I called optics planet and that would do a little over $2500

Since wild pricing goes on around on the internet, the standard dealers' price on the Razor Gen III is much more than $2,000.00 FYI
So there's no way even op is going to sell you something for less than what they pay for it.

Reactions: Poorboyr
...especially when some vendors around here rat out other vendors around here for giving guys deals they can't/won't match...
This is just stupid. Why would a vendor sell you a product below their cost? That makes absolutely no sense. And depending on what type deal the vendor has with the manufacturer, I'm willing to bet not everyone gets the same price sheet.

The cost of goods is different for each vendor depending on how much business they do a year with the manufacturer. Some people's cost is less than others.

So I finally looked at one and that one at the store had decent clicks the locking turret made a small click but when spinning turret it would fall. I think I'd be happy with the turrets and add the mkm plastic to stop the locking.

So I finally looked at one and that one at the store had decent clicks the locking turret made a small click but when spinning turret it would fall. I think I'd be happy with the turrets and add the mkm plastic to stop the locking.

Thx! I just ordered the MKM spacer. Didn't know this product existed

Just send it to vortex and let them delete the lock and turret lift

Just send it to vortex and let them delete the lock and turret lift
I might do that when mine shows up. But that was the first one I played with. For a quick easy fix if your happy with turret clicks that spacer I think is a great option. I was kind of disappointed that the turret fell while spinning.

Also another thing I noticed on that demo one I went to spin the turret to see how many mils and wasn't much I'm sure you have to play with the turrets after sighting in and everything.

Also another thing I noticed on that demo one I went to spin the turret to see how many mils and wasn't much I'm sure you have to play with the turrets after sighting in and everything.

Mine has 23.5 from a 100yd zero on a 20moa rail.

On mine out of the box, I could go up 18.1 mills. Once the zero stop was removed I could dial down 18.1 mills. Total travel is 36.2 mills, which is exactly what Vortex states in their specs.

That's still enough to get you out to about a mile on most rifles, little further on others. I find that to be quite a bit less than other scopes in this price range. I don't believe I have a single optic that has less than 25-30mils available from zero on a 20MOA rail. Not like I'd use em. I don't have any rifles that'd be much use out past 1 mile. I'd just call in arty or CAS instead of trying to bracket with a round travelling 800fps at that range.

26.7 mil with 40 MOA of cant with 100yd zero 185gr Juggernaut .308 Win.
25.1 mil with 40 MOA of cant with 100yd zero 208gr AMAX .300 Win. Mag.

Last edited:
Reactions: murphslaw
Anyone use one of these spacers on the elevation turret?

Makes it non-locking and has a fiber optic highlighted reference for the index mark. Found them for sale on eBay under the title "Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36 Fiber Optic Turret Spacer" for $35:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 918v and b6graham
Way too much. Go to the hardware store and get a slim o-ring that will fit in the groove and the right diameter for 47 cents.

Reactions: oso1 and b6graham
Got my Tenabraex caps in. They're Vortex brown FWIW which I like cause it blends. I think Vortex forgot to delete the lift on the elevation turret but Idk that i'll be sending it back again. I just wont lift up I guess.

Here's why I'm asking for the erector dimension.

MPA has two bolt action mounts
1.060 high has 0.145″ of clearance for the erector- MPA says this one will not work with a Razor
1.125 high has 0.210″ of clearance- MPA says this one WILL work with a razor

Very small difference, but I'd prefer the lower if I can make it work- both because I prefer the lower height, and because it's in stock. I don't know how the Gen 2 and Gen 3 erector heights compare, whether it may work with the 3. Also, if it's a minor amount of interference, I'm not afraid to mill it to fit but I don't want to take off enough to make a structural difference. I'd like to have one in hand when the scope gets here.

MPA.jpg