• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD LHT Input

smacha538

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2014
Sugar Land, Tx.
So how do we all feel about this offering from Vortex? Looking for some recent thoughts and impressions. Also, how does it compare to say the Bushnell DMR2 line. Any other comparable scopes to consider?

Reactions: Bravo6
I have one of the Vortex LHTs....I really like the nice clear glass! Only downside is I use them for hunting at night, and the lowest illumination setting seems just a tad too bright for use in complete darkness, the Trijicon Accupoints seem better for night use. If you are using them for day time shooting, my scope seems absolutely impressive. Haven't had a chance to dial it out yet, but I love how light it is at 19oz or so.

Reactions: smacha538
The razor lht is not comparable to the bushnell dmr2 line of scopes. Different scope for a different purpose. If you are asking about the clarity of the two, the Razor is much much clearer and sharper.

I really like my Razor LHT. The power ring and parralax dial are very stiff which is my only gripe.

Reactions: rookie7
The razor lht is not comparable to the bushnell dmr2 line of scopes. Different scope for a different purpose. If you are asking about the clarity of the two, the Razor is much much clearer and sharper.

I really like my Razor LHT. The power ring and parralax dial are very stiff which is my only gripe.

Good deal. Is it more comparable to the DMR Pro or XRS2?

I have had an XRSII a couple years ago, but without having it now I couldn’t say for sure.

I have an LHT -- 3-15x42

Glass is awesome

Turrets feel good and it has performed perfectly so far --- However, I just switched it to a new rifle (Tikka) and I have not been able to use it much yet.

I bought the scope after Ilya recommended it --- I am very glad I got it.

But I agree the power ring is a bit stiff

Reactions: Bravo6
It’s a great hunting scope (well I think it will be a great hunting scope)

glass is great, light, compact, good reticle for all around hunting

elevation turret is good, pretty long space between clicks and more of a “clunk” than a click. Windage turret is mushy. So, I wish they had put a little more effort into the turret feel, but for its use meh

My 3-15x42 is a great scope for the money. I love how you zero the turret (probably my favorite of all time). The zero stop is a great design that is quick and easy.

I really only have two minor complaint about the scope. Although the scope has great resolution in the center of the optic, I find the edge clarity to be lacking slightly. And on 15x the optic has a fairly finicky eyebox. I much preferred this optic over my Mark 5 HD 3-18. I thought the Mark 5 HD was lacking way to much pure resolution for the price tag. But the LHT is still not the scope my AMG or Kahles 6-24 was, nor do I expect it to be.

For the price tag the LHT is a great lightweight scope and my go to predator hunting optic.

Reactions: DangerRanger
My 3-15x42 is a great scope for the money. I love how you zero the turret (probably my favorite of all time). The zero stop is a great design that is quick and easy.

I really only have two minor complaint about the scope. Although the scope has great resolution in the center of the optic, I find the edge clarity to be lacking slightly. And on 15x the optic has a fairly finicky eyebox. I much preferred this optic over my Mark 5 HD 3-18. I thought the Mark 5 HD was lacking way to much pure resolution for the price tag. But the LHT is still not the scope my AMG or Kahles 6-24 was, nor do I expect it to be.

For the price tag the LHT is a great lightweight scope and my go to predator hunting optic.

Have you adjusted the ocular to increase the resolution for your eye? I have several original light hunters in 1.5-8x and 2-10x and found that even though I could see the reticle just fine, adjusting the ocular/reticle focus forward several full revolutions from the factory setting greating increased the clarity of the scope for my eyes. Particularly "edge clarity" as you note.

I also have ONE of the new Razor LHT scopes in 3-15x42 with Milrad reticle and adjusted the ocular inward several turns from factory setting and find the clarity astoundingly good.....clear out to the edges.

Comparing on Tripod......side by side it has bested Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 and Athlon Ares ETR for resolution/contrast clear to the edges.

Hope that helps

Some hide vendors have this scope under $800 shipped and for that price, it's astounding. Ive done tracking tests on mine out to 10 Mil and it's been PERFECT. Slick scopes, I'm getting ready to buy my 2nd.

Reactions: Nodayhunter
Some hide vendors have this scope under $800 shipped and for that price, it's astounding. Ive done tracking tests on mine out to 10 Mil and it's been PERFECT. Slick scopes, I'm getting ready to buy my 2nd.

Which ones? I’m interested in getting one. I can get the Military discount, but would actually utilize a vendor if they’re close in delivered price.

Have you adjusted the ocular to increase the resolution for your eye? I have several original light hunters in 1.5-8x and 2-10x and found that even though I could see the reticle just fine, adjusting the ocular/reticle focus forward several full revolutions from the factory setting greating increased the clarity of the scope for my eyes. Particularly "edge clarity" as you note.

I also have ONE of the new Razor LHT scopes in 3-15x42 with Milrad reticle and adjusted the ocular inward several turns from factory setting and find the clarity astoundingly good.....clear out to the edges.

Comparing on Tripod......side by side it has bested Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 and Athlon Ares ETR for resolution/contrast clear to the edges.

Hope that helps

I have tired adjusting a few turns in and a few turns out, but I have not tried it throughout the whole adjustment range. I did notice the reticle always stayed clear as you described. I'm going to try that throughout the entire adjustment range in the next few days and see if it clears up my edge clarity. I sure hope it works because that would literally make this scope perfect for my application !

I have tired adjusting a few turns in and a few turns out, but I have not tried it throughout the whole adjustment range. I did notice the reticle always stayed clear as you described. I'm going to try that throughout the entire adjustment range in the next few days and see if it clears up my edge clarity. I sure hope it works because that would literally make this scope perfect for my application !

I believe I'm around 4 full revolutions from factory setting.........clockwise/inward. Respond back with what you find out. Otherwise, if it's still notably less clear on the edges, I'd send it back. Mine has a beautiful image. Look forward to what you report back.

I own a couple in MOA. They’re a near-perfect hunting scope. Best combination yet of size, weight, magnification range, turrets, reticle, glass, mounting space, eye relief, and price. And you can chose between MOA or MIL! It’s everything the Leupold VX-5/6 should have been. We’ll see how it hunts this fall.

I own a couple in MOA. They’re a near-perfect hunting scope. Best combination yet of size, weight, magnification range, turrets, reticle, glass, mounting space, eye relief, and price. And you can chose between MOA or MIL! It’s everything the Leupold VX-5/6 should have been. We’ll see how it hunts this fall.

Agreed..........my 2nd in Mil is on the way. They are phenomenal scopes. My first one nailed a 10mil Tall Target test and has been perfect so far with several hundred dialing rounds through it. It sits on a Kimber Longmaster Classic in .223 and the 2nd focal plane is perfect for calling coyotes. I can't wait to use it in that application. My 2nd is going on a Bergara fast twist 22-250 and should hopefully drop a black bear and mule deer this fall. Exciting scopes, incredible so far in every aspect, and at around $800 a bargain in my experience.

Does anyone have any more tall target reports or rough treatment experience with this scope?

Vortex just sent me this in 3-15x42 after my LH 2-10's erector broke. Seeing as I bought that LH at Sportsman's closeout deal for $400, I am feeling pretty good. The LHT seems to have everything I could want for my T3x hunting rifle though I am curious how it will hold up in the long term. I will keep a SWFA 3-9 ready to sub in.

I have one on a kidd Supergrade. Solid for shooting groups with my heavy barrel in and also going to use for squirrel hunting this winter. My only concern is the power ring is extremely stiff. Almost Shockingly stiff. Can that loosen up over time? I ordered a throw lever for it tonight for it to hopefully help. I change the power constantly when squirrel hunting.

I have three 3-15x42 HD LH Razor's which is the older model and I've always been pleased with the optical quality but the turrets sucked. The new LHT is supposed to have much better turrets and as good or even better optics.

Reactions: kyzim311
I just got mine out to the range today and I am disappointed. The zero stop is not functioning. It appears the little metal post in the turret cap is not long enough to engage in the zero stop ring groove and is spinning freely. Pretty bummed for a $800 scope.

It actually appears my scope came with the wrong zero stop ring, I’m annoyed.

Last edited:
Just got mine and mounted it in some ARC M10 rings atop my 300WM hunting rifle, if our B...H Governor ever lifts restrictions and my membership range is allowed to re-open I'll report back. Initial impressions are I think I got my moneys worth, very good glass decent elevation turret , adequate windage and capped for hunting, mine is the 50mm objective!

I have one on a kidd Supergrade. Solid for shooting groups with my heavy barrel in and also going to use for squirrel hunting this winter. My only concern is the power ring is extremely stiff. Almost Shockingly stiff. Can that loosen up over time? I ordered a throw lever for it tonight for it to hopefully help. I change the power constantly when squirrel hunting.

I’d glad to see I’m not the only one planning on one of these for a rimfire. I’m going to order the 42mm Mil for my Tikka T1x. It seemed to be the only scope I could find to fit the bill of what I was looking for. Decent glass, lightweight, low parallax adjustment, could potentially be used as a dual purpose squirrel optic and NRL22/longer range 22lr fun.

Last edited:
I love these scopes... Clarity is excellent. Lightweight, zero stop is easy to use, and reticle is usable. I have one that I have used out to 800 on a 260 CTR. I will be picking up another one for my Tikka 300 WM.

Since these scopes have been out for about a year now, how is everyone feeling about the durability of them? I've got one on my 300 WSM hunting rig but really haven't been able to put it to the test. Thinking about purchasing another for a 6.5 Grendel gas gun build. Just wondering if anyone has been able to do a tracking test or put some miles on one the last year. Stuck between purchasing another LHT or a Nightforce SHV for my new build.

Thanks

Since these scopes have been out for about a year now, how is everyone feeling about the durability of them? I've got one on my 300 WSM hunting rig but really haven't been able to put it to the test. Thinking about purchasing another for a 6.5 Grendel gas gun build. Just wondering if anyone has been able to do a tracking test or put some miles on one the last year. Stuck between purchasing another LHT or a Nightforce SHV for my new build.

Thanks
Just bumping this, Interested to hear how they are holding up.

Reactions: Cccook8
Bump for reliability reports. I have had mine for almost a year doing mostly light South Texas hunting. No issues so far, going to order another for the T1x. Hard to beat scope in the category of decent glass, lightweight, illuminated dot, and a semicapped/captive elevation turret with click down.

No issues so far but haven’t treated it poorly

Lots of cold bore dialing after riding in the truck without a case, never an issue

Just ordered an LHT 3-15x42 MRAD. Thanks to this thread for pushing me over the edge...been wanting one of these for over a year now. Can’t wait to get it.