• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50 RZR-1591

Gunner2590

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2020
I noticed eurooptic has a version of the Razor HD LHT for sale much lower than I have seen anywhere else. They have the usual models that vortex shows on their website then they have a 3-15x50 moa and MRAD version for $799 and $699. Anyone have any idea what the difference is between these and the other models besides the reticle? The msrp listed for them is lower as well so I’m assuming they’re a lower tier model in some way but I can’t seem to find any other info on them.

Maybe the MRAD isn’t selling as well as vortex would like and they’re clearing out inventory? Similarly, why is the G4i more expensive than the MOA? Alternatively, could be quantity discounts that EO is passing along to us because they’re making and selling hella more MRAD than MOA than G4.

Specs look identical, reticle etching should be the same cost, etc. Can’t think of any real justification.

Maybe the MRAD isn’t selling as well as vortex would like and they’re clearing out inventory? Similarly, why is the G4i more expensive than the MOA? Alternatively, could be quantity discounts that EO is passing along to us because they’re making and selling hella more MRAD than MOA than G4.

Specs look identical, reticle etching should be the same cost, etc. Can’t think of any real justification.

I'm guessing this is correct, seems like people are finally realizing the advantages of MOA over MRAD.

Or it could be that Eurooptic has special deal where Vortex has put the HSR-5i reticle in the x50 rather than just the G4 usually offered.

That's sorta how large companies can work around MAP limitations: they get a slightly different configuration made just for them and it is not subject to MAP on the regular models.

ILya

Some more research has shown that they are likely special runs made specifically for eurooptic. I’m going to call vortex in the morning and confirm that there aren’t any actual differences. The description on the new versions is more vague about lens coatings and some other stuff so we will see.

Additionally, it would look like the the FOV on the 50mm objective versions have a MUCH larger FOV than the 44mm versions.

50mm FOV: 35.3 to 7ft @ 100 yards
44mm FOV: 24.6 to 6.3ft @ 100 yards

Aside from the 1.4 ounce weight decrease, do you gain anything from the 44mm?

Last edited:
Additionally, it would look like the the FOV on the 50mm objective versions have a MUCH larger FOV than the 44mm versions.

It can sit slightly lower, so getting a good cheek weld with a lightweight traditional stock without a riser or pad is slightly less of a pain in the butt.

The 42mm FOV is the same as the 50mm, 35.3-7.0 per Vortex website.

The 42mm makes for a slight smaller and lighter package at the expense of less light gathering.

The 42mm FOV is the same as the 50mm, 35.3-7.0 per Vortex website.

The 42mm makes for a slight smaller and lighter package at the expense of less light gathering.
FOV listed incorrectly on the eurooptic website.

It can sit slightly lower, so getting a good cheek weld with a lightweight traditional stock without a riser or pad is slightly less of a pain in the butt.

The low hawkins rings on a bolt gun will fit a 50mm objective. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's sorta how large companies can work around MAP limitations: they get a slightly different configuration made just for them and it is not subject to MAP on the regular models.

ILya

It also seems the EuroOptic version is cost-saved by not including the "Free Custom Ballistic Strip Coupon".

Some more research has shown that they are likely special runs made specifically for eurooptic. I’m going to call vortex in the morning and confirm that there aren’t any actual differences. The description on the new versions is more vague about lens coatings and some other stuff so we will see.

Called Vortex this morning. They confirmed there is exactly zero difference between the version they have on their website with the G4i BDC reticle and the version on EuroOptic/Scopelist that has the HSR-5i reticle.

When I asked if they had made a "one off" version for EuroOptic/Scopelist he confirmed that was the case.

Called Vortex this morning. They confirmed there is exactly zero difference between the version they have on their website with the G4i BDC reticle and the version on EuroOptic/Scopelist that has the HSR-5i reticle.

When I asked if they had made a "one off" version for EuroOptic/Scopelist he confirmed that was the case.

Yep, and a stupid good deal for this scope.

I have two 42mm versions with HSR5i Mil ret...............I purchased one Eurooptic 50mm version with HSR5i reticle. Directly compared, no difference other than markings on the parallax knob.

Needless to say, I have two more Eurooptic 50mm HSR5i reticle scopes in Route..............should be here end of week. NOTHING can come close for the money in a 2nd focal plane scope that has it's benefits for predator hunting and calling coyotes.....in my educated and experienced opinion.

Don't dally..........my first Eurooptic scope was purchased a few weeks ago for $799...........not sure why they dropped to $699, but I didn't ask questions and quickly purchased two more.

Reactions: prwillard2
Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 HSR5i Mil mounted on a custom Browning Micro Abolt in 19 Calhoon Hornet
S0odaTJ.jpg

Note parallax knob markings......
FlbZW6c.jpg

"Eurooptic Special" Razor HD LHT 3-15x50mm HSR5i Mil mounted on Dakota Varminter 17 Fireball
dw7AhuJ.jpg

Note the parallax markings are only 20 and Infinity compared to multiple yardages on the 42mm Version
QEgLvl4.jpg

xtaESjn.jpg

Note parallax markings..............
brDFBGj.jpg

All accessories, Zero Stop, etc...........same with both scopes. Only difference I see is parallax markings between the "Eurooptic Special" and other versions.......which were purchased from Sportoptics.com

Last edited:
It also seems the EuroOptic version is cost-saved by not including the "Free Custom Ballistic Strip Coupon".

Did you buy one? Mine came with the same paperwork and the same worthless "Free custom ballistic strip coupon" that I don't know why anyone would use or care about.
But, it did come with it, same as the 42mm versions I purchased from Sportoptics

Did you buy one? Mine came with the same paperwork and the same worthless "Free custom ballistic strip coupon" that I don't know why anyone would use or care about.
But, it did come with it, same as the 42mm versions I purchased from Sportoptics

Nope, I just noticed it's absent from the included stuff listing on the EuroOptic special versions; where it is listed on EuroOptic for the standard version.

Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 HSR5i Mil mounted on a custom Browning Micro Abolt in 19 Calhoon Hornet
S0odaTJ.jpg

Note parallax knob markings......
FlbZW6c.jpg

"Eurooptic Special" Razor HD LHT 3-15x50mm HSR5i Mil mounted on Dakota Varminter 17 Fireball
dw7AhuJ.jpg

Note the parallax markings are only 20 and Infinity compared to multiple yardages on the 42mm Version
QEgLvl4.jpg

xtaESjn.jpg

Note parallax markings..............
brDFBGj.jpg

All accessories, Zero Stop, etc...........same with both scopes. Only difference I see is parallax markings between the "Eurooptic Special" and other versions.......which were purchased from Sportoptics.com

Any issues getting a good cheek weld on the 50mm version? Those look to be low rings as well. I just put in an order for mine, $699 is a smoking good price. I don't care about the parallax markings as I just fiddle with the knob until it's the most focused to my eye.

Reactions: screaminweasil
Any issues getting a good cheek weld on the 50mm version? Those look to be low rings as well. I just put in an order for mine, $699 is a smoking good price. I don't care about the parallax markings as I just fiddle with the knob until it's the most focused to my eye.

No issues at all. The eyebox on this scope is very forgiving.

You will be BLOWN away by the glass quality. Just be sure to "tune" the ocular/reticle focus for your eye to get the most out of it.

I have also done tracking tests to 10 mils on the 3 I currently have, they have been dead on.

Thanks for the help guys. I was going to call vortex but it sounds like it’s all sorted out. I did talk to Eurooptic this morning and they echoed the same thing vortex said, and actually mentioned the parallax lacking all the numbers. I specifically asked about the lenses and coatings since the description was slightly different and didn’t mention them all by name and they said it’s all the same.

Ended up ordering the MRAD version for $699 along with the defender scope caps and seekins low rings. I had been waiting months for vortex to get the 42mm MRAD version back in stock on expert voice and I’m glad I had to wait because this was an even better deal for what should be a slightly better scope.

One more question while you guys are here. I’m putting this scope on a tikka t3x ctr with factory Picatinny base and seekins rings. I was going to get medium rings just to be safe but amazon had the lows for $110 right now and mediums are still $130. Anyone know from experience if this combo should work with seekins low rings and still have enough room for the vortex lens covers?

You will be BLOWN away by the glass quality. Just be sure to "tune" the ocular/reticle focus for your eye to get the most out of it.

I have also done tracking tests to 10 mils on the 3 I currently have, they have been dead on.

Awesome news. This is going to be going on my ultralight 6.5 SAUM rifle. Will have to wait until I get home in July to test it out, but couldn't pass up this price. EuroOptic can't be making much money from this deal.

Thanks for the help guys. I was going to call vortex but it sounds like it’s all sorted out. I did talk to Eurooptic this morning and they echoed the same thing vortex said, and actually mentioned the parallax lacking all the numbers. I specifically asked about the lenses and coatings since the description was slightly different and didn’t mention them all by name and they said it’s all the same.

Ended up ordering the MRAD version for $699 along with the defender scope caps and seekins low rings. I had been waiting months for vortex to get the 42mm MRAD version back in stock on expert voice and I’m glad I had to wait because this was an even better deal for what should be a slightly better scope.

One more question while you guys are here. I’m putting this scope on a tikka t3x ctr with factory Picatinny base and seekins rings. I was going to get medium rings just to be safe but amazon had the lows for $110 right now and mediums are still $130. Anyone know from experience if this combo should work with seekins low rings and still have enough room for the vortex lens covers?

Which defender caps did you get?

E-10 and O-50 seem to be the proper caps. I’ll let you know hopefully tomorrow how they fit. Both my amazon and eurooptic orders are supposed to arrive next day which is impressive.

Scope arrived next day from Eurooptic. Scope caps listed above both fit. Seekins low rings will not work for the 50mm razor hd lht on a Tikka t3x CTR for anyone who is wondering. Will be sending the rings back to amazon and getting either mediums or highs.

Tikka T3X CTR with factory base will need at least the medium but more likely the medium-high Seekins rings for the Vortex HD LHT scopes with 50mm objective, just in case anyone was wondering. I ended up getting the high rings because they were on sale on Amazon for $110 and with the Vortex Defender scope caps there is probably a 1/16” gap. I’m glad I didn’t go any lower.

Attachments

• 10CB4C7D-F84D-40F0-82B3-B7B295826DE9.jpeg
    10CB4C7D-F84D-40F0-82B3-B7B295826DE9.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 147
I just put one (42mm version) on a Tikka 3TX CTR using Vortex PMR rings which are .76 height. Clearance of the bell to barrel is about 1/8”. Bought a scope cover instead of the defender flip caps due to the low clearance.

Last edited:
Please elaborate on these advantages
MOA seems to be the standard of measure at most ranges and by pros at the ranges. MRAD is kinda' like metric vs. standard inches, you have to mentally convert the MRAD reading to get an MOA value. No problem if all your rifles have MOA scopes or all MRAD. it's just annoying if you have a mix and have to go back and forth to keep the dial-ups the same. At least for me....

Also, many rifles have a 20 MOA rail on them. I have never seen a company offer a rifle with an MRAD rail on them. I don't think it's as much the MOA measuring system being an advantage as much as it is just being accepted more as a standard that other products are measured by and are adapted to.

Last edited:
Mils are a unit of angular measurement.
It's the scope reticle and turret mechanism that is graduated, not the rail.
No doubt the rail gives you blah blah adjustment at blah blah range.
This can be achieved with height of scope rings too.
Probably just call it a MOA rail for marketing purposes?
Each to their own, on preference of MOA or MRAD.

Last edited:
Anyone have any comparative reviews of this optic? How's it stack up with other Vortex Razor products or other lightweight optics?

I have the scope mentioned in the string above and a Gen 2 Razor as well. Glass quality between the two looks the same to me.

• Love
So they're not offering the RZR-1591 anymore?
I got an "in stock" alert at 2:30AM last night, and by 3 AM they were gone. When I asked the EuroOptic rep about if they were discontinued or not the rep avoided the question, and only said "we only got a couple in and they were sold in minutes" if that tells you anything.

Europtic optic had them back on sale last time I looked. Nice scope for the $ and very light weight. I've had it for awhile and it's held up fine.

I have the 1591 (still waiting for someone to explain to me how MOA is better than mil. But, since I learned on mil reticle, MOA turret, I won't hold my breath while waiting.)

Someone above said you would be blown away by the glass. I have not been. I also run a few razors of various configurations and several true top tier scopes. "Blown away for price range", maybe closer. "entirely accepting, given the price", I can get behind that one.

The scope isn't bad, it isn't a great eye box, it's low light performance isn't awesome, and the image - to me - is very flat and muted. That said, I have yet to not take a shot because the image wasn't Tangent Theta pretty.

Mine has no tracking issues, though it sits on a hunter that never gets turrets spun.

For the money, I like it. Will I tell the world to sell their ZCOs and TTs and get this; absolutely not.

Nor would anyone reasonable or halfway intelligent expect them to be as good.

Reactions: Earnhardt